Work colleagues

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

Remaining on the Indian theme, i once asked this Indian guy if us westerners have a distinctive reek and he said, "yes - sour milk". Cheeky c**t.

My old freezer broke down and the repairman was an Indian guy. I had to leave the room after speaking to him due to the overpowering smell of spicy food.

3 hours ago, tinkerbelle said:

My old freezer broke down and the repairman was an Indian guy. I had to leave the room after speaking to him due to the overpowering smell of spicy food.

Aye, a broken freezer will do that. 

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

I worked in a Post Office for a while where a woman took a shit on a chair. Dropped her pants, sat on the chair, soiled herself, in full view of the queue for the counters.

Thankfully it wasn't my shift, as the owner insisted that the chair be cleaned and put back out again.

Thankfully that never made the final edit of Mr Bates vs the Post Office. 

Was it a deliberate dirty protest? 

Did that incident end that individual’s career?

Fcuk asking her to make you a brew.

Avoid coffee or Bovril at all costs.

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

Thankfully that never made the final edit of Mr Bates vs the Post Office. 

Was it a deliberate dirty protest? 

Did that incident end that individual’s career?

Fcuk asking her to make you a brew.

Avoid coffee or Bovril at all costs.

I assume she was a junkie, as they were a major problem. Quite happy that I don't know more.

We had a regular who'd walk in and slowly start losing consciousness while looking at the confectionery; just gradually fold in on himself while remaining on his feet. Eventually there'd be a wet patch that would spread down his trousers, which would wake him up and he'd leave. Bizarre to watch. Never saw him buy anything.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

I assume she was a junkie, as they were a major problem. Quite happy that I don't know more.

Apologies. The way I read it back originally was that this was a Post Office work colleague as per the thread title.

45 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Apologies. The way I read it back originally was that this was a Post Office work colleague as per the thread title.

:lol:  Thankfully not, although the owner did throw up in one of the bins after hours and leave it for us to deal with the next day.

Lovely chap; so sorry he lost his franchise.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

:lol:  Thankfully not, although the owner did throw up in one of the bins after hours and leave it for us to deal with the next day.

Lovely chap; so sorry he lost his franchise.

He sounds a total c**t

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

He sounds a total c**t

This reminds me....

On 14/12/2023 at 09:03, scottsdad said:

Overnight update - the principal has called a meeting with some top level folk to discuss this later this morning. Apparently they've had an avalanche of folk getting in touch with pretty much the same thing that we've been saying - that the team who pulled together all the information to submit to the accrediting body have fucked up in a massive way. 

The Prof's angry email is one of many but his is a good example - the accreditors saying there is no textbook associated with his course when he wrote the textbook.

What was the outcome of this @scottsdad?

20 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

This reminds me....

What was the outcome of this @scottsdad?

More meetings coming up later in the month. There has been an extension granted on the deadline, but it has gone a bit quiet. 

So, no news yet.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

More meetings coming up later in the month. There has been an extension granted on the deadline, but it has gone a bit quiet. 

So, no news yet.

"Maybe if we ignore it, it'll all go away" seems to be a worryingly popular strategy when folk in offices f**k up.

I ended up leaving one of my last jobs after six months of radio silence over massive upcoming problems that I'd been warning them about. It worked, TBF - the shit hit the fan, and I did go away.

Very large, very expensive project wants to go to Production on 19th Feb
They needed a change ticket submitted today to meet governance lead times and whatnot.

I asked for one piece of information from a team 2 weeks ago, silence.
Multiple chase ups, nothing till this morning then a load of pish about "why do you need this?"
Cos we can't put his in without telling people the business justification for it, I've only ever seen the technical stuff.
Silence, then a PM appears around 2pm - "So you need this today?"
"aye, oh i'm leaving at 4, if it's not here before then it'll get done tomorrow and you can explain why we're bounced back a week"
The wife I've been chasing for 2 weeks replies almost immediately telling me to "watch my tone."

aye ok hen, i've got a paper trail that tells it's own story, you were telt

18 hours ago, Peil said:

Very large, very expensive project wants to go to Production on 19th Feb
They needed a change ticket submitted today to meet governance lead times and whatnot.

I asked for one piece of information from a team 2 weeks ago, silence.
Multiple chase ups, nothing till this morning then a load of pish about "why do you need this?"
Cos we can't put his in without telling people the business justification for it, I've only ever seen the technical stuff.
Silence, then a PM appears around 2pm - "So you need this today?"
"aye, oh i'm leaving at 4, if it's not here before then it'll get done tomorrow and you can explain why we're bounced back a week"
The wife I've been chasing for 2 weeks replies almost immediately telling me to "watch my tone."

aye ok hen, i've got a paper trail that tells it's own story, you were telt

I think her husband might be issuing more than telts! 

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think her husband might be issuing more than telts! 

Doesn't sound good at home tbh, got an email off her at 11pm last night with more excuses as to why it hasn't been done.

1 hour ago, Peil said:

Doesn't sound good at home tbh, got an email off her at 11pm last night with more excuses as to why it hasn't been done.

We had a lassie from one of our clients who would send emails past midnight fairly regularly. 

Her boss was an utter c**t though so wasn’t surprising 

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

We had a lassie from one of our clients who would send emails past midnight fairly regularly. 

Her boss was an utter c**t though so wasn’t surprising 

It is weird.
I don't know whether it's folk who don't know how to say no, or if they genuinely have nothing else going on.
I decided a while back, i'll do my job, in the hours agreed on my contract and if there's anything else pops up it'll be on my terms if I agree to it or not.
I'm lucky I'm old enough to know my own worth and that I'll do my job within the hours agreed on in my contract.

The risk of people going 'above and beyond' is that it hides the true cost of doing business, it sets an unfair expectation on others (especially junior or less assertive staff), and it just becomes assumed as a new normal.

5 minutes ago, Peil said:

It is weird.
I don't know whether it's folk who don't know how to say no, or if they genuinely have nothing else going on.
I decided a while back, i'll do my job, in the hours agreed on my contract and if there's anything else pops up it'll be on my terms if I agree to it or not.
I'm lucky I'm old enough to know my own worth and that I'll do my job within the hours agreed on in my contract.

The risk of people going 'above and beyond' is that it hides the true cost of doing business, it sets an unfair expectation on others (especially junior or less assertive staff), and it just becomes assumed as a new normal.

I quite often send emails past midnight but it’s usually just recovering time I’ve spent doing other shit during work hours.  

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I quite often send emails past midnight but it’s usually just recovering time I’ve spent doing other shit during work hours.  

Whatever works for you, but there's a raft of 'grinders' out there who love to make a show of working all hours of the day.

3 hours ago, SH Panda said:

You can also delay email send so it looks like you're working late.

A past colleague was notorious for this but never bothered to change the timer so all their emails suspiciously arrived at 1 minute past midnight.

As much a red flag as putting Harvard on your LinkedIn bio because you paid to do an online 1 hour negotiation course with them.

I had a colleague who would time his emails to come in at 09.05 so he could pretend he wasn’t still asleep. Shame that I could see that they were sent in the early hours if the morning.

17 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I had a colleague who would time his emails to come in at 09.05 so he could pretend he wasn’t still asleep. Shame that I could see that they were sent in the early hours if the morning.

It fools no one, especially when their Team's status is offline or away. 

On 02/02/2024 at 14:18, Boghead ranter said:

A stand up, front to back wiper obvs.

Or a wrong-un, to use the shorter description. 

I’m hoping I’m wrong on this and it’s just tied into the stand up wiping (agreed nonce behaviour for shitty cheeked weirdos), but it appears that you are suggesting wiping front to back is the wrong behaviour?