Work colleagues

On 19/12/2023 at 01:19, Central Belt Caley said:

I go to mine because my boss pays for absolutely everything until he leaves. Managed a good 6/7 pints and a 3 course meal out of him this year. It was also on a Wednesday so done 2 hours of “work” in the morning then went for the train. 

My pal works for the NHS, has to pay for his night out and his department has theirs on a Saturday night (they work Mon-Fri). I wouldn’t be going to that :lol:

Aren't most works nights out outside working time so only really leaves a choice of Friday or Saturday? Paying for it ourselves is maybe 50/50. 

20 hours ago, velo army said:

See if my YouTube homepage is filled with Andrew Tate and Ben fucking Shapiro after watching this, I'm coming for you.

Just turn your viewing history off. I watch a load of crap but I only get recommendations based on what I like and subscribe to. I also have recommended content switched off so the Andrew Tate, mrbeast, Logan brothers pish is never shown on my feed 

On 18/12/2023 at 16:53, kingjoey said:

When I was a lot younger I was probably at the heart of arranging any nights out, Christmas or not. From about 15 years before I retired Christmas nights out filled me with dread. Absolutely hated them. The difference was that when I was part of the team everything was fun, but when I was promoted to be manager of the team I had no wish to spend more time than necessary with most of them.

I have a post somewhere on this thread about somewhat mistakenly joining the work social committee, then somehow being in the thick of the action for organising a massive corporate style Christmas party with a recently dumped control freak. It was exactly as much fun as it sounds. 

In all honesty I love a Christmas night out, always have, probably always will. For the main reasons being, you get to see people you don't like making a total c**t of themselves due to their inability to drink. I also love an awkward social situation, I'll stand there in the silence and watch people cringe with how awful the conversation is no problem. 

I usually try to get a group of good c***s to go for a few pints with, then turn up later on just as people are starting to make an arse of it. Wonderful. 

English teacher started with us. All who were part of the interview process knew she was all wrong for the job but she had that golden characteristic in International schools, she is mother tongue English...well American so was given the job. 

Since starting in mid November she has missed four days due to transport strikes, two days because her sister caught some mystery virus and is on life support (in U.S.), another day because her husband had to go to A&E, another day because someone stole her bag when she was coming to work and therefore had to spend the day at the police station to report it, another day because she had an appointment with the police station to register the loss of ID card etc after said theft, another day because she had a migraine and now because when she went to the pharmacy to pick up and prescription for her husband, she coughed and the pharmacist told her she had Covid and she shouldn't return to work until she had a negative test. Needless to say she has now been and got a positive Covid test.

Complete and utter lead swinger!

The last works night out I went to was in the late 90s with Somerfield in Alloa. 

The store manager had booked the function hall at the Claremont Lodge hotel. Loads of folk went, all dressed up looking forward to a night out together. 

Me and a mate showed up ~10 minutes late. We entered the bar that leads to the function hall, and noticed there was no music or anything. So we put our heads round the door to see what was going on, and in the middle of the dance floor was the store manager with a flip chart giving a talk. Everyone else was sat at tables, all dressed up, glaring at him. This was when Safeway (now Morrisons) was opening up and he was trying to rally the troops (his words). 

My mate and I retreated back to the bar, and sat for about half an hour sinking pints. When the music next door started we went through. But the lesson was learned - a works night out managed by the boss can go badly.  

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

English teacher started with us. All who were part of the interview process knew she was all wrong for the job but she had that golden characteristic in International schools, she is mother tongue English...well American so was given the job. 

Since starting in mid November she has missed four days due to transport strikes, two days because her sister caught some mystery virus and is on life support (in U.S.), another day because her husband had to go to A&E, another day because someone stole her bag when she was coming to work and therefore had to spend the day at the police station to report it, another day because she had an appointment with the police station to register the loss of ID card etc after said theft, another day because she had a migraine and now because when she went to the pharmacy to pick up and prescription for her husband, she coughed and the pharmacist told her she had Covid and she shouldn't return to work until she had a negative test. Needless to say she has now been and got a positive Covid test.

Complete and utter lead swinger!

Are you insane?  She's a genius and an inspiration.

Work hybrid, but the management like everyone in for the last week of the month. Usually get a bit of leeway in December but this year told that all working had to be in office 27/28/29th. When this was announced I quite vocally stated that was fine but if any manager was WFH then I was too, a good manager leads by example if you were working you were in. One lickspittle in our team meeting said that wasn't the case and always reasons.

This person lives about 15mins by train plus 15min walk from office, or if trains are off they can get one of a number of buses that would take 35-45mins plus the walk. There are no trains today and much to my surprise the lickspittle turd that has been acting like a manager in meetings for about 6months and thinks he better than the rest of the team hasn't appeared. Obviously displaying his future management style, and seeing the way this company is going he will probably be promoted soon.

On 19/12/2023 at 05:17, SlipperyP said:

Our work is having a get together on the 28th Dec and I/we have been told there is a secret Santa ฿300.  Im completely fine with that, then I asked when do we draw the names, for who we buy the present.  My boss looked at me, as if I'd just dropped my pants.

No you draw the name at the party and then give the present you bought to them.

Now there is a age range from 18 to 70 and both sexes. About 60 folk.

They haven't thought this through have they?

So, it's Secret Santa, but it should be Secret Receiver. Thais are weard.

About six years ago, our team did 'Evil Santa'. You buy a present, and they all go into the middle. Names get picked out of a hat & choose a parcel to open. Next person goes and can either steal that gift - now known to the room - or take a random one. With 30 people in the team, it was good fun. 

Yours doesn't sound like that. 

On 19/12/2023 at 07:18, coprolite said:

Discrimination can be legal where it's positive action to reduce disadvantage of a particular group. 

This sounds (based on limited information) more like an additional barrier for one group that has been singled out. 

Probably legally dubious but a reasonable bet that no one guy wants to be the one to take it to court. He'd look like a total beta cuck, or something. 

On 19/12/2023 at 10:54, velo army said:

I have no doubt that sexism exists in the financial services industry, but singling out white men is troublesome and a bit stupid. Men of Pakistani, middle eastern and African origin may be more likely to be sexist than their white counterparts, but theirs won't be the applications being binned (final sign-off my bahook). 

I've never worked in financial services so don't know how sexism shows up there. I'm uncomfortable with sexism in reverse though, denying someone a job opportunity in case he turns out to be a sexist, or giving someone else a position because of her gender rather than experience.

I don't think it's a bad idea in principle. Unconscious bias means recruiters will end up favouring the person more like them, so it'll be more challenging for minority candidates to progress when they're evenly matched.

It can go badly wrong, but that won't stop me winding up my 50+ white male colleagues who like to foam at the mouth about such things.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost count of the amount of times I’ve told the woman I work with how a specific feature works and then the next time we’re setting it up for another client it’s 

“HELP WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING” 

Well for a start you’ve not done any of the 10 steps to make it work that we’ve been through 15 times before

Christmas feels a long time ago already 

11 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Lost count of the amount of times I’ve told the woman I work with how a specific feature works and then the next time we’re setting it up for another client it’s 

“HELP WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING” 

Well for a start you’ve not done any of the 10 steps to make it work that we’ve been through 15 times before

Christmas feels a long time ago already 

To be fair, if something needed 10 steps to work I'd also pretend I didn't know how it worked.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

To be fair, if something needed 10 steps to work I'd also pretend I didn't know how it worked.

It’s not massively taxing tbf, about 5 of the steps are asking other folk to do stuff. 

Just when you’ve been through it at least once a month for the past 6 months it does get annoying :lol: