Best and worst areas of your town/city

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too bad in my suburb, Plainfield, but if you go into Chicago itself there's some real "no go" areas like Auburn/Gresham (taught there) Englewood, Little Village, Washington Park (Taught there too!), Lawndale & Austin (Taught there, that's what finally made me give up teaching). It's like fucking WW3 in some of these places, always fun to hear the Monday morning news list the number of weekend shootings and deaths compared to the previous weekend!

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Best - Pac Heights. 40 million dolla' houses.

Worst - 6th Street in Soma. An open air heroin den where dead people lie in the street like garbage. Where hope goes to die. This place will give you nightmares.

Theres always someone got to kick the arse out of it eh...

The Polwarth/Bruntsfield/Morningside triangle is obviously the classiest place in town.

I find that only people in Polwarth mention it in the same breath as people from Bruntsfield and Morningside.

I should clarify that I quite like Polwarth, but let's be honest; the average Morningside pensioner probably doesn't.

I find that only people in Polwarth mention it in the same breath as people from Bruntsfield and Morningside.

I should clarify that I quite like Polwarth, but let's be honest; the average Morningside pensioner probably doesn't.

I was about to say this, Bobby is forever trying to pretend he's middle class.

Brunstsfield and Polwarth are nowhere near as posh as Morningside, I actually think all those areas are overrated and lack character compared to Stockbridge. I also think that the Meadows is totally overrated compared to Inverleith park and the Botanic gardens.

I'm not saying where I live as I'm concerned some of the P&B radges will turn up and w**k into my letterbox but it's really just a 'burb, nice and quiet and we have nice neighbours.

Before buying a house I've lived all over Edinburgh.  First place we had was on the South side and it's an odd location.  Loads of students, expensive rents but also a large contingent of crazy jaikies roaming the streets at all hours.  The flat we lived in was on the fifth floor and had a roof terrace with a nice view of Arthur's Seat but we decided to move.

Moved to Polwarth and it's a nice area.  Close to town and convenient but still with enough of it's own shops, restaurants and pubs that you don't have to leave to have a decent night.  Polwarth Tavern and Golden Rule are good places, particularly the Rule.  I still go back there.  When I lived there I was pretty impoverished and our flat was horrible so when I managed to get a semi-decent job we moved again.

First place I lived in Leith was on Rossie Place.  We had friends who lived there so knew the area.  It's a fairly, er, ripe part of Leith :lol:  The first night we were there our next door neighbour got their windows panned in and we regularly had cops out to some of the flats around our street.  Nobody in our stair caused particular bother though, although after we left a charity for housing young offenders moved some young radge in, leading to this - http://www.scotsman.com/news/party-ends-in-violence-as-man-suffers-head-injuries-1-1817535

I got a better job when we were there so we moved about 500 yards to Montgomery Street and a much nicer flat.  We had a few ultra-crazy neighbours though, one guy was dragged away by riot police for battering his wife.  Leith is always lively and you've got loads of places on your doorstep without having to go into the city centre.  As a young person renting I loved it, certainly the best place to stay in Edinburgh in that situation.  

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I was about to say this, Bobby is forever trying to pretend he's middle class.

Brunstsfield and Polwarth are nowhere near as posh as Morningside, I actually think all those areas are overrated and lack character compared to Stockbridge. I also think that the Meadows is totally overrated compared to Inverleith park and the Botanic gardens.

Polwarth is decent and Bruntsfield is ok but doesn't seem like much of a community more of a place to live short term. Even when I lived close to both I very rarely drank or ate in those areas tbh. Morningside is awful imo. Stockbridge is good but only has the one gear. 

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not saying where I live as I'm concerned some of the P&B radges will turn up and w**k into my letterbox but it's really just a 'burb, nice and quiet and we have nice neighbours.

Before buying a house I've lived all over Edinburgh.  First place we had was on the South side and it's an odd location.  Loads of students, expensive rents but also a large contingent of crazy jaikies roaming the streets at all hours.  The flat we lived in was on the fifth floor and had a roof terrace with a nice view of Arthur's Seat but we decided to move.

Moved to Polwarth and it's a nice area.  Close to town and convenient but still with enough of it's own shops, restaurants and pubs that you don't have to leave to have a decent night.  Polwarth Tavern and Golden Rule are good places, particularly the Rule.  I still go back there.  When I lived there I was pretty impoverished and our flat was horrible so when I managed to get a semi-decent job we moved again.

First place I lived in Leith was on Rossie Place.  We had friends who lived there so knew the area.  It's a fairly, er, ripe part of Leith :lol:  The first night we were there our next door neighbour got their windows panned in and we regularly had cops out to some of the flats around our street.  Nobody in our stair caused particular bother though, although after we left a charity for housing young offenders moved some young radge in, leading to this - http://www.scotsman.com/news/party-ends-in-violence-as-man-suffers-head-injuries-1-1817535

I got a better job when we were there so we moved about 500 yards to Montgomery Street and a much nicer flat.  We had a few ultra-crazy neighbours though, one guy was dragged away by riot police for battering his wife.  Leith is always lively and you've got loads of places on your doorstep without having to go into the city centre.  As a young person renting I loved it, certainly the best place to stay in Edinburgh in that situation.  

That area around Rossie Place is gentrifying quite quickly although there'll still be plenty of the original families living there. Know a shopkeeper near top of Easter Road  that told me Starbucks are currently trying to get a unit there, couldn't believe it. 

Best - view looking down the lake

36-37-lac-annecy.jpg

Worst -

annecy-parc-des-sports.jpg

the stadium, now that our resident team (ETG) have gone bust and disappeared from existence. Zlatan, Eden Hazard graced this stage, now inhabited by ghosts...

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Re : Perth even in Dundee you would be hard pushed to find places like Letham eg Dunsinane Drive.

Letham is indeed a shitehole but it no worse than say, Charleston. Just a run down 60s council estate full of.....eh....characters. 

Perth overall is a bit of a midden. After they knocked down Muirton and parts of Hunters(which was the worst area by far) they shipped the reprobates to all the other estates, thus in turn changing them from not too bad to utter shiteholes.

Tulloch is still the centre if the earth though. 

Polwarth has most of Edinburgh's best takeaways, and Cineworld. Morningside has some good charity shops. Brunstfield is handy for birthday cards. Not a bad part of town at all. Too much of an uphill trek for throbber's wee legs to cope with. 

Archived