Best and worst areas of your town/city

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guru always had a good reputation, haven't been in years though. I lived near the Lothian Rd end of Fountainbridge and spent far more time in Tollcross than Polwarth/Bruntsfield/Morningside combined.

Just now, Boostin' Kev said:

Guru always had a good reputation, haven't been in years though. I lived near the Lothian Rd end of Fountainbridge and far spent more time in Tollcross than Polwarth/Bruntsfield/Morningside combined.

Trust you to bring up the most Hip Hop takeaway. 

I lived in Lambhill for a while and walked down Saracen Street going to/from the city centre, often late at night. It's certainly a scummy area, the shops are generally defence lawyers/funeral care/off licenses/take aways/bookies but I never saw any bother and as someone alluded to earlier, I felt safer there than in parts of the city centre at closing time. Probably because I didn't actually know anyone there. If I'd grown up in that part I'm sure it would be a different story. My father was very active in the community and had some interesting tales to tell.

As you head towards Port Dundas/Spiers Wharf it gets fancier. There's even a shop selling horse riding supplies. That massive Chinese supermarket is great as well.

The Seawoo is fucking excellent. I however made my first venture into deep Possil a couple of weeks ago and walked down Sarecen St. The area itself looks like a typical working class area of Glasgow but f**k me the locals and folk working in shops were something else. Never come across more rough and unfriendly folk in my life and I lived in a particularly grim part of Paisley for several years.

Best: West End, just beats the Ferry, better nightlife with the students - walking distance from the city centre, quite nice with the Green and the bandstand. Good mix of new flats and old Victorian or Edwardian-era houses. Also Ninewells is pretty close - which is handy.

Worst: Whitfield, just been beaten up and neglected since the scheme opened on the 60's or whenever. Bit of a shame really.  Ardler, Dryburgh and Fintry are similar.

Parts of Govanhill would take some beating in regards to "worst" areas.  In the past we had family ties to the area and seeing how it just appears to have been left to rot is quite disturbing.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Glasgow only has areas of varying degrees of excellence.  Which is what you would expect from Scotland's largest and greatest city.

^^^ Knows the score.

Even the terrible parts of Glasgow are excellent. Unlike Edinburgh which is mostly a midden.

6 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Glasgow only has areas of varying degrees of excellence.  Which is what you would expect from Scotland's largest and greatest city.

46 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Let's not start this shit again.

54 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Fountainpark Fry (corner of Gibson Terrace) is really good - good pizzas. So Good Chinese takeaway too.

That chippy is good, actually, I forgot about it because it is relatively new.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What is newton Mearns like these days ? My mother was brought up in that area and then made the right choice of moving to Dundee :-)

"Desirable", "Leafy", "Sought after" would be the estate agent parlance for "out of your league" ;)

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

That chippy is good, actually, I forgot about it because it is relatively new.

I like the staff in there. I'm sure they are all fine citizens but they have the generally menacing air of guys who need to get out of Naples for a few years until the heat dies down. 

Lyre nr clonakilty - best part the lyre bar. Great wee boozer nothing like it for miles around
Worst - lyre itself. There is literally nothing else for miles around

25 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I like the staff in there. I'm sure they are all fine citizens but they have the generally menacing air of guys who need to get out of Naples for a few years until the heat dies down

Not much point in working in a chip shop, then...

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My wife's "grandad" caught TB living in Newton Mearns and had to be shipped off to Rothesay or some other shithole.

True dat.

"grandad" in inverted commas has some worrying connotations. 

1 hour ago, Marr1 said:

Best: West End, just beats the Ferry, better nightlife with the students - walking distance from the city centre, quite nice with the Green and the bandstand. Good mix of new flats and old Victorian or Edwardian-era houses. Also Ninewells is pretty close - which is handy.

Worst: Whitfield, just been beaten up and neglected since the scheme opened on the 60's or whenever. Bit of a shame really.  Ardler, Dryburgh and Fintry are similar.

Ardler is nothing like Dryburgh and Fintry. As DTED said Whitfield has nearly gone. Population of 18000 in its heyday to about 7000 now.

Dunfermline

I don't think anywhere in Dunfermline is that much of a shitehole these days, but I don't stay there now and only end up really at east end park or the pubs in the centre. When I was younger there was Abbeyview that got a bad rep but I didn't think it was that bad and I think they have knocked most of it down. When hanging about Dunfermline when I was younger nowhere did I feel like I would be threatened or in trouble even late at night. The worst part is probably the high street which is like most towns the same size these days where its pretty shite, junkies floating about during the day etc and pretty soul-less.

Best - Folk would probably say Garvock or the new houses towards the eastern expansion (I don't really consider that to be part of Dunfermline though)

Edinburgh

Since living in Edinburgh I have lived in 2 places so they make up my best and worst areas. Broughton was pretty good. Plenty of pubs around there and pretty near Stockbridge and Leith which have been mentioned a few times here already.

I have also stayed in Gorgie (Gorgie Road itself) which isn't the nicest of areas and has some weird characters going around (including the Chinese man wandering with his hands behind his back every day all day with a female football team fleece on, either Spartans or heriot watt I cant remember) and the guy who sits in the bus stop and every so often gets up and walks into the Perspex side of it. Some guy in the tynie arms likes to watch videos at the side of the bar on his phone then engage in a rant at whatever it is he is watching. Theres also clearly some dodgy businesses along there too, like an arcade I never see anyone going in or out and shops that either never have anyone in them or one that just has a group of 30-40 year old men hanging about outside all day (and not the junkie looking types). You often see people moving house using trolleys, either that or using them as a getaway vehicle for whatever they have stolen. There's also someone that plays the Hibs cup final winning DVD loud as f**k every Tuesday night and then usually a drunken chorus on sunshine of Leith at some point. Our tenements are in a sort of L shape and its one of the flats  diagonal from us on the floor below so not in our stair well.

It is handy for cineworld, shops, local transport etc though

Archived