Work colleagues

I'm sorry but this is absolute nonsense. They obviously will be doing that to the best of their ability, but it will not be feasible for the vast majority of workplaces to have loads of people all wanting off at the same time. I really don't understand why this is hard to grasp. 
It's not feasible. But managing it between teams is feasible. Every bit as feasible as torpedeoing everybody's leave for the rest of the year in June

I'm sorry but this is absolute nonsense. They obviously will be doing that to the best of their ability, but it will not be feasible for the vast majority of workplaces to have loads of people all wanting off at the same time. I really don't understand why this is hard to grasp. 
Nonsense is stating that people should bend over and get shafted by being forced to take their annual leave during a period of government lockdown, I presume you've taken all your leave during this period to help your employer?

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Nonsense is stating that people should bend over and get shafted by being forced to take their annual leave during a period of government lockdown, I presume you've taken all your leave during this period to help your employer?

I've taken a week to help and I'll be being considerate about any future requests. Clearly I have a better relationship with my employer than you all do. 

I've taken a week to help and I'll be being considerate about any future requests. Clearly I have a better relationship with my employer than you all do. 
We all know who'd be the first to grass to try climb the ladder then.

In all seriousness I work for a smallish company and we all have a good working relationship with the owners. They're good guys so we help them all we can and we're sensible about our holidays, not taking them all at the same time but I can assure you I'll either take or get paid for every day that I am due and anyone who doesn't is an absolute mug.

4 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

That's something that I believe is incredibly rare and you are lucky if it's the case that you will get some come and go over this when it's all over.

I believe you are an endangered species though. 

3 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

I think the problem you've got here is you're extrapolating your circumstances across everyone elses. If you've got a good relationship with your employer and you've reached a compromise that you're happy with then fine. It doesn't mean everybody else should just accept what their employer has forced on them.

The problem here is you've all totally missed the point. It is not unreasonable for an employer to ask employees, in the current unprecedented situation, to be sensible about annual leave. That's literally all I'm saying.

The extra context you have individually added on your own work circumstances explains why you may not want to, but i am saying t's not unreasonable to be asked. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

No, we don't usually name it as politely as that. 

I don't know how you have managed to come to the conclusion you have about me based solely on the last few pages of this thread. If you go in with 2 feet like this at your work then no wonder you have problems. 

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

The problem here is you've all totally missed the point. It is not unreasonable for an employer to ask employees, in the current unprecedented situation, to be sensible about annual leave. That's literally all I'm saying.

The extra context you have individually added on your own work circumstances explains why you may not want to, but i am saying t's not unreasonable to be asked. 

Not unreasonable to be asked, but it is unreasonable to be forced.

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

I don't know how you have managed to come to the conclusion you have about me based solely on the last few pages of this thread. If you go in with 2 feet like this at your work then no wonder you have problems. 

How else would I go in to work, levitating? 

I got to this conclusion by reading your posts. 

See be sensible is moving the goal posts, I agree with be sensible and I agree people may not be able to take the exact dates they may want but should be mature enough to realise why.

37 minutes ago, Empty It said:

To try make people take annual leave during these times is criminal, when everything is slightly more normal and everyone is back to work surely they can work it between each department so as to minimalise the amount of people off at the same time.

In my workplace this is impossible. Single site, small team who would all have effectively 5-6 weeks of leave to take in the space of 2 months. It is simply not acceptable to allow us to get into that situation.

In my workplace this is impossible. Single site, small team who would all have effectively 5-6 weeks of leave to take in the space of 2 months. It is simply not acceptable to allow us to get into that situation.
In that case you should be financially compensated for the leave you're unable to take, either that or carry it over to the following year.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

So let them carry leave over to next year, and the year after, as per government guidelines.

The most surprising thing, for me, from this debate is the train of thought that time off must be taken for a certain purpose. I took a 5 day weekend the weekend just passed, even though I'm working from home and can't really do much, but the 5 days off is an opportunity to switch off. A proper, do nothing, break helps, even during lockdown.

If you want to use your holiday just to get a break, that's absolutely fine. Many people prefer to save it for certain events/occasions or for when foreign travel is more readily available, for instance. The choice should be yours, not the employers. Within reason, obviously. I accept that a whole office can't go at once next June or July, but telling people they have to lose their leave if they don't take days off to sit around the house as they have already been doing for the past three months is unreasonable.

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The most surprising thing, for me, from this debate is the train of thought that time off must be taken for a certain purpose. I took a 5 day weekend the weekend just passed, even though I'm working from home and can't really do much, but the 5 days off is an opportunity to switch off. A proper, do nothing, break helps, even during lockdown.

If that works for you, cool. For others that isn't really helpful.