Work colleagues

19 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Have you lot never heard the expression "wetting the baby's head"?

Yes, but I wasn't aware that involved actually registering your baby's name after 8 pints of absinthe like some of the guys being discussed on here. I just thought it was you and your mates having a drink to celebrate the arrival of the wean.

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Cant remember if I’ve mentioned on here but a guy at my work who lost most of one of his ears in a car crash, gets called 18 month (ear and a half).

I used to go to school with a guy who had different sized lugs - he was known as 'Oh dear'.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Is taking your baby to get its name registered a reason for a piss up? An alarming number of stories with the same outcome here.

You don't have to take your child - or anyone else's for that matter - with you to register its birth.

Edited by Jacksgranda
missed out a couple of words - daft old c***

My great grandfather was named after his brother who had died. Weird behaviour imo but apparently the done thing in the late 19th century.

I was looking at my family tree and noticed that a few generations back a relative had six daughters named Mary. On closer inspection the first five had all died before the age of two.

25 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

One of the times I've been most drunk in my life was at a work mate's wetting of the baby's head. Ended up in Mood which used to be the club at the Omni centre at the top of Leith walk. I think even at the time I found it a bit weird to be getting steaming with this guy while he had a days-old child but was at an age not to be that bothered. Great memories. 

Mood brings back memories. Only ever went there drunk. The bass used to be that powerful, you'd feel it in your stomach. I'd say that sound system brought on a spewing within th efirst 5 minutes the majority of times I was in there.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've been to loads of wetting the bairns heads. It's never once been on the day the child's name was registered. 

Why would you be invited to the registration?

In the one case I'm aware of, it was the bairn's dad and his brother, got pished in the pub on the way to the registrar's. Not an organised thing.

The only reason I mentioned wetting the bairn's head was because people were giving the impression that new fathers suddenly become teetotal between the day of the birth and the day the name goes down. I didn't say the two were necessarily connected.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Why would you be invited to the registration?

I never said I was, I said it the 'wetting the bairns heids' celebrations that i've been to weren't on the same day the name was registered. 

I've never heard of anybody going on the drink after registering their child's name - and I know some pretty scummy folk. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I never said I was, I said it the 'wetting the bairns heids' celebrations that i've been to weren't on the same day the name was registered. 

I've never heard of anybody going on the drink after registering their child's name - and I know some pretty scummy folk. 

Well, wetting the bairn's head isn't like a christening - you can have as many as you like; it's just an excuse for a drink - if you really need one.

And I presume you meant 'going on the drink before registering' because that's what I said that you were replying to. But how do you know nobody has done that? As I said, it wasn't an organised piss-up, it was two brothers went for a couple of pints on the way to the registrar office and stayed longer than they meant to. Judging by the woman's age, this would be in1935 or thereabouts - life was different back then.

Just now, GordonD said:

Well, wetting the bairn's head isn't like a christening 

I know exactly what 'wetting the bairns heid' is. 

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

But how do you know nobody has done that? 

Because I speak to my mates and their kids mothers/fathers.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I know exactly what 'wetting the bairns heid' is. 

Because I speak to my mates and their kids mothers/fathers.

I don't know why I'm being looked on as the bad guy here. This was nothing to do with my family; it was a woman I hardly knew and it happened 80-odd years ago. Maybe it was a unique situation, but it's not as if the father battered the wean or anything.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

I don't know why I'm being looked on as the bad guy here. .

You’re not, but you made a fairly ludicrous point to be honest. I think everyone has heard of wetting the baby’s head, no one would associate it with getting pished before registering the name which is what you equated it to.