The Celtic All Seasons thread

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Claiming a derby is one of the biggest in world football while maintaining the position that any such rivalry between the two sides only started 11 years ago would be a take.

I’ve seen many people leverage all sorts of things to discredit the notion of it being a new club however this is one of the most creative…and funny

Well played however are you now also suggesting your club aren’t that big of a deal anymore? Is “The Famous” another monicker that now belongs 6 feet under?

Edited by Jinky67

49 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

His assertion that it’s among one of the biggest derbies in the world? A quick google search does that mate as just about every article that comes back with a hit mentions the Glasgow derby, Christ someone even used ChatGPT to compile such a list and it gets a hit. 

Raidernation mentions specific tv viewership though which Greenlatern doesn’t, and being that i work for a very large TV company owned by a huge American network, I’m looking at viewership figures for all sorts of content including sports as part of my daily working life so when someone used such a specific measurement then I’m of course curious. Is that fair enough? 

As the Alphaville song title suggests, we are big in Japan 😉

So you have the global viewership statistics to hand? 

Seems a more relevant measure than a chat GPT list imvho. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

So you have the global viewership statistics to hand? 

Seems a more relevant measure than a chat GPT list imvho. 

On a Sunday whilst on annual leave, absolutely not which is why I wouldn’t be daft enough to post as fact that the viewership of a Glasgow Derby is higher than that of Lacrosse or tig knowing full well I’d be called out on it and asked to prove it. Raider does seem to know that so he is being asked to prove it.

You running interference for your fellow fan is admirable however please allow him to answer my simple and straightforward question and I will happily answer yours when i‘m back at work with access to the figures you ask for, although it wouldn’t be global viewership I could provide just viewership across our own platforms. Does that sound fair?

Edited by Jinky67

45 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

On a Sunday whilst on annual leave, absolutely not which is why I wouldn’t be daft enough to post as fact that the viewership of a Glasgow Derby is higher than that of Lacrosse or tig knowing full well I’d be called out on it and asked to prove it. Raider does seem to know that so he is being asked to prove it.

You running interference for your fellow fan is admirable however please allow him to answer my simple and straightforward question and I will happily answer yours when i‘m back at work with access to the figures you ask for, although it wouldn’t be global viewership I could provide just viewership across our own platforms. Does that sound fair?

Well, viewership across ‘our own’ platforms wouldn’t do much good in supporting the assertion that it’s one of the biggest in the world, would it? 

Hits on google suggest people have heard of it, not that they actually watch it. 

Just seems there was maybe some bias at play in accepting one pretty bold assertion but you demanded evidence when it was challenged. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well, viewership across ‘our own’ platforms wouldn’t do much good in supporting the assertion that it’s one of the biggest in the world, would it? 

Hits on google suggest people have heard of it, not that they actually watch it. 

Just seems there was maybe some bias at play in accepting one pretty bold assertion but you demanded evidence when it was challenged. 

He'll be back in a moment to tell you you're wrong...

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mate I didn’t claim to be able to provide you global viewership numbers in the first place you seem to have made an incorrect assumption that I could. What I can do is provide you them across a subscriber base in excess of 100 million people across Europe and the US via CBS and Paramount + who provide coverage of the SPFL in the States. You can let me know if this is a big enough viewership platform for you to form an opinion on.

Secondly Greenlantern didn’t allude to it being the most watched fixture or mention viewing figures at all just that it was one of the biggest in the world, how he quantifies that I don’t know but you could ask him? Raider however did use viewing figures as a specific measure of interest and gave a specific example where it is watched less than Lacrosse or Tig so since he offered that specific measure and claims it fact it isn’t unfair to ask him to validate that. You strangely seem to take umbrage to this. 

Just let him answer the question 😉

Edited by Jinky67

On 27/07/2023 at 21:35, Jinky67 said:

I guess we will but let’s not forget why we are at this point 😉

IMG_7256.jpeg

That’s really it isn’t it. Celtic broke the first version of Rangers eventually (took 130 years or however long) and then managed to completely break the spirit of the new club within about 6 years. I know Rangers have won a title since then and fair play for that but overall Celtic have absolutely broken them.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Mate I didn’t claim to be able to provide you global viewership numbers in the first place you seem to have made an incorrect assumption that I could. What I can do is provide you them across a subscriber base in excess of 100 million people across Europe and the US via CBS and Paramount + who provide coverage of the SPFL in the States. You can let me know if this is a big enough viewership platform for you to form an opinion on.

Secondly Greenlantern didn’t allude to it being the most watched fixture or mention viewing figures at all just that it was one of the biggest in the world, how he quantifies that I don’t know but you could ask him? Raider however did use viewing figures as a specific measure of interest and gave a specific example where it is watched less than Lacrosse or Tig so since he offered that specific measure and claims it fact it isn’t unfair to ask him to validate that. You strangely seem to take umbrage to this. 

Just let him answer the question 😉

1) I didn’t claim or assume you had anything. You asked me if I’d be satisfied with your statistics but they wouldn’t be global. I then said it wouldn’t be that relevant. 

2) the fact that greenlantern made a statement without reference to any sort of measure makes it a lot more open to challenge. You chose not to. 

3) I’m not preventing him from answering, he’s just chosen not to yet. I didn’t even say you shouldn’t challenge him on it, just curious that your dedication to evidence based statements only really worked one way. 

14 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

That’s really it isn’t it. Celtic broke the first version of Rangers eventually (took 130 years or however long) and then managed to completely break the spirit of the new club within about 6 years. I know Rangers have won a title since then and fair play for that but overall Celtic have absolutely broken them.

I'm no fan of either branch of the Old Firm but to suggest that one half has broken the other begs the question, why would they even want to do that ? They need each other and have the very definition of a 'symbiotic relationship' . So long as they both play in the Scottish league Celtic scarcely exist without Rangers and vice versa.  The last thing they want is to be without the other. It is no coincidence that when forces within Scottish football tried to put Celtic out of business over the nonsensical 'crime' of flying the Irish flag at Celtic Park it was Rangers who were their staunchest supporters and when Rangers went bust but still wanted to stay in the top flight Celtic were among their most devout defenders. So, no , Celtic haven't 'broken' Rangers and they'd be utterly horrified if they had .

As I have had pointed out to me before. its More than that, in the case of the Ownership of the trademark for "Old Firm" we are joint owners.

Both clubs own 50% of the trademark and renew it each year. In this case we are actually business partners in protecting our joint heritage and our right to solely make an income from it.

Edited by Urban Spaceman

Just popped in to take credit for getting a decent amount of diddy kongs knickers absolutely frothing. 

I’d like to claim it was a Bennettesque trolling attempt, but it really wasn’t.

If you think I’m providing you perma-raging men children a PowerPoint on this you can go slap yer mama. 

I said ‘one of the biggest derbies in football’ - not watched, or global and however you dress up this new Glaswegian entity from Govan they attract the same undesirables.