Best and worst areas of your town/city

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

No why would you think that? 

If it wasn't for T-Hall and Chinatown it would be the worst area of Kirkcaldy, Links Street is lined on either side with depressing looking council flats filled with equally depressing looking people, where the f**k did you live before that to make the Links seem nice??

17 minutes ago, Torpar said:

If it wasn't for T-Hall and Chinatown it would be the worst area of Kirkcaldy, Links Street is lined on either side with depressing looking council flats filled with equally depressing looking people, where the f**k did you live before that to make the Links seem nice??

When was the last time you were in Kirkcaldy? Chinatown was knocked down about 20 years ago as were all the flats on one side of Links Street. Though maybe my criteria for what makes an area good differ to everyone else's. Seems any area containing expensive houses with nice cars outside is a good area while an area where there is council houses is bad and full of scum. 

I stayed nowhere before Linktown it was where I was raised. I would move back now but unfortunately my Mrs shares your opinion. IMO if you think somewhere like Dalgety Bay is a good place to stay in  you have never lived. 

Saracen Street isn't too bad if you're not involved with the general folk who hing about there. Worked a few times on the street and it's a totally different world. Think I'd prefer here to somewhere like Drumchapel as it's at least within walking distance of the city centre and taxis are usually under a tenner.

The best part of Glasgow is probably Dennistoun as it straddles the fine line between being a bit rough but student friendly and outright pretentious which Finnieston miserably fails to do.

Used to be one of the few places if not only place in Fife that allowed public drinking, probably brought in so the gentile locals could enjoy a glass of wine with their picnic on the beach. It was absolutely ruined by gangs of neds (myself included) from Inverkeithing and Rosyth coming through with a carry oot and generally being a pain in the arse for locals. One highlight was a game of football going on across a road with bus shelters for goals. Pretty sure the bylaw was changed soon after

I'm sure the real depravity in Aberdour went on behind the gated walls. G&T for breakfast, carkeys in the fruitbowl after dinner kinda place.

Rutherglen, place is just rancid. I would never go there past 5pm. 

I don't mind Rutherglen, had some decent nights out there. One pub is pretty rough, Stirrup Cup IIRC, I've no wish to ever go there again. The rest is fine.

24 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

When was the last time you were in Kirkcaldy? Chinatown was knocked down about 20 years ago as were all the flats on one side of Links Street. Though maybe my criteria for what makes an area good differ to everyone else's. Seems any area containing expensive houses with nice cars outside is a good area while an area where there is council houses is bad and full of scum. 

I stayed nowhere before Linktown it was where I was raised. I would move back now but unfortunately my Mrs shares your opinion. IMO if you think somewhere like Dalgety Bay is a good place to stay in  you have never lived. 

Nailed it!

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I've never had any bother in the 12 years I've stayed here. Wouldn't touch Greenhill road or Burnhill after dark but apart from that I like it.

Burnside for the nice bit, if that is still classed as Rutherglen, plus the houses overlooking Overtoun.

ex of mine lived near that road, so i totally understand what you mean by that and admittedly much of my opinion comes from the nights i'd stayed at hers or generally been in the area

2 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Rutherglen, place is just rancid. I would never go there past 5pm. 

My sister lives in Rutherglen so I've visited a few times and spent most of the time exploring local pubs in the evening. Her voice in the kitchen is far more dangerous, even before 5pm.

12 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Not sure if the Megabowl was open in 1992, maybe just, but otherwise the only bowling place was the GX Superbowl at Kingsway East. A 10 minute walk north from there would take you into deepest Douglas, which in 1992 was probably a bit of a bin.

The Megabowl opened in Lochee in the early 90's, but if you walked north from there into Beechwood you wouldn't be around to tell the tale. 

Edit - you could probably have reached Whitfield from the Superbowl in that time, which has been mentioned several times on this thread as one of Dundee's worst areas. Most of it has been flattened today.

Lochee to Whitfield has to be about an hour's walk minimum. Ardler maybe...

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

My Step-Dad is from Methilhill.

He tells the joke of a man walking along the street in Methilhill - sees a bakers with a pyramid display of pies in the window.

He walks in and says "Can I have one those delicious looking pies you have in your window display?"

The shop assistant looks perplexed "Eh? What pies in the window? There's only a wedding cake there."

That's lovely humour, it really is..

Places I've lived, all for at least four years.

Falkirk

Best - Always liked the town centre itself given the lack of pubs in any of the surrounding areas. The houses next to the High station in particular are v. dece. 

Worst - Langlees is a toilet.

Edinburgh

Best - Bruntsfield/Fountainbridge

Worst - Wester Hailes

Glasgow

Best - Partick is close to the West End without being massively pretentious. I like Finnieston if you avoid the worst of the hipster places.

Worst - Used to think it was Possil by a distance but since I've moved South of the river I've been stunned at how much of a crumbling hovel Govanhill is.

Some shouts so far for Glasgow have been awful. Dennistoun is a midden. The Merchant City is a real mixed bag. 

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The best part of Glasgow is probably Dennistoun as it straddles the fine line between being a bit rough but student friendly and outright pretentious which Finnieston miserably fails to do.

Archived