TRNSMT Festival

Cumdog35

I think you'll find it will - just like T in the Park and all the other festivals that phoned in absolute dross and then did a Rangers. The tickets will be plastered all over Groupon etc. for massive knockdown rates in due course and so the death cycle goes round another turn. 

T in the Park went down the shitter because of the awful decision to move it to Strathallan Castle in 2015. If there was no reason to leave Balado the festival would still be going strong.

Yeah because Balado was such a perfect site for it all along. The issue was Ellis phoning in the same old shite on an annual basis to play; the change of location simply snapped customers out of an annual routine and as soon as they looked at it from a fresh perspective, T in the Park had almost nothing to offer. 

Balado was a perfect site for it, the location was perfect as it is right off the motorway and so easily accessible for most of Scotland but it still felt like you were in a pretty remote location making it ideal for a festival. Strathallan castle wasn’t fit to cope with all the traffic involved in taking people to and from the site and thousands of people had a terrible time travelling there and back and inside the arena was a disorganised and very dangerously run event. Out of the people I spoke to who went in 2015 all of them said it was a total farce and many of them said it was lucky there was no loss of life (despite a guy who OD’d in the toilets). The organisers then went on social media pretending the event had gone perfectly and didn’t acknowledge any wrong doing for months until they started trying to sell tickets for 2016 and issued a plan on how they were going to run things better. I had no interest in going in 2016 either but my most accounts it wasn’t great and not long after that the plug was pulled.

I don’t know why you think the festival had almost nothing to offer, the line ups in the last couple of years at Balado were decent, 2013 was maybe the best year I ever had there (albeit mostly down to the weather) and the line ups both years at Strathallan weren’t exactly terrible either although Calvin Harris and Kasabian became predicable headliners. The problem was that 2015 was such a farce for so many people that all faith was lost in the festival organisers and it couldn’t recover in its current form.

Balado was only right off the motorway for people travelling from the east: for those travelling from the west of Scotland - by far its biggest market - getting to the site typically involved a trundle through the single-carriageway roads of deepest, darkest Fife and then an hour's queue to actually enter/exit the site. And then a similar trudge from the bus/car parks to the campsite entrance. And T in the Park had the same issues surrounding safety and drug use at Balado every single year.

The lineups were predictable and utterly stale. Your halcyon year of 2013 for example had Stereophonics (also played 2010), Calvin Harris (Friday headliner in 2013 moved to, err, Saturday headliner in 2014; also headlined King Tut's in 2012 and 2010), The Script (2011), Mumford and Sons (2010), David Guetta (2010, 2012), The Courteeners (2010) and The View (2011). You could perm a dozen other bands such as Kasabian for other years and find the same rotating cycles.

The problems were not objectively worse; more people simply took notice of all these issues after it moved location and finally chucked it.

VT - If you were travelling from Glasgow you could have gone via Perth and up the M90 that way and wouldn't have had to endure any of rural Fife so I'm not sure why you went via the Kincardine bridge. If you could recommend a more convenient available field that it could have been held in Central Scotland then I'd like to hear it.

Yes the headliners were predictable, particularly Calvin Harris but its what a lot of people want to see and when you're are the festival enjoying yourself he was always a safe bet.  Snoop Dogg and Rihanna played at either side of the Script on the Saturday night and I don't think either of them had played TITP before so that was refreshing.  Stereophonics, Ocean colour Scene, Deacon Blue and the Proclaimers are all great bands to have for a sing song  and there were acts that I hadn't heard of at the time like the Lumineers and Jake Bugg who were great to see also. What acts that were available that year could have been booked to make the festival better that year? Rolling Stones played Glastonbury but I'm sure that would have been a big ask. Maybe Jay Z or Kanye would have been something different but I can't say I regret never having seen any of them live. If TITP was shite for "years" before it went to Strathallan then I really would like to know what would have made it better.

FWIW the best line up was in 2011.

Yeah I remember 2005 being the only weekend when weather was properly good throughout until 2013. Didn’t remember snoop being there but remember seeing James Brown, I’m pretty sure it was the year he went on to die on Xmas day!

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah I remember 2005 being the only weekend when weather was properly good throughout until 2013. Didn’t remember snoop being there but remember seeing James Brown, I’m pretty sure it was the year he went on to die on Xmas day!

Well it certainly wasn't any of the years after.

14 minutes ago, philpy said:

Ahh, 2005. My boss couldn't give me Monday off as other people were on holiday. I ended up with sunstroke and didn't go back till the Thursday. To say I wasn't popular would be an understatement.

I bought loads of magic mushrooms in the campsite on the sunday night and didn't come down til about the Thursday.

Banning mushies was the second worst thing New Labour did.

2011 was my favourite lineup. Stacked in a big way. 2014 was pretty good after a weird couple of years where they had no idea what the f**k they wanted to be. Still some good sets over those two weekends, but 2012 in particular had far too many "I have nowt to see" moments where I just fucked off to any stage nearby.

EDIT: Looking at that 2012 lineup again, I honestly don't know what the f**k went through my mind buying that ticket.

Edited by Principal Flutie

2011 was class and had made some attempts at building a coherent line up. You could’ve pitched up at All Time Low midday at the Sunday Main Stage and not seen a band who really looked out of place till the end of the night with Foo Fighters.

Would be interested to see the demand for foreign festivals a decade or so ago versus now. Feel like everyone I know has been abroad the last couple of years to a music festival over going to a major one here.

I tend to pick smaller UK ones over big ones these days, although I did go to Download a couple of years back because the headline trio was more than enough to get me along, with a couple of Nu Metal era subs to bring some throwback action.

That was a weekend where I seen about as much as I did at T 2012, except most of what I seen at DL was fucking great. Was worth it.

16 hours ago, throbber said:

VT - If you were travelling from Glasgow you could have gone via Perth and up the M90 that way and wouldn't have had to endure any of rural Fife so I'm not sure why you went via the Kincardine bridge. If you could recommend a more convenient available field that it could have been held in Central Scotland then I'd like to hear it.

I wasn't the driver nor the official route planner for the shuttle buses champ. You were the one who claimed that it was always a simple in and out job off the motorway to get to the original site, which wasn't actually the case for the majority of people travelling there. 

Yes the headliners were predictable, particularly Calvin Harris but its what a lot of people want to see and when you're are the festival enjoying yourself he was always a safe bet.  Snoop Dogg and Rihanna played at either side of the Script on the Saturday night and I don't think either of them had played TITP before so that was refreshing.  Stereophonics, Ocean colour Scene, Deacon Blue and the Proclaimers are all great bands to have for a sing song  and there were acts that I hadn't heard of at the time like the Lumineers and Jake Bugg who were great to see also. What acts that were available that year could have been booked to make the festival better that year? Rolling Stones played Glastonbury but I'm sure that would have been a big ask. Maybe Jay Z or Kanye would have been something different but I can't say I regret never having seen any of them live. If TITP was shite for "years" before it went to Strathallan then I really would like to know what would have made it better.

Sorry Mr Ellis, but I'm afraid asking everyone else for ways to make your lineups less utterly predictable and fobbing people off with 'ach ye get to have a good sing song when you're pished' was never going to sustain a national music festival in the long term. And it didn't. 

Your rose-tinted nostalgia for the Balado days simply does not stack up to the facts. 

Edited by vikingTON

Snoop Dogg played in 2005 in the afternoon. It was absolutely scorching.
60961.jpeg&key=78a41b1f4e671a4168514bcec6759c3f8563f218c6bcf7bb11094bf8fb7fe4df
There were so many clashes that weekend. Almost every day on every stage is better than TRNSMT.

That was a tremendous line up that year. And like you say, absolutely scorching. That hot Snoop kept thinking he was in ‘Edinbuurg!’