Work colleagues

25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's easy for me to say I suppose because I don't manage staff any more. I did notice when I did though that there is a new category of staff who don't seem to understand the concept of being managed. If you get a few like that and a couple of poor managers it can get a bit chaotic. Different agendas and priorities among a team with a supposedly common purpose.

I know what you mean...they seem to fall into two categories; occasionally you get a knot of middle-aged wifies that have been fossilizing in the same job for ten years or more, normally headed up by a Granny Weatherwax character who does most of the talking, and who treat any change to The Way We Do Things as a mortal insult to the point they just ignore what's going on around them and just carry on regardless of what they've been asked to do.

The other lot tend to be younger - although I have to say the majority of younger ones we've had in recently have been great - and I can only assume have been ruined by intrusive helicopter parenting to the point where they think no-one's allowed to ask them to do something they don't want to or offer even the mildest criticism. You half expect their maw to be waiting outside for you at the end of the day.

50 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I know what you mean...they seem to fall into two categories; occasionally you get a knot of middle-aged wifies that have been fossilizing in the same job for ten years or more, normally headed up by a Granny Weatherwax character who does most of the talking, and who treat any change to The Way We Do Things as a mortal insult to the point they just ignore what's going on around them and just carry on regardless of what they've been asked to do.

The other lot tend to be younger - although I have to say the majority of younger ones we've had in recently have been great - and I can only assume have been ruined by intrusive helicopter parenting to the point where they think no-one's allowed to ask them to do something they don't want to or offer even the mildest criticism. You half expect their maw to be waiting outside for you at the end of the day.

Interesting. Which one are you?

16 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Interesting. Which one are you?

Funnily enough I was told by my current boss it was pointless to waste much time managing me as he pretty much knew he'd get the same results whether he put in the effort or not.

I assume he meant it as a compliment as we were pished at the time and at the "You're a fuckin' good guy..." stage of proceedings, but you never know.

Which one are you then?

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Funnily enough I was told by my current boss it was pointless to waste much time managing me as he pretty much knew he'd get the same results whether he put in the effort or not.

I assume he meant it as a compliment as we were pished at the time and at the "You're a fuckin' good guy..." stage of proceedings, but you never know.

Which one are you then?

w**k,w**k,good guy,w**k

To a lot of my fellow workers I'm a good guy 

To senior managers however...

17 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

w**k,w**k,good guy,w**k

To a lot of my fellow workers I'm a good guy 

To senior managers however...

Yeah, there's some up the food chain that you'd feel in your heart of hearts you were doing it all wrong if they didn't treat you as a necessary evil.

2 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

549_n_1_954_1.jpg

I reckon the punters with a wee element of Brent about them - those kind of middle-aged middle managers who thrive on being in work as they're fundamentally a bit lonely and it gives them a captive audience - would have fought tooth and nail against home working if the situation hadn't been taken out of their hands.

As it stands, two I know of who fall roughly into that category are making noises about retiring rather than going back to something they clearly won't like...it's like any huge change; it'll make up a few minds that enough is enough.

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm actually looking forward to going back into the office.  Back into a normal routine.

Although I'm very pro-WFH, I'd welcome the opportunity to mix it up a bit more too...I don't think being an actual homeworker is the way to go. There's a thing coming up next month that won't be able to be done remotely that I'll need to go into work for two or three days to do, and perversely I'm quite looking forward to it although I've got zero aspiration to be going back in five days a week in the longer term.

Remote working has been remote in a very real sense for quite a lot of people...as things stand I'm jumping between HR and training which means I get the chance to speak to a lot of different people on a regular basis, but there are some out there that literally haven't spoken to anyone bar their immediate boss for a full year now.

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Although I'm very pro-WFH, I'd welcome the opportunity to mix it up a bit more too...I don't think being an actual homeworker is the way to go. There's a thing coming up next month that won't be able to be done remotely that I'll need to go into work for two or three days to do, and perversely I'm quite looking forward to it although I've got zero aspiration to be going back in five days a week in the longer term.

Remote working has been remote in a very real sense for quite a lot of people...as things stand I'm jumping between HR and training which means I get the chance to speak to a lot of different people on a regular basis, but there are some out there that literally haven't spoken to anyone bar their immediate boss for a full year now.

Yeah being permanently home based is something I thought I’d enjoy pre-Covid but not sure I’d be too keen on it now. But conversely if it was to go back to 100% office based I’d be seething. 

That being said the reason I don’t mind being in the office is because I like my workmates and chatting to them is actually enjoyable. If I was in a workplace full of wankers I’d probably take being home based instead.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah being permanently home based is something I thought I’d enjoy pre-Covid but not sure I’d be too keen on it now. But conversely if it was to go back to 100% office based I’d be seething. 

That being said the reason I don’t mind being in the office is because I like my workmates and chatting to them is actually enjoyable. If I was in a workplace full of wankers I’d probably take being home based instead.

I'm the same. I love WFH but once or twice a week I would enjoy heading into the office because 

1. I seem to get more done whilst I'm there
  2. Seeing people that I enjoy being around, perhaps a game of Fifa or table tennis after lunch with some of them
  3. And grabbing a beer on a Friday with those people

I have asked for one day at home to fit in with my son having something on at 5pm. It woukd actually be better fir the company as would be working longer rather than leaving an hour early. Looks like its going ti be rejected. Bit of a joke really. Worked at home the whole last year (minus a short time back in) and company in the best position ever and they still think people WFH are skiving [emoji23]

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I have asked for one day at home to fit in with my son having something on at 5pm. It woukd actually be better fir the company as would be working longer rather than leaving an hour early. Looks like its going ti be rejected. Bit of a joke really. Worked at home the whole last year (minus a short time back in) and company in the best position ever and they still think people WFH are skiving emoji23.png

This isn't a dig at you, more the company.

You were on about salary a few weeks ago and seem to be well paid with a bit of responsibility. How can they acknowledge that in your salary, but not in your ability to manage your work and how you deliver it? It doesn't make sense.

This isn't a dig at you, more the company.
You were on about salary a few weeks ago and seem to be well paid with a bit of responsibility. How can they acknowledge that in your salary, but not in your ability to manage your work and how you deliver it? It doesn't make sense.

Mate tell me about it. It is totally bizarre. They basically told me that I will become a director and gave me a fairly hefty pay rise yet they think i cant work from home. I feel like im constantly banging my head against a wall with them. They are pretty old school but the company has grown substantially and probably outgrown them

Guest bernardblack

I would like to go to the hybrid (hate myself for using that word) working model. 
I’d imagine the office will be at its busiest on a Friday with everyone wanting to go for a beer after work though!

Some of my colleagues have arranged a minute's silence meeting to be held at 16:00 - on Teams. 

The meeting invite is: "A minute of silence to remember HRH Prince Philip, and all those who have passed away due to COVID19, including Sir Cpt Tom, and those who fought for our freedom in WW1 and WW2. Anyone is free to join and pay their respects."

3 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Some of my colleagues have arranged a minute's silence meeting to be held at 16:00 - on Teams. 

The meeting invite is: "A minute of silence to remember HRH Prince Philip, and all those who have passed away due to COVID19, including Sir Cpt Tom, and those who fought for our freedom in WW1 and WW2. Anyone is free to join and pay their respects."

Was there no-one else they could shoehorn in to their #showofrespect?