Work colleagues

Have to admit I also thought like that until moving into management. Unfortunately there’s a balance between not doing ridiculous hours (e.g. my boss who is often in 7am-7/8pm and works most weekends) and getting up at 4pm on the dot and dropping everything to head off. You should absolutely be doing that when you’re not ultimately responsible for success/failure of what you do, but it’s not quite as simple when you’re in charge. If I just got up and left every day at a set time there would be things left that couldn’t be and I’d get sacked, but if I worked 7-7 every day they would correctly think I was useless at my job or that there was no need for extra bodies.

The above will enrage Baracus but as I say I used to think the same as him.

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
7 hours ago, ICTChris said:
A guy in my work went on a Tinder date last week and the young lady asked him to rub brown sauce on her.
this is not appropriate office chat IMO.

Why not?

He doesn't like sauce.

Have to admit I also thought like that until moving into management. Unfortunately there’s a balance between not doing ridiculous hours (e.g. my boss who is often in 7am-7/8pm and works most weekends) and getting up at 4pm on the dot and dropping everything to head off. You should absolutely be doing that when you’re not ultimately responsible for success/failure of what you do, but it’s not quite as simple when you’re in charge. If I just got up and left every day at a set time there would be things left that couldn’t be and I’d get sacked, but if I worked 7-7 every day they would correctly think I was useless at my job or that there was no need for extra bodies.

Indeed.

There are of course inefficient people and brown nosers working needlessly long hours but certain jobs simply require you to go beyond the contract hours.

If you’re in a competitive service industry especially. If you let a client down because you insist on leaving baby on 5pm and lose that client, you will lose your job.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed.

There are of course inefficient people and brown nosers working needlessly long hours but certain jobs simply require you to go beyond the contract hours.

If you’re in a competitive service industry especially. If you let a client down because you insist on leaving baby on 5pm and lose that client, you will lose your job.

You should fire it into nursery or kindergarten or whatever it's called these days. 

40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm glad you used one of the important areas, rather than Doctors or Nurses.

This is pretty much my attitude at work. What’s better for me, doing an extra bit here and there, or having a client cause a fuss...I’ll just do the wee bit extra.

9 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

This is pretty much my attitude at work. What’s better for me, doing an extra bit here and there, or having a client cause a fuss...I’ll just do the wee bit extra.

I think you maybe take it to the extreme as you won’t find me going in at weekends or even worse days off. I still think that is utter madness.

Its not the money that bothers me working extra, it's' the time, I've already got up drove 30 minutes to work and spent 8 hours there with the prospect of another half hour and change getting home

Never mind the folk who get into work before 8am, do they just hate sleep?

I think you maybe take it to the extreme as you won’t find me going in at weekends or even worse days off. I still think that is utter madness.

If the clients happy, I’m delighted. Tbh, I’ll only go in on a day off or at a weekend if someone has made a right mess of something and I’m not busy. Easier to sort it myself and helps me think I’m irreplaceable as well.

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

If the clients happy, I’m delighted. Tbh, I’ll only go in on a day off or at a weekend if someone has made a right mess of something and I’m not busy. Easier to sort it myself and helps me think I’m irreplaceable as well.

We’ve had the discussion before and it has no impact on me so crack on. I just ignore my work phone at weekends and days off (unless on call) so would never know about any such situation before returning anyway.

We’ve had the discussion before and it has no impact on me so crack on. I just ignore my work phone at weekends and days off (unless on call) so would never know about any such situation before returning anyway.

True, if I never checked my emails when I wasn’t in I’d be oblivious (unless someone phoned my personal phone which I thinks happened twice in 5 year?). Walking back in to a meltdown I could have prevented wouldn’t be pleasant though

I think every workplace has at least one eminently dispensable person like that who thinks they can cover for lack of ability and appear indispensable by sheer consistent presence there.

We've certainly got two I can think of; one guy who's in every morning half an hour before flexi begins and can't take a day off without coming in for a while because he was "just passing by" from his home fifteen miles away, and a girl who's obviously been promoted beyond her capability level at least once, and mitigates the fact she's struggling by working unpaid overtime till eight or nine a couple of nights a week and the odd weekend day.

Not the way I'd want to live my life...I'd work on once in a blue moon if there's a bit of quid pro quo involved, but f**k making it the norm.

I think every workplace has at least one eminently dispensable person like that who thinks they can cover for lack of ability and appear indispensable by sheer consistent presence there.
We've certainly got two I can think of; one guy who's in every morning half an hour before flexi begins and can't take a day off without coming in for a while because he was "just passing by" from his home fifteen miles away, and a girl who's obviously been promoted beyond her capability level at least once, and mitigates the fact she's struggling by working unpaid overtime till eight or nine a couple of nights a week and the odd weekend day.
Not the way I'd want to live my life...I'd work on once in a blue moon if there's a bit of quid pro quo involved, but f**k making it the norm.

Most days I’m in about 5 minutes before I start and leave as close to finishing time as possible, except Fridays where I’ll bail out early if there’s nothing doing. It doesn’t draw the same reaction though.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

True, if I never checked my emails when I wasn’t in I’d be oblivious (unless someone phoned my personal phone which I thinks happened twice in 5 year?). Walking back in to a meltdown I could have prevented wouldn’t be pleasant though

Aye I’ve had a couple of days coming back to a shambles and it’s pish, but that’s what I’m paid for. I’m not paid to check my emails throughout my weekends and days off, and certainly not to show up if something has gone wrong.