Work colleagues

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

One of the office birds has been back 6 months after being off for a year on maternity (and a healthy financial collection to boot). Cue the recent email as she’s about to go off on maternity again and another collection being raised.

I'd have put in a packet of condoms.

5 hours ago, Dele said:

I wouldn't be donating to a card for somebody's birthday. f**k that. 

In my place if its your birthday you bring the cakes in, for everyone. That's when the real tightfistedness becomes prevalent. 

FWIW, February was a better month than March. 

That's what we used to do when I worked in Belfast.

On 28/03/2019 at 08:14, Dee Man said:

A guy in my work took 2 weeks annual leave to go to Bali and returned to work last week. Towards the end of his holiday he fell ill with food poisoning and ended up bed ridden for four days. He just returned to work the other day and asked to be paid sick leave for those four days and his annual leave to be returned to him. The weird thing is, it appears to be the law in Australia and had he had a medical certificate, he would have had his request accepted. 

I've never heard such madness in my life. Is that a thing in the UK? It would never have crossed my mind to try to get sick pay if I happened to fall ill while on leave. 

I know what will be happening the next time I'm on leave though...

I was sick into leave last year(on a doctors line),my employers wanted a further line for days during leave not covered by original line up until date I reported fit,which resulted in me getting staged;so sure as f**k I claimed those leave days back!

I wouldn't be donating to a card for somebody's birthday. f**k that. 
In my place if its your birthday you bring the cakes in, for everyone. That's when the real tightfistedness becomes prevalent. 
FWIW, February was a better month than March. 
That's what we do. Except one woman who always says that as she's "on a diet", she doesn't bring cakes in as it'll be too tempting for her. Of course, she eats the cakes other people bring in and will then go out for a massive dinner with her family at night when "it doesn't count" for some reason. On the few occasions she's brought stuff in, it's been cheapo traybakes from Costco and stuff like that while everyone else has brought in cookies doughnuts, caramel shortcake etc or has actually baked a massive cake for everyone to have.

23 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I only put into collections for folk I like. 

Doesnt happen very often tbh.

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't suppose you ever get anything...

To be fair collections are only held for people leaving a job voluntarily. This presumably doesn't apply in Mullarkey's case.

My work uses buying cakes etc as a wee morale thing, someone messes up instead of people getting angry they just ‘cake fine’ each other. I dont mind chipping in for a retirement/death/landmark/birth of child etc and we bring cakes in prior to going on leave or buy a round of rolls etc. If folks want to take part then great, if they dont then fair enough.