Work colleagues

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I had a job in the summer of 1999 as a door to door salesman, selling gas and electricity contracts on behalf of Scottish power. We'd hit a new town every week, meet lots of new and interesting people. And it was the worst job I ever had. 

Plus, the old hands who were training me were full of stories that ended up with them chapping on the door of a lonely housewife, pumping her, getting a home cooked meal (in one case being given a suitcase of her husband's shirts) and moving on to the next. That never happened with me. 

Reveal hidden contents

1616153820MHA_1.jpg

Incel thread for that sort of chat

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I had a job in the summer of 1999 as a door to door salesman, selling gas and electricity contracts on behalf of Scottish power. We'd hit a new town every week, meet lots of new and interesting people. And it was the worst job I ever had. 

Medicine Show.jpg

39 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

What is it about sitting at a computer that you find completely hellish?

Burger flippers are sat in front of the same cooker every day, cleaners are mopping the same floors every day. I just don't understand why office work is seen as the most soul destroying job you could get by many. It's a job like many others with advantages and disadvantages. 

I sit at a computer all day, well I'm supposed to anyway and I mean, it is fucking shite, but mopping floors, cleaning or stacking shelves also sounds fucking shite. In fact, aren't all jobs fucking shite, boring, soul crushing. 

Does anyone actually enjoy what they do, if so what do you do please? No bullshit either, genuinely look forward to going to work, nothing less. 

Just now, thistledo said:

I sit at a computer all day, well I'm supposed to anyway and I mean, it is fucking shite, but mopping floors, cleaning or stacking shelves also sounds fucking shite. In fact, aren't all jobs fucking shite, boring, soul crushing. 

Does anyone actually enjoy what they do, if so what do you do please? No bullshit either, genuinely look forward to going to work, nothing less. 

When I was a brickie I used to enjoy it when the boss wasn't there because he's a cunt. He would quite often be away for days at a time working on or pricing other jobs and I'd be left by myself building an extension/garage/retaining wall and it was fucking magic. I sit at a desk all day now in a totally different career and it's fucking spunk.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Best job I ever had was as a cleaner.

Oh aye, I don't mean to put any of these jobs down, just that if you boil each job down to it's simplest form it generally involves you doing something pretty mundane for 9 hours a day, generally in the same place. I reckon I'd be just as happy mopping a floor as I am sat behind a computer. 

1 minute ago, thistledo said:

Some folk do get to do things they love/enjoy but those folk should realise they are in the minority. One of my mates went from being a borderline alcoholic who worked in a bank to a personal trainer, he now spends his days telling folk to "Do what they love!" each day because look, he's been able to do it! It was easy enough for him to get into personal training because he spent about 2 years being personal trained, he then got a job coaching with the guy who coached him and built from there. Not everyone will fall into their "perfect" job that easily and I reckon people who do get that opportunity have a hard time seeing how difficult it can be for others. 

7 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I think the best anyone can hope for is not actively hating their job, and getting some degree of satisfaction out of it. But even if someone does really like their job, there will be something about it that they don’t enjoy/look forward to

9 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I do, but the job of a lecturer is actually three small jobs rolled into one. I teach from September to December. I have some administration I need to do. And then there is research. This keeps things varied for me.

I really enjoy the teaching but wouldn't fancy doing it for 40 weeks a year. 12 is plenty. The pastoral care element is important to me also - students come to me with their problems which vary from the trivial to the utterly serious. I like helping them out when I can. 

Like any job, there are bits I'm not keen on. No academic enjoys the administration side of things. But for some reason the university have given me a fairly important role so, again, keeps me interested. 

Research is what I'm judged on as an academic - papers, patents, funding. It's what I enjoy the most. Finding out stuff nobody else knows. Sometimes my work hits the news, which is nice for my parents. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

When I was a brickie I used to enjoy it when the boss wasn't there because he's a c**t. He would quite often be away for days at a time working on or pricing other jobs and I'd be left by myself building an extension/garage/retaining wall and it was fucking magic. I sit at a desk all day now in a totally different career and it's fucking spunk.

Curious to know, why the change of career? I might need a retaining wall in the near future tbh. At least 5 houses on my estate are currently getting some sort of house modification or building work at the moment (the constant banging and grinding (yes yes Kenneth Williams gif) is really adding to my day) and about another 5 houses have already had this type of work done already in lockdown. Seems this kind of building trade stuff is absolutely booming. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Some folk do get to do things they love/enjoy but those folk should realise they are in the minority. One of my mates went from being a borderline alcoholic who worked in a bank to a personal trainer, he now spends his days telling folk to "Do what they love!" each day because look, he's been able to do it! It was easy enough for him to get into personal training because he spent about 2 years being personal trained, he then got a job coaching with the guy who coached him and built from there. Not everyone will fall into their "perfect" job that easily and I reckon people who do get that opportunity have a hard time seeing how difficult it can be for others. 

Lucky guy, PT wouldn't be for me, probably because i'm a lazy b*****d and like to drink beer. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think the best anyone can hope for is not actively hating their job, and getting some degree of satisfaction out of it. But even if someone does really like their job, there will be something about it that they don’t enjoy/look forward to

See this is where I am, maybe, I don't hate it... I just cant get over the fact that, really, it's fucking boring and it all just feels a bit pointless. I literally only do it for the money, which is good. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I do, but the job of a lecturer is actually three small jobs rolled into one. I teach from September to December. I have some administration I need to do. And then there is research. This keeps things varied for me.

I don't think anyone would listen to me lecture them voluntarily, it's nice you enjoy it, but I think it would bore me to death. 

Basically subtly looking for career change advice here now. 

On 20/08/2021 at 12:17, thistledo said:

I have never to this day found out the real story of what happened and Kent has never told me either, but her brothers’ recollections of the night improved to surmise he potentially went home with a sex worker. Perhaps had a really nice time.

9tC7xqg.thumb.jpg.8857c01ca8366f09dcd9d3eccddf80bc.jpg

19 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Curious to know, why the change of career? I might need a retaining wall in the near future tbh. At least 5 houses on my estate are currently getting some sort of house modification or building work at the moment (the constant banging and grinding (yes yes Kenneth Williams gif) is really adding to my day) and about another 5 houses have already had this type of work done already in lockdown. Seems this kind of building trade stuff is absolutely booming. 

He put me off the trade so much that I rage quite and basically blocked his and another couple of boys in the trade that I knows numbers.  I had to remove myself completely from it as I was edging towards doing something I would regret down the line.  I'm not prepared to put myself back into a scenario where I end up working for a different cunt.  A lot of tradesmen are the worst of people.

I've got back into an office based job that I did for a few years about 5/6 years ago and I'm comfortable doing it but it's really boring. The guys I work with are brand new however.

Edited by TheScarf

1 minute ago, EvilScotsman said:

Remember to love your 'Professional Services' staff; we'll keep you right.

Reveal hidden contents

No, not like *that*. It's not 1973.

Trust me, the machine would grind to a stop without them! My wife is one, and so I hear first hand how things go. 

24 minutes ago, thistledo said:

See this is where I am, maybe, I don't hate it... I just cant get over the fact that, really, it's fucking boring and it all just feels a bit pointless. I literally only do it for the money, which is good.

Aye, don’t get me wrong I’m only here for the money. My jobs not dreadful or anything, bits of it are quite enjoyable, but if I didn’t need to work there’s absolutely no chance I’d continue to do so.

A big thing for me I’ve found is working in the public sector, which I do now, is massively less shit, despite everything. It used to really get to me knowing that I’d go to work for 9 hours a day, and the only reason I was there was so that a guy I fucking hated could become richer. 

I had a great summer job for two summers when I was a student. I was employed as a roads surveyor for Stirling council earning a massive £150 per week. The first year was me and one friend of mine, along with half a dozen other students. Show up at 8, into the vans, stop for coffee/newspapers/bacon rolls and then a nice drive up north. We surveyed the trunk roads and motorways in Stirling and Perth & Kinross. Great scenery, a few nice folk, a couple of bell ends. The second year a few more of my mates joined the group, and the bell ends never came back. 

Our boss, Neil (a middle aged guy heavily into Acid Croft music) was a great guy. Early on in the summer though he had some sort of blow-out with his boss and he was removed from being in charge of us. We were in charge of ourselves. It was a fantastic summer. Me and my mates going all over, having lunch in places like Strathyre and Crianlarich. The work was easy and we couldn't work in the rain. SO on rainy days we would drive up north and sit in the van reading the paper and listening to the radio. 

I remained friends with a lot of these people for a long time afterwards. Probably the best time and work colleagues I ever had. 

57 minutes ago, thistledo said:

I have been self employed for 20 years and it's great. 

Naturally I have a wonderful boss who let's me work whatever hours I like as long as the work gets done.  The work often requires me to travel about, stay in nice hotels if I want to, go to whatever restaurants I please.  I can schedule the trips myself and I seldom have to travel for so long that I get homesick.  I have been all over the world often with somebody else paying for it.

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, don’t get me wrong I’m only here for the money. My jobs not dreadful or anything, bits of it are quite enjoyable, but if I didn’t need to work there’s absolutely no chance I’d continue to do so.

A big thing for me I’ve found is working in the public sector, which I do now, is massively less shit, despite everything. It used to really get to me knowing that I’d go to work for 9 hours a day, and the only reason I was there was so that a guy I fucking hated could become richer. 

Ooft that's a great shout. That's exactly how I felt.

Worst job I can imagine is a waiter.

Please be aware I'm not knocking them; quite the opposite. They're on their feet all day, having to take all sorts of crap from customers who whine like little girls if their soup is too hot/too cold/taking too long to be served. I'd probably last about half an hour before tipping it over somebody's head.