Best and worst areas of your town/city

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in the dreamy suburbs of Oakbank Perth these days but lived in Leith for many years, then Granton. Both best and worst in their ways. W Hailes was like Bosnia circa 2003..complete bandit country.

Granton is quite nice and in another 10-15 years it will be a very desirable place to live for average earners.

Wester Hailes is absolute awful, I worked at a site there behind the Odeon cinema and I couldn't believe it was actually a part of Edinburgh. I went for my lunch break inside that weird mall they have there and sat on a bench and had a Gregs (it was raining that day and I wasn't too sure of the welfare facilities on site) and I have never seen so many zoomers in all of my life which is some feat considering I often prowl about Great Junction street.

Granton was not much better in those days man, if you ventured far beyond the cosmopolitan strip of the shops/chippy/Lidl/bingo then you're into Pilton. As dodgy as The Anchor looked, you could not have paid me to drink in The Gunner. It was about the same size (and similar looking) as HMP Perth.

When were you last there PP? The Anchor Inn is still a shite heap but I don't know about the Gunner. The college has improved the area a lot and just west of the college there are lots of nice flats that have good views of the water over to Fife. Back near the Lidl/Granton harbour there are lots of nice flats as well (although Hesperus crossway ones are actually falling down) and then any further east you are in newhaven/trinity. The entire waterfront area will be a nice place to live and will carry on developing over the next few years and Ainslie park means that east pilton has more going for it. Anywhere west f Crewe road north is a dump though.

I lived there until 02/03 and tbf I was down at the harbour end of Granton. They were building the new flats as I left, I used to have a clear view across the water. Wasn't too bad but crazy traveller wars all the time. Leith was worse for trouble.

Way back in 1992, I went to visit a mate who was living in Dundee at the time. Where he stayed was a bit rough, to say the least. I just can't remember where it was. I remember being at a bowling alley and walking back to his place. It was north of the alley, and would only have been 10/15 min walk. I know It's a bit of a long shot, but, do any of you Dundee guys have an idea where that would have been?

Beechie or Clement Park.

Many moons ago,my late dad was manager of Jollys in Broughty Ferry.When it came to retirement time(1983),he was entitled to a council house,as it was tied accomodation in the hotel.This applied to Dundee,but also the neighbouring councils in Angus and Fife.Got a phone call from my mum saying they were going to look at a house in Cardenden,to which the reply was "No you're not"..Close call,they ended up in Monifieth,so all well in the end.

I remember going to the miner's clubbie in Cardenden - muscles on their muscles, tattoos everywhere - and this was just the women.

[emoji48]

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I have only had drinks in the Do'cot there. And once I went to the Pilton Hilton which was okay:

Never been personally. My girlfriend says some of the pubs round here are rough, they're not, the Gunner was rough.

Also, I used to go out with a girl from Methilhill. Honestly, W Hailes is like Vegas compared to that.

My Step-Dad is from Methilhill.

He tells the joke of a man walking along the street in Methilhill - sees a bakers with a pyramid display of pies in the window.

He walks in and says "Can I have one those delicious looking pies you have in your window display?"

The shop assistant looks perplexed "Eh? What pies in the window? There's only a wedding cake there."

11 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

I then moved to Aberdour for a few years and you'd struggle to find a better part of Scotland. Simply lovely.

Used to be one of the few places if not only place in Fife that allowed public drinking, probably brought in so the gentile locals could enjoy a glass of wine with their picnic on the beach. It was absolutely ruined by gangs of neds (myself included) from Inverkeithing and Rosyth coming through with a carry oot and generally being a pain in the arse for locals. One highlight was a game of football going on across a road with bus shelters for goals. Pretty sure the bylaw was changed soon after

Rutherglen, place is just rancid. I would never go there past 5pm. 

I've never had any bother in the 12 years I've stayed here. Wouldn't touch Greenhill road or Burnhill after dark but apart from that I like it.

Burnside for the nice bit, if that is still classed as Rutherglen, plus the houses overlooking Overtoun.

Archived