The Celtic All Seasons thread

On 11/08/2023 at 08:00, kennie makevin said:

Beat one man, beat two , turn round, try to beat one man again, get dispossessed, crowd groan, scream at Murdoch or Auld to give it to Bobby Lennox or Big Yogi (the original & best) instead.......The Jimmy Johnstone experience as loved by one and all.

Sounds like Messi. 

10 minutes ago, bennett said:

Before my time but I remember reading that Jock Stein tended to pick Willie Henderson over Jimmy Johmstone for Scotland, maybe kenny has a point.

Pretty amazing that given that Johnstone’s last cap was 1974 and Henderson’s was 1971 and Stein didn’t become Scotland manager until 1978.

Who wrote the story you read ? The Brothers Grimm ?

9 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Pretty amazing that given that Johnstone’s last cap was 1974 and Henderson’s was 1971 and Stein didn’t become Scotland manager until 1978.

Who wrote the story you read ? The Brothers Grimm ?

Jock Stein also managed Scotland in 1965-66.

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Was Jimmy Johnstone actually a wife beating alcoholic like Gazza or is that just something Sevco fans say? 

He was a recovering alcoholic, unaware of domestic abuse claims but sadly would have been a much more common thing back then anyway.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Before my time but I remember reading that Jock Stein tended to pick Willie Henderson over Jimmy Johmstone for Scotland, maybe kenny has a point.

Mmmm , not sure about that.

although Henderson would be the first choice before Jock Stein took charge

( anyway in the Italy game Henderson was to concentrate on moving the Italian full back out of position rather than trying to dribble past him )

Jock Stein did pick the quicker McKinnon over McNeil for the 1965 Italy game.

( Murdoch and Hughes did play )

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

On 11/08/2023 at 08:00, kennie makevin said:

Beat one man, beat two , turn round, try to beat one man again, get dispossessed, crowd groan, scream at Murdoch or Auld to give it to Bobby Lennox or Big Yogi (the original & best) instead.......The Jimmy Johnstone experience as loved by one and all.

What are you on about?

Living abroad I get to watch any game I want. I enjoyed Ange's style of football aggressive, dynamic and very entertaining. I am not a fan of Rodger's style pretty boring.. He likes possession , slow methodical football. Right up Turnbull's and O'Riley's street not Hatate's style. I will watch the game today. Let's hope it is not one pass forward, 2 sideways then 2 backwards.   

To quote Jock Stein “I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win.” 

PS thanks' for the loan of Ben Summers looked a player when he came on yesterday

17 minutes ago, JPB16 said:

PS thanks' for the loan of Ben Summers looked a player when he came on yesterday

Similar to Chalmers in many ways,hopefully a successful loan spell needs first team football, I think Lewis McCann will play in the top flight next season with or without Dunfermline.

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

You've got to hand it to Brendan Rogers. He's come in on some animosity and hasn't been afraid to bench probably your player of the year last season on two occasions now.

Can only imagine the lad is leaving this window and he wants Turnbull to fill the gap.

Celtic really improved when he made the change.

8 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Rumours of Ryan Fraser? No thanks 

He’s a decent player but that’s Clarke and Howe questioned his commitment now and he’s also contracted to Newcastle until 2025 and reputedly earning over £60k a week.

If Rodgers wants him it’ll cost you a few quid in wages as I would imagine he’d want a contract up to 2025 at least and probably minimum £40k per week.

Its probably worth giving Vata a go first imho.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn