Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

What did your union say? 

We are being threatened with taking some of our floaters at the end of the month, union are consulting but apparently they can do it whether we like it or not. Could get ugly as they have been working flat out during this pandemic to fill our warehouses and now they are talking about reducing hours and forcing holidays. 

If people at our work had been off for 12 weeks they had 2 of the weeks used as holidays. ( our holidays run from April to April). Many return next week but a handful will still have to stay off but they will still get fully paid

However majority of my colleagues are still arseholes. 
Social distancing has been a good laugh, people wearing masks has been a good laugh and the one way system is evening more amusing.
Other than that i am glad i still have a job.

Of course they can. It's not a pleasant thought but employers can 100% dictate when holidays are taken.As long as they give you 2 days notice for every day you are asked to take.  
Clearly some people will have contractual agreements that would not allow employers to take this route.

Can you show me the legislation stating this please? Not only because I don’t think it’s true but my employers are encouraging we take at least a third of our holidays before end of July. They can f**k off, they’re my holidays, I’ll decide when I take them and it’s un-fuckin-likely I’ll be taking them when I can’t do anything.

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Can you show me the legislation stating this please? Not only because I don’t think it’s true but my employers are encouraging we take at least a third of our holidays before end of July. They can f**k off, they’re my holidays, I’ll decide when I take them and it’s un-fuckin-likely I’ll be taking them when I can’t do anything.

Cant they say no to a certain week you may want off? Don't you have to put holidays in from the start of the year?

Cant they say no to a certain week you may want off? Don't you have to put holidays in from the start of the year?

Aye, they could just deny any we put in but it’s unlikely that’d happen. Allocation is from start of Jan to end of Dec.

Just now, NJ2 said:

Aye, they could just deny any we put in but it’s unlikely that’d happen. Allocation is from start of Jan to end of Dec.

So you already have your allocation of what holidays you have this year? I have one coming up end of June, i'm not going anywhere ( was meant to be) but i need to take that week off unless i get it on another week where nobody else is off, we can not carry holidays over ( following April)

So you already have your allocation of what holidays you have this year? I have one coming up end of June, i'm not going anywhere ( was meant to be) but i need to take that week off unless i get it on another week where nobody else is off, we can not carry holidays over ( following April)

Nah, we get 28 days to take when we want over the year. Now they’re ‘encouraging’ us to take 10 days off before the end of July. I had a long weekend in April for something that was cancelled and same coming up, I won’t be booking any other days to do f**k all.

34 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

If people at our work had been off for 12 weeks they had 2 of the weeks used as holidays. ( our holidays run from April to April). Many return next week but a handful will still have to stay off but they will still get fully paid

However majority of my colleagues are still arseholes. 
Social distancing has been a good laugh, people wearing masks has been a good laugh and the one way system is evening more amusing.
Other than that i am glad i still have a job.

Are your guys back next week G_Man? Our sheltered colleagues have had their lockdown period extended to the 1st of July.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Nah, we get 28 days to take when we want over the year. Now they’re ‘encouraging’ us to take 10 days off before the end of July. I had a long weekend in April for something that was cancelled and same coming up, I won’t be booking any other days to do f**k all.

I get certain amount of days to take within 12 months that i book in to make sure others don't take that week off. I do keep a few days in case i need them for something or usually just take a weekend off in March. 
If you dont book any other days do you just lose them?

1 minute ago, Perkin Flump said:

Are your guys back next week G_Man? Our sheltered colleagues have had their lockdown period extended to the 1st of July.

Some are back next week, some are sheltered until 29th June, An email came down to say roughly who is coming back, phone calls should of been made beforehand (today or yesterday).

I get certain amount of days to take within 12 months that i book in to make sure others don't take that week off. I do keep a few days in case i need them for something or usually just take a weekend off in March. 
If you dont book any other days do you just lose them?

Unless I’ve something to book them for, I’m not booking days off. I don’t really plan ahead unless it’s a stag do or wedding to attend, other things will come up and I’ll book it as I go.
If I don’t book them at any point in the year I’ll lose them unless there is a reason for it (ie I’ve been working away from home, or management refused without reason).

34 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Probably something along the lines of “We’re powerless to do anything.”

I'm massively against unions as, in the past, they've been useless for me personally. My work is pushing big time against a certain group and it's hilarious seeing the "I am God" being downgraded two days later then pushing another way, before bottling it again. 

If your union say they're powerless, go elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I do understand why businesses are encouraging people to take days off (as annoying as it is). If everybody doesn’t take holidays until November-December time then there would be no way of everyone getting their time off.

The government have said employers should allow people to carry over ten days into next year's leave entitlement. Unless it is different in Scotland, but I'd be surprised if the SNP were more anti-employee than the Tories.

It's perfectly reasonable that people might want to wait until they can do something they really enjoy to take their holidays.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I do understand why businesses are encouraging people to take days off (as annoying as it is). If everybody doesn’t take holidays until November-December time then there would be no way of everyone getting their time off.

I understand why as well, I’m still not taking time off when I can do f**k all though. I’ve lost holidays probably every year I’ve worked for them so I’m not really worried about that prospect.

12 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Some are back next week, some are sheltered until 29th June, An email came down to say roughly who is coming back, phone calls should of been made beforehand (today or yesterday).

We are blanket the 1st of July which is odd given that it is a Wednesday. Really can't complain about the Companies response throughout this to be fair to them.

Im not too bothered about losing a weeks holiday as they paid the furlough. Not sure what I’d do with 30 days holiday with this going on tbh.

Reckon I’ll use up quite a bit just taking half days when it’s quiet and one week in the late summer for hillwalking if allowed.

It would be funny to see them squirm and ask for a written explanation of why we were forced to take holidays due to a global pandemic though.

My main issue is that for being more essential to the firm you are getting dragged back quicker than the wasters, unsurprisingly, but perhaps in a few months it will go unrewarded. 
Ah well you see we gave everyone the same bonus because blah blah bullshit.