The Celtic All Seasons thread

32 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

That’s interesting as the latest financials showed Atalanta’s total wage bill as c.£40m pa and Celtic’s at c.£20m pa ??

How are some sites reporting wages? I have heard Celtics wage bill was as high as £60m a few years ago and is now around £50m. If Celtic are operating at £100m revenue they are not spending 20% on wages surely. That would probably be the lowest % in world football.

Swiss ramble had Atalanta's wages at 85m Euro and Celtics at £60m so not a lot in it.

I would expect Atalanta to have a higher wage bill than Celtic. They have done better in Europe over the last few years, have traded players  fantastically and will have a much better domestic TV deal.

I’d be surprised if Atalanta would be making 4 or 5 bids for O’Riley if they hadn’t already sounded out his agent about the move and whether he’d be interested.

11 minutes ago, ahemps said:

How are some sites reporting wages? I have heard Celtics wage bill was as high as £60m a few years ago and is now around £50m. If Celtic are operating at £100m revenue they are not spending 20% on wages surely. That would probably be the lowest % in world football.

Swiss ramble had Atalanta's wages at 85m Euro and Celtics at £60m so not a lot in it.

I would expect Atalanta to have a higher wage bill than Celtic. They have done better in Europe over the last few years, have traded players  fantastically and will have a much better domestic TV deal.

Yeah, tbh just read another one that has Celtic’s wage bill as £28m so who knows apart from their accounts department.

I am surprised though that the poster is suggesting that O’Riley would prefer to stay at Celtic than move to Atalanta.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

33 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, tbh just read another one that has Celtic’s wage bill as £28m so who knows apart from their accounts department.

I am surprised though that the poster is suggesting that O’Riley would prefer to stay at Celtic than move to Atalanta.

Almost every player wants to play in a top 5 league or for more money (ideally both). Celtic have lost many players to both these scenarios, Jota, VVD, Wanyama, Tierney even Christie and Armstrong left to play at that higher level.

Only OF fans believe that winning 'gimme' trophies and having a crack at the CL groups is enough to convince players to turn these moves down yet history shows in almost 99% of cases they do leave.

Ajax, PSV, Sporting Lisbon, etc. lose players to Fulham, Wolves and Bournemouth and they clubs do better in Europe, pay more money and play in better leagues yet still lose their top talents. Amazes me so many OF fans keep believing winning trophies in Scotland is a massive incentive.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

IF the wage figures quoted here are reasonably true than I would say €85m is a sizeable increase on €60 (35%) as opposed to not a lot in it.

Having a bigger wage bill overall doesn't necessarily correspond to paying every single player more. I don't think it's inconceivable that a star player at Celtic would earn the same as a regular run-of-the-mill Atalanta player.

TBF I was only saying what I'd been told by some Celtic fans.  He's not desperate to get away for the sake of it.  He knows his stock is high and that he'll have some decent options and would much prefer to play in the EPL.

The chat here got me looking at websites that pertain to know about salaries and I found one saying that Scammaca and Zaniolo account for 20% of Atalanta's entire wage bill.  I also found one that suggested that in the Celtic wage structure O'Riley was on less than Siegrist (last season)!

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

IF the wage figures quoted here are reasonably true than I would say €85m is a sizeable increase on €60 (35%) as opposed to not a lot in it.

I got Atalanta's figure in Euros and Celtic's in pounds.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Having a bigger wage bill overall doesn't necessarily correspond to paying every single player more. I don't think it's inconceivable that a star player at Celtic would earn the same as a regular run-of-the-mill Atalanta player.

This would definitely be true however as a poster stated Matt O Riley would not appear to be Celtics star player when it comes to wages. Around £14k a week, the same as Ralston, but less than the likes of James Forrest, Alastair Johnson, Maeda, Hatate and Taylor.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/who-is-celtics-highest-paid-player-2425-top-10-richest-hoops-stars-after-high-profile-ps15k-exit-and-bargain-ps4k-arrival-4545922?page=3

Those figures will be completely made up, but he probably isn't their highest paid right now given where they signed him from. They'd be offering him a new deal as one of their top earners though.

On 16/08/2024 at 13:09, AJF said:

I’d be surprised if Atalanta would be making 4 or 5 bids for O’Riley if they hadn’t already sounded out his agent about the move and whether he’d be interested.

Atalanta are close to agreeing a deal for Samardzic and have dropped their interest in O’Riley.

I thought the same as you he would try to push a move through, as that looked like a great career move for him, but it looks like he’s content playing in Scotland which is good news for Celtic.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Atalanta are close to agreeing a deal for Samardzic and have dropped their interest in O’Riley.

I thought the same as you he would try to push a move through, as that looked like a great career move for him, but it looks like he’s content playing in Scotland which is good news for Celtic.

To be fair I didn’t expect O’Riley to push the move from his end, rather if a deal was agreed he would go. As I said, I don’t think Atalanta would’ve wasted that time and effort pursuing him if they didn’t believe he was interested in joining them.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

To be fair I didn’t expect O’Riley to push the move from his end, rather if a deal was agreed he would go. As I said, I don’t think Atalanta would’ve wasted that time and effort pursuing him if they didn’t believe he was interested in joining them.

Yeah, to be fair to him, he didn’t push the move to Atletico Madrid through either. 

He’s been very quiet during both transfer saga’s which is good to see from a modern player.

He seems happy to continue to play in Scotland which is great news for Celtic as I thought he’d have wanted the move given how well Atalanta have performed both in Europe and domestically recently.

4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, to be fair to him, he didn’t push the move to Atletico Madrid through either. 

He’s been very quiet during both transfer saga’s which is good to see from a modern player.

He seems happy to continue to play in Scotland which is great news for Celtic as I thought he’d have wanted the move given how well Atalanta have performed both in Europe and domestically recently.

Celtic are also in a position to make the player comfortable and not chase him out the door for a pay day.

On 16/08/2024 at 20:00, craigkillie said:

Those figures will be completely made up, but he probably isn't their highest paid right now given where they signed him from. They'd be offering him a new deal as one of their top earners though.

Do you not think they sound about right? I don't think they are exact to the penny but they will be around that figure.

Who in that list of wages do you think is miles out?

O’Riley doesn’t seem to be giving the impression he wants out the door asap, he seems to be genuinely enjoying playing for us which is refreshing to see. If you compare his demeanour to Edouard for example it’s chalk and cheese.

However he is also an asset and our model means he will and have to be sold especially when his stock is highest. We tied him down long term so even if he does stay this season I’d expect we are still in a strong position and should still attract clubs should his current form maintain. 

Its just a shame so many international managers look down their nose at our game, he would be a worthy addition to a Danish squad imo

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

O’Riley doesn’t seem to be giving the impression he wants out the door asap, he seems to be genuinely enjoying playing for us which is refreshing to see. If you compare his demeanour to Edouard for example it’s chalk and cheese.

However he is also an asset and our model means he will and have to be sold especially when his stock is highest. We tied him down long term so even if he does stay this season I’d expect we are still in a strong position and should still attract clubs should his current form maintain. 

Its just a shame so many international managers look down their nose at our game, he would be a worthy addition to a Danish squad imo

It was Hjulmand that specifically said he wouldn’t pick O’Riley because he was playing in Scotland. At that time I think he expected O’Riley to move to a higher level in the summer however a lot has changed since the .

1.  Hjulmand has resigned and Weighorst is in charge, temporarily at least.

2. O’Riley is happy being in Scotland and looks unlikely to move. That’s 2 windows on the row he could have potentially tried to push a move but has instead been very professional and respectful.

3. Schmeichel is now playing in Scotland. The new coach won’t drop him and risk being a hypocrite if he does not pick O’Riley for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It was Hjulmand that specifically said he wouldn’t pick O’Riley because he was playing in Scotland. At that time I think he expected O’Riley to move to a higher level in the summer however a lot has changed since the .

1.  Hjulmand has resigned and Weighorst is in charge, temporarily at least.

2. O’Riley is happy being in Scotland and looks unlikely to move. That’s 2 windows on the row he could have potentially tried to push a move but has instead been very professional and respectful.

3. Schmeichel is now playing in Scotland. The new coach won’t drop him and risk being a hypocrite if he does not pick O’Riley for the same reason.

Decent points, well made tbf

You would think Schmeichel may have some influence by at least encouraging any coach to seriously consider him

Edited by Jinky67

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Decent points, well made tbf

You would think Schmeichel may have some influence by at least encouraging any coach to seriously consider him

I‘m sure given that Weighorst’s being caretaker he’ll take anything that Schmeichel says seriously.

He’ll trust him enough to know that anything he says about O’Riley will be genuine and not just pushing for his team mate to be included.

I am genuinely shocked that O’Riley is happy to continue to play here though. It’s not just any teams from top 5 leagues that have been tracking him. Its 2 clubs from Spain and Italy that are in the CL.