Work colleagues

On 20/12/2023 at 12:19, scottsdad said:

The last works night out I went to was in the late 90s with Somerfield in Alloa. 

The store manager had booked the function hall at the Claremont Lodge hotel. Loads of folk went, all dressed up looking forward to a night out together. 

Me and a mate showed up ~10 minutes late. We entered the bar that leads to the function hall, and noticed there was no music or anything. So we put our heads round the door to see what was going on, and in the middle of the dance floor was the store manager with a flip chart giving a talk. Everyone else was sat at tables, all dressed up, glaring at him. This was when Safeway (now Morrisons) was opening up and he was trying to rally the troops (his words). 

My mate and I retreated back to the bar, and sat for about half an hour sinking pints. When the music next door started we went through. But the lesson was learned - a works night out managed by the boss can go badly.  

This nightmare seems to have been curiously overlooked.

I'm no militant, but I'm pretty sure I'd have walked out the dressy work meeting on my own time to join you at the bar.

On 13/12/2023 at 15:40, scottsdad said:

It's all kicking off. Someone, somewhere, has fucked up royally. 

The Prof has spotted that the info sent in about his course is all incorrect. The handbook sent in isn't the one he wrote. In addition, under "course textbook" is listed "None" when in fact the whole course is based on a book he wrote. He's raging. Utterly raging that such a monumental f**k-up happened.  He wants to know who did this. 

So I checked my course and a similar thing happened. Someone made a "handbook" that is 2 pages long, full of spelling mistakes. My actual handbook is 17 pages long. Of my 8 Learning Objectives, only 3 are listed. 

Honestly, we're overrun by fuckwits. 

We've requested that the submission be withdrawn immediately. 

Not a Python course by any chance?  

• 2 weeks later...

Invited to a very high level meeting today. Two deputy principals, a couple of heads of school, one or two others...and me. i really didn't why I was there. Lots of talking around some vague stuff before getting round to academic integrity. 

Then there was 5 minutes of blowing smoke my way as I have been active in terms of discipline, especially in terms of AI stuff.

Then, they started talking about how we needed a new group to refresh our discipline policies and communications. A group with various powers, and I started getting a sinking feeling. This magic group would essentially be tasked with root and branch reform of everything. They got excited talking about how this and that could work. Oh yes, they were dead keen that someone "gets to grip" with this issue, and looks at all our policies and penalties.

So, anyway, I am now the new Head of Academic Integrity with months of ball-aching tedious committee work ahead of me. It comes with no extra pay or workload allocation. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Invited to a very high level meeting today. Two deputy principals, a couple of heads of school, one or two others...and me. i really didn't why I was there. Lots of talking around some vague stuff before getting round to academic integrity. 

Then there was 5 minutes of blowing smoke my way as I have been active in terms of discipline, especially in terms of AI stuff.

Then, they started talking about how we needed a new group to refresh our discipline policies and communications. A group with various powers, and I started getting a sinking feeling. This magic group would essentially be tasked with root and branch reform of everything. They got excited talking about how this and that could work. Oh yes, they were dead keen that someone "gets to grip" with this issue, and looks at all our policies and penalties.

So, anyway, I am now the new Head of Academic Integrity with months of ball-aching tedious committee work ahead of me. It comes with no extra pay or workload allocation. 

Well, you can start with HR and then the cvnts that fecked up The Prof's handbook. We expect the stocks, public floggings and howzabout a nitrogen execution or two. ?  Seems a shame to let the colonialists have all the fun.

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

LOL GIRFUY, you grass Congratulations on your appointment to this vital role.

36 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Whenever I make appointments that require integrity, I give the job to the person I expect to detail it on the Internet.

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Don't know what hand the prof has in this but he's playing a blinder here. Your move Kasparov.  

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I take it saying “sorry I’ve got enough on my plate at the minute” would’ve been a no-go? 

8 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I take it saying “sorry I’ve got enough on my plate at the minute” would’ve been a no-go? 

I plan to apply for promotion to professor within the next 2 years. This, if I manage to not f**k it up, will help.

16 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Don't know what hand the prof has in this but he's playing a blinder here. Your move Kasparov.  

I get to "hand pick" members of my new group. Might choose him.

When it comes to cheating, he is an utter zealot. Nobody, not even me, had referred more students for misconduct than him. 

Well, nothing screams "integrity" like telling a fitba forum about the direction of travel of an academic institution, right enough.

I plan to apply for promotion to professor within the next 2 years. This, if I manage to not f**k it up, will help.

Wish I had all this sh*te to go thru to earn a decent salary. Gets a bit boring grinding out 35 hour 4 day weeks without any of these challenges to negotiate .  

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If I was given a role like that I would insist on a badge.