Best and worst areas of your town/city

Just now, Andy_K_97 said:

It aired at a bad time for me as well. I was the only one from the town and the only Killie fan on my uni course, and things were going well in late 2009/early 2010 in terms of meeting new people and adjusting to student life at the time. Then it aired...

If you think the Scheme is bad you should check out the one they did in Norn Iron called the Estate. Makes Kilmarnock look like paradise in comparison

Anyone with any sense is aware that all towns have bad parts and that documentary was only showing very small portion of the town so Im sure you could rise above whatever was thrown your way and nobody would judge you just because of what town you come from, that would be very small minded.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, yoda said:

In Inverness - the Ferry is quite bad (and, IIRC, one of the most deprived areas in Scotland). I mind people in school used to talk about bits of Dalneigh and Hilton being dodgy but they don't seem bad. Maybe a couple of shit streets but that's about it. Although in general the city centre is a scum magnet. The High Street is really depressing. But certainly a lot more good areas than bad.

I used to live near the Ferry in Telford Road (Grant Street being the border) and used to attend both primary and secondary school with the tinks from the Ferry. Even during the relevantly prosperous 90s, the kids used to turn up dishevelled and stinking of pish. If it wasn't for the free school dinners, id be surprised if they ate at all all day.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

I viewed a flat right in the middle of Govanhill a few months ago. Weeks later the exact same building turned up on a BBC documentary about people trafficking. The place was a shitehole.

In Inverness - the Ferry is quite bad (and, IIRC, one of the most deprived areas in Scotland). I mind people in school used to talk about bits of Dalneigh and Hilton being dodgy but they don't seem bad. Maybe a couple of shit streets but that's about it. Although in general the city centre is a scum magnet. The High Street is really depressing. But certainly a lot more good areas than bad.

There's places in Inverness a lot worse than the Ferry, blocks that would look uninhabitable in Mosul. Usually off the main roads. The Council must have spent f**k all on upkeep for decades. I'd say the centre is livening up a bit.

I like Stockbridge and Bruntsfield- there are interesting shops there. 

Rough parts- Drylaw, Pilton, Muirhouse, Calders have all been mentioned. I don't think anyone has mentioned Southhouse yet which has a few bams living there- the traffic lights have steel cages on them which is always a sign of neddery about. I suppose with the housing market in Edinburgh being what it is a lot of the previously rough areas have been more gentrified these days.  

I don't think I've ever been in a corner shop in Edinburgh that has a big steel security cage where the till is unlike the shop I popped into in the East End of Glasgow... 

Edinburgh:

Best: Morningside/Stockbridge/Meadows/Marchmont area.

Worst: Actually hate Gorgie, Hibs tinted specs (trying to come) off.

Aberdeen:

Best: Old Aberdeen - loved going to University there. 

Worst: Tillydrone or Torry...described on wikipedia as a "Garden Suburb" :lol:

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

This seems to be the policy, instead of corralling all the arseholes in the one place, the authorities (in our case the old NIHE) demolished the estate and distributed the tenants over all the other half decent places, transferring the problems they cause all over town instead of one place.

Norn Iron is place apart.

A giant Possil filled with private armies.

Ayr

- best bits Alloway and Doonfoot

-worst White city, Dalmilling and Lochside

Nice seaside town. South Ayr is one of the better places in the West of Scotland to live.

At least it shows you have a sense of humour. 
I don't know Kilmarnock at all but The Scheme did its reputation a great deal of damage, its the first thing that i think about when someone mentions the town though. 

Certainly people from Airdrie, as no c**t wants to live in that fucking cesspool let alone boast about it.

An uncle of mine who had grown up in Kilmarnock moved from there to Airdrie (now Calderbank, which is basically a scheme with fields around it). Just saying.

kilwinning

kilwinning is actually not that bad, woodside and Whitehurst are predominately the better areas, woodwynd, corsehill, blacklands and dirrens all look like run down schemes, but the majority of people living there are pretty decent, (mostly) . pennyburn has always been the worst bit. one of those schemes rattled up at the time of Irvine new town, and filled with the worst weegie scum they could find

5 hours ago, Torpar said:

Worst – Used to go to the Jack Kane Centre in Niddrie a lot and it was just a horrible area, the sports centre is full of reminders not to leave your valuables anything in your car, even petrol.

One lad we played 5's with was that worried about his radio cassette player being chored had decided to disconnect and remove it the night before. The smugness about his car having all windows/wheels intact on his return to the car park was short lived when it was discovered some Shan c**t had decided to syphon all the petrol out the tank :lol:

kilwinning
kilwinning is actually not that bad, woodside and Whitehurst are predominately the better areas, woodwynd, corsehill, blacklands and dirrens all look like run down schemes, but the majority of people living there are pretty decent, (mostly) . pennyburn has always been the worst bit. one of those schemes rattled up at the time of Irvine new town, and filled with the worst weegie scum they could find

I was amazed to find out that folk from Kilwinning see going into Irvine as a big day out for them.

Aberdeen - all things considered Rosemount is the best - has a bit of something for everyone and a real mixed bag of demographics.

Worst would be Logie - or posh name used on buses, Scatterburn - would be good if the expanded Haudagain allowed them just to start again in this area of social deprivation.

1 hour ago, LincolnHearts said:

One lad we played 5's with was that worried about his radio cassette player being chored had decided to disconnect and remove it the night before. The smugness about his car having all windows/wheels intact on his return to the car park was short lived when it was discovered some Shan c**t had decided to syphon all the petrol out the tank :lol:

the boy probably drank it too! 

As far as Paisley is concerned the worst is Ferguslie and yet there is so little of it remaining.

I lived there as a child till I was 7 yo and back then it was grim.

Since then almost all of the old tenements have been demolished and replaced with "own door" housing..

Best areas are Ralston, Thornly Park and Castlehead.

6 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

North carbrain and millcroft are worse than those tow areas.

There is no such area as Millcroft but Millcroft Road is in South Carbrain (and it is indeed awful). Abronhill is pretty shit near the shopping centre but probably not as bad as large parts of Carbrain. 

I remember Fleming Road in Seafar being labelled the worst street in Cumbernauld once upon a time but they've demolished the minging flats. Think the new flats have been populated by people who used to live in the tower blocks across the road, so I don't know where the social detritus who wound up in Fleming Road went. 

Aberdeen

Worst would be Logie - or posh name used on buses, Scatterburn - would be good if the expanded Haudagain allowed them just to start again in this area of social deprivation.

Logie was my shout also.

d0c5535231e850ddb7a79b687915d6fe.jpg

Perth: as long as you live on the correct side of the bridge then you're all good. Gannochy/Kinnoull/Isla Road/Dundee Road/Bellwood Park. Demonstrating the best of Perthshire accommodation.

My grandad was brought up in bridgend during, and after the Second World War and has always said Gannochy was the original Hunters, the council just decided to throw every scumbag in hunters eventually.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

My grandad was brought up in bridgend during, and after the Second World War and has always said Gannochy was the original Hunters, the council just decided to throw every scumbag in hunters eventually.

I'm pretty sure Gannochy houses are really difficult to get, think there's a large waiting list. I don't think houses in Hunters are very much in demand.

Archived