Best and worst areas of your town/city

35 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

So middle class folk have pushed working class folk out the area further away from the city centre into other shit holes. However, there are still some working class people around so you can enjoy living there without feeling guilty about your part in the occupation? And your takeover means there isn't enough of the plebs kicking about to have large enough numbers to have any influence on the area, or impact on your life, other than seeing them.

Imagine folk buying a flat in an area they like. Fucking scum.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, philpy said:

This place on leith walk. Been in a few times, plenty of stuff.ec0db062ad20f85f884c767e32c1953d.jpg

Very close to where I am, been in there a lot.  The one further up the road looks like it might be better from what I've seen.

No idea ... I've never heard of it, but then again, I'm not really the one to ask about the most happening hostelries. The Shed's still there if that's any use [emoji4] 

Ha ha, it was right across the roundabout from the church on the hill, just Googled it - now a Tesco.

I do like Shawlands but I try to forget my many failed attempts to get a lumber in the Shed.

Spent a bit of time around Battlefield and Southside in general past couple of weeks. It's definitely a nice place to live but the whole Southside is desperately trying to be the west end. You'll never be as cool as us kids.

Spent a bit of time around Battlefield and Southside in general past couple of weeks. It's definitely a nice place to live but the whole Southside is desperately trying to be the west end. You'll never be as cool as us kids.

Have to agree with you there. I'm sure there was even a plan to pedestrianize somewhere in Shawlands to create a southside version of Ashton lane.

Have to agree with you there. I'm sure there was even a plan to pedestrianize somewhere in Shawlands to create a southside version of Ashton lane.

Thing is I don't blame them. For all its criticisms of being "hipster" and "pretentious" the West End is a smashing place to live. I'm on the lower rungs of the income ladder but still manage to live here and live a great life. Compare my general mental wellbeing to my time living here to the years living in a grim bit of Paisley and it's night and day.

Shawlands is A1, I lived in the Merchant City for years so was a bit hesitant about moving further out but I prefer it. Has a more residential feel to it but between Kilmarnock Road, Newlands, Battlefield and Cathcart there's plenty pubs and restaurants to choose from. The Shed is one of the best places in Glasgow if you're a single handsome man in your mid-20s.

Shawlands may be very pleasant, but it has nothing which compares to Byres Road. It's a unique vibe which has built up over many decades, thanks in part to the uni. Mrcat is bang on. 

West End 4 - Southside 1

I lived just off High Street when I was at uni, so being back in Glasgow and staying on the South Side (kind of straddling Shawlands and Pollokshields) has been a small culture shock (having to get the train in to the city centre #firstworldproblems). It's nice enough and where I am is relatively quiet, which I like.

The West End is probably better (although I'd rather not live on or just off Byres Road) but that might be because I'm more familiar with it. I think I'd set foot in Shawlands once before prior to moving here.

Dennistoun is alright IMO. Not the best place but certainly not the worst. A couple of shitholes off the beaten track but that's true for a number of places.

Shawlands may be very pleasant, but it has nothing which compares to Byres Road. It's a unique vibe which has built up over many decades, thanks in part to the uni. Mrcat is bang on. 
West End 4 - Southside 1

That is true but there's no way I could deal with Byres Road every single day. I like going up there once every few weeks and it's the place to go if you're out with a lassie or showing someone Glasgow. Living in Partick would be a good compromise I reckon.

On 18/07/2017 at 22:47, ScottR96 said:

Cumbernauld. 

Best - Dullatur, Westerwood and Carrickstone are the nicest parts. A fair few Premiership footballers live up there. 

Worst - South Carbrain and Kildrum, the former being the worst of the two. You could probably extend that to the full of Cumbernauld town centre area. 

Lived in Kildrum for almost three years and never had a problem. South Carbrain and Milcroft in particular though are risky areas. 

Having lived in Cumbernauld all my life I don't recall ever feeling unsafe. Eastfield was probably the roughest in that regard as they had a very active Young Team when I was growing up. 

Lived in Blackwood for seven years and despite it being a quiet, safe area with majority of decent folk living there it was fucking boring. No shop, pub, nothing. 

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

So middle class folk have pushed working class folk out the area further away from the city centre into other shit holes. However, there are still some working class people around so you can enjoy living there without feeling guilty about your part in the occupation? And your takeover means there isn't enough of the plebs kicking about to have large enough numbers to have any influence on the area, or impact on your life, other than seeing them.

I'm from Possil :lol:

Growing up in EK
Worst: As has been said Greenhills is just a dive, have some relatively nice people who live there but it's mostly the dregs of the town up there. Don't think east mains is the most gentile part of the town either.
Best: Probably Stewartfield for it's nice houses and is still relatively close to the village and town centre, Lindsayfield is just a sad tribute act.

Southside of Glasgow (living now):
Worst: Govanhill. Without a doubt. The sad thing is I work just at the top of Victoria road and the place just depresses me, no redeeming features whatsoever and I wouldn't want to walk down Allison street at dark (especially if I was a young woman)
Best: To live is probably Muirend/Newlands area, not a massive fan of shawlands as they do have decent pubs, but a lot of neds seem to have discovered this and it's gotten a bit rough I feel.

17 hours ago, Torpar said:

Used to be one of the few places if not only place in Fife that allowed public drinking, probably brought in so the gentile locals could enjoy a glass of wine with their picnic on the beach. It was absolutely ruined by gangs of neds (myself included) from Inverkeithing and Rosyth coming through with a carry oot and generally being a pain in the arse for locals. One highlight was a game of football going on across a road with bus shelters for goals. Pretty sure the bylaw was changed soon after

Is the rest of the population Jewish, then?

I wouldn't want to walk down Allison street at dark (especially if I was a young woman)

I have on a good few occasions, it is really intimidating with all the groups hanging about. My wife used to know someone that was on the local residents association, some of the stories she told were harrowing. Every time I see a bread crate I feel physically sick.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the 'Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation' yet (just to add some data to this debate. The SIMD is something I look at a fair bit through my job and you can have a look at the map here if you are interested. Obviously it isn't the be all and end all but it does highlight things like health, employment and housing. What I always find is that in places like Dundee the 'deciles' used to measure deprivation can change so quickly. Behind my work the area is in decile 8 or 9 which is relatively affluent but yet right in front of my school we have people in the 'most deprived' deciles of 1 and 2. 

^I realise how boring this paragraph is.

For me - 

Dundee Best - The 'West End'. I grew up along Blackness Road and it had the perfect mix of everything really. My wife and I are expecting our first baby so we are already looking at houses there or potentially further east towards the Ferry, Monifieth and beyond (as a United fan I have to live East of Dobbies anyway)

Dundee Worst - Difficult one, as many have mentioned the areas that used to be considered the 'worst' have been regenerated pretty well (it was always Beechwood growing up). Invergowrie Arab made a good point about amenities. If it wasn't for the shops and transport links then there are parts of Stobswell that would be high on the list. 

Archived