The Celtic All Seasons thread

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I think it shows they really did benefit playing in empty stadiums last season, and as suspected we knew exactly why they had been desperate for this game to be played behind closed doors 

Again with the behind closed doors lie.

Again with the behind closed doors lie.
Ignoring the issue you have with the words "behind closed doors", you surely must be a bit concerned by the number of your players who clearly do look like they lack the character to play consistently to the same level that did in empty stadia when in front of fans.

Tavernier, Goldson, Barasic, Kamara, Kent, Roofe, Aribo all look a shadow of themselves from last season and have done for a while. Or rather, last season, with no fans, they looked well above their previous levels, which they're back to now with the fans in.

Anyway, on Celtic, very impressive again. Have watched them a few times recently and IMO they're comfortably better than Rangers, which I said before tonight.

Good brand of football, great movement, great rotations/fluidity and play at a real tempo going forward and when pressing. Once they figure out how to get that through 75-90 minutes instead of 60 they'll be untouchable.

Rangers on the other hand are heavy in reverse. Hear a lot of Rangers fans talking about a game of two halves and Rangers were better second half. Never had a shot inside the box and Celtic had already won the game. Who cares for good Jack was, Celtic had the slippers on in cruise control.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Have to say ange is an annoyingly likeable manager. Can’t think of many OF managers that haven’t boiled my piss. 

He’s refreshing, doesn’t get carried away, doesn’t buy into the bullshit and just gets it.  He knows how he wants to play and buys the players who fit the system just look at what happened with McGree didn’t panic just went and found O’Riley instead. 

His comments last night were class and even if we don’t win the league this year i hope he’s around for a few years to come 

10 hours ago, gaz5 said:

Ignoring the issue you have with the words "behind closed doors", you surely must be a bit concerned by the number of your players who clearly do look like they lack the character to play consistently to the same level that did in empty stadia when in front of fans.

Tavernier, Goldson, Barasic, Kamara, Kent, Roofe, Aribo all look a shadow of themselves from last season and have done for a while. Or rather, last season, with no fans, they looked well above their previous levels, which they're back to now with the fans in.

Anyway, on Celtic, very impressive again. Have watched them a few times recently and IMO they're comfortably better than Rangers, which I said before tonight.

Good brand of football, great movement, great rotations/fluidity and play at a real tempo going forward and when pressing. Once they figure out how to get that through 75-90 minutes instead of 60 they'll be untouchable.

Rangers on the other hand are heavy in reverse. Hear a lot of Rangers fans talking about a game of two halves and Rangers were better second half. Never had a shot inside the box and Celtic had already won the game. Who cares for good Jack was, Celtic had the slippers on in cruise control.

The only thing I’ll take issue with in that post is Aribo. He has been our best player this season and far more consistent than last season, I’d argue.

ETA: was curious about his numbers so had a look. 6 goals and 6 assists so far this season in comparison to 8 and 7 last season.

Edited by AJF

10 hours ago, gaz5 said:

The idea that it has anything to do with fans or not is ridiculously stupid. Plus I'm not sure what games you've been watching if you think Aribo has been worse than last season? He's clearly been better this year.

It's pretty simple really. Celtic are better than last year which it would have been difficult not to since they only had to improve on 77 points. We are worse as was inevitable considering we got over 100 points. That was not going to be repeated.

The only thing I’ll take issue with in that post is Aribo. He has been our best player this season and far more consistent than last season, I’d argue.
ETA: was curious about his numbers so had a look. 6 goals and 6 assists so far this season in comparison to 8 and 7 last season.
That's probably fair. He's been your best player in the games I've seen this season by a distance and I said in a post will before last night he really had to carry Rangers on the night for you to get a result, given others form.

I'd still stick by my, albeit subjective as a neutral, view though that he disappears in the heat of the Old Firm games. I can genuinely only remember 1 he's played in he hasn't been among Rangers poorest performers and that was the 4-1 game at Ibrox last year, with no fans.

Boy has real ability, but I think that question mark over where he goes in the biggest games is what stops him going to a top end EPL side down the line and prohibits the crazy £20m+ figures Rangers fans talk about. IMO anyway.

The idea that it has anything to do with fans or not is ridiculously stupid. Plus I'm not sure what games you've been watching if you think Aribo has been worse than last season? He's clearly been better this year.
It's pretty simple really. Celtic are better than last year which it would have been difficult not to since they only had to improve on 77 points. We are worse as was inevitable considering we got over 100 points. That was not going to be repeated.
It seems stupid to Rangers fans, sure, but to the rest of us who observed your performances before, during and now after empty stadiums it's most certainly a valid challenge.

It's fine if you choose not to see or acknowledge the glaring differences in both performance and returns (you even point it out yourself in your stats) over the period along with the single constant over that time, that's fine, I'd expect that given your partisan position.

But assuming other people stupid who can, independently and without that bias, observe that as an absolute possibility isn't a strong position to take.

I conceded on Aribo already this season, Old Firm games aside where he's regularly below his own levels. But that's 1 from what, 8 or something I mentioned specifically.

It's my view, and only my view you don't need to agree with it, that the current Rangers group of players lacks, among other things, a bit of character (a few players aside). You're soft.

Celtic may or may not win the league this year (I think they're favourites at the moment), but even if they don't it's clear that in Postecoglu (sp?) they've got a manager who looks like being more successful, from a worse starting position in a shorter timeframe, than Gerard and on current evidence GVB as well, who appears to have slammed Rangers in reverse from what was already a season they'd gone backwards under Gerard.

Just jumping on here to offer an apology re Postecoglu. At the start of the season, I called him a "fraud". A bit harsh, given he'd walked into an absolute shambles and with nobody at his back. But the results were poor. 

After his comment last night about people having hard times and giving them an escape and a means to forget their troubles for 90 minutes, the guy has absolutely rocketed in my estimation. 

Make no mistake, I have zero love for either Celtic or Rangers. But that comment from him, at a time when the world seems to be going to hell in a handcart, meant a lot.  

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Have to say ange is an annoyingly likeable manager. Can’t think of many OF managers that haven’t boiled my piss. 

Aye, agree with this.  Hard to dislike someone who just calls everyone 'mate' all the time.  

Aye, agree with this.  Hard to dislike someone who just calls everyone 'mate' all the time.  
Same.

As much as it's unusual for OF managers in particular, he does come across as a "guid c*n't", to give him both his Scottish and Aussie standard designation. [emoji846]

7 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Just jumping on here to offer an apology re Postecoglu. At the start of the season, I called him a "fraud". A bit harsh, given he'd walked into an absolute shambles and with nobody at his back. But the results were poor. 

After his comment last night about people having hard times and giving them an escape and a means to forget their troubles for 90 minutes, the guy has absolutely rocketed in my estimation. 

Make no mistake, I have zero love for either Celtic or Rangers. But that comment from him, at a time when the world seems to be going to hell in a handcart, meant a lot.  

His interview was a touch of class. It’s easy to get carried away but just to acknowledge that point during all the post match hype was brilliant. He is a special guy who first and foremost understands he’s dealing with people and not just customers.

Sometimes things are just meant to be, missing out on Howe was a blessing in disguise and Dom McKay may not have been at Celtic long but he brought us this man so big thanks to him.

There were so many disrespectful comments when we hired him such that he was a binman, a Scottish championship level manager, a fat obese fraud, Ange Notgotaclue etc etc etc but the big fella just dished out a lesson on how to play good entertaining football with a squad he built and has remained humble despite it

Win or lose this league I hope he is here for a while

57 minutes ago, DMCs said:

I think you downplay the impact the fans have. I commented to my son when the Rangers players came to warm up in front of us that they looked fucking terrified. 

They played as if they were scared, they utterly shat it