Work colleagues

55 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Its why you'll be a minimum wage scheme goblin for the rest of your, thankfully short, existence.  :thumsup2

Belter, m8.

It'll be brown nosers like yourself who work for free after your scheduled finish time that will be on a ridiculously low hourly rate when you calculate your salary divided by how many hours you've actually worked. At least your payslip will show brownie points accrued. 

I get what some folk are saying about feeling they need to be available 'after hours' if they have more responsibilities and feeling the need to come in and sort something, or even staying back to finish something, but isn't that all creating and contributing to the culture where those things are expected?

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I get what some folk are saying about feeling they need to be available 'after hours' if they have more responsibilities and feeling the need to come in and sort something, or even staying back to finish something, but isn't that all creating and contributing to the culture where those things are expected?

Yes, it does.

As others have said, if you dropped dead or walked out the company would have you replaced by next Monday. f**k 'em.

I am often amazed by those who admire the hours you work more than the work you get done.

I can imagine them watching a marathon.

"Yeah, there was this one guy who stopped running a lot sooner than anyone else.  He just grabbed his trophy and went off home.  What a lazy sod."

"I was most impressed by the one that came last - glad to see that level of commitment.  He was the best."

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Belter, m8.

It'll be brown nosers like yourself who work for free after your scheduled finish time that will be on a ridiculously low hourly rate when you calculate your salary divided by how many hours you've actually worked. At least your payslip will show brownie points accrued. 

Mate, I work for ScotGov - I get paid far above the average annual UK salary for doing f**k all.

You know how I got that position?

By actually working in employment to improve my lot in life. You carry on being a minimum wage slave, the sort of guy who in his 30s is still in an entry level position, whilst the people who actually work accrue the related benefits at your expense.

Its not a shock to those who have actually worked to realise that the better you work the wider the range of higher paid opportunities become available as you advance through your career.

Edited by Jason King

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

The culture is long set in it's way though, you'd need a radical change in the way we all work to change those attitudes. If anyone who currently does a bit extra work/time just stopped doing it they'd likely find themselves sacked and replaced by someone who will. If we all moved to shorter working days where it was mandatory for people to go home at their finish time and get the free time/rest they need then the culture would change (and the productivity of the workers would increase).

The shite thing for me is my contract actually states I need to be contactable 24/7, so I can't even use the "I've clocked off" excuse if someone calls me out of hours or if we moved to a shorter working day.

2 minutes ago, Jason King said:

By actually working in employment to improve my lot in life.

You improving your lot equates to working harder to gain a higher paid job, for other people "improving their lot" could be giving themselves more time to do things with people they care about rather than working up the career ladder. Lording it over someone because you earn more money than them is a complete riddy.

15 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Mate, I work for ScotGov - I get paid far above the average annual UK salary for doing f**k all.

By actually working in employment to improve my lot in life. You carry on being a minimum wage slave, the sort of guy who in his 30s is still in an entry level position, whilst the people who actually work accrue the related benefits at your expense.

Its not a shock to those who have actually worked to realise that the better you work the wider the range of higher paid opportunities become available as you advance through your career.

:lol:

This reads exactly like a Barry Homeowner sketch from Athletico Mince. Bob Mortimer would be proud of that piece. 

What an utter gimp. 

36 minutes ago, Jason King said:

Great, so do I.

Im sure the use of the term scheme goblin wouldn’t go down too well. Perhaps you would like to apologise to the chap for your insulting tone and abusive language? 

Oh yes all all the hardworking employment considerate people stuff salmon and dill into their mouths before having a late night gym session to compliment their morning run, they just about have half an hour to themselves to catch an episode of game of thrones before collapsing in front of the 4k hd tv on their 1500 pound recliner. No worries though they'll be up bright and breezy at 5am to get a rewarding coffee from their straight from the bean machine.

Dont worry though it makes it all worthwhile for that 3 week holiday in Mexico where they can drink like teenagers again and briefly convince themselves its all worth it

A lot of judgemental folk here.

Some people enjoy working themselves hard and climbing to  high paying jobs that take up a lot of their life, some enjoy working their hours and spending their time outside of work,

There isn't really a right answer other than to not let yourself be exploited if you can.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of judgemental folk here.

Some people enjoy working themselves hard and climbing to  high paying jobs that take up a lot of their life, some enjoy working their hours and spending their time outside of work,

There isn't really a right answer other than to not let yourself be exploited if you can.

Where's the line though? How do you know if you giving your own time is going to lead to a promotion or if you are just going to continue to get the piss ripped out of you?

I've never worked in an office environment so I'm not privy to the culture but from the outside looking in it looks fundamentally flawed if you are on a contract to work X amount of hours for X amount of pay and you end up doing more than those hours for the same amount of pay. 

You would only have to work an extra hour per week to lose out on, and obviously save the company, more than a week's wage over the course of a year. Then multiply that by the amount of workers doing that. The owners would be laughing all the way to the bank at their monkey's employee's expense. 

16 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Where's the line though? How do you know if you giving your own time is going to lead to a promotion or if you are just going to continue to get the piss ripped out of you?

I've never worked in an office environment so I'm not privy to the culture but from the outside looking in it looks fundamentally flawed if you are on a contract to work X amount of hours for X amount of pay and you end up doing more than those hours for the same amount of pay. 

You would only have to work an extra hour per week to lose out on, and obviously save the company, more than a week's wage over the course of a year. Then multiply that by the amount of workers doing that. The owners would be laughing all the way to the bank at their monkey's employee's expense. 

Well it's incumbent on yourself to take responsibility and recognise when you're being screwed over. These are all things you should be asking in a job interview, not necessarily 'how much will you pay me for overtime?' but scope for progression, pathway to progression, overtime demands, in a sensible way. 

At the end of the day, all profit oriented companies are going to try and find the balance between maximising output with a limited level of resource, so situations where the demands of the job outstrip level of staffing. It's a really difficult balance.

Personally, I take a pride in anything I put my name to so it would bother me more to leave at my contract hours having let someone down than to stay a bit longer and have the company benefit at my expense.  That is probably my naivety though.

It's not healthy to work all hours and sacrifice life but similarly I don't think it's healthy to do a 9 to 5 job everyday that you don't give a shit about.  I want to find work that I'm passionate about, and won't care if I have to stay an extra couple of hours to finish it off.  I am yet to find it, but I will.

Edited by Dons_1988