Best and worst areas of your town/city

I used to stay at my Dad's in Douglas every fortnight for a couple of years. My step sister used to have a few friends on the rough side, but seemed relatively fine to me, mid-90s anyway. He then moved from there to the bit of Auchterarder beside Gleneagles (Muirton). Never noticed the difference.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

What? Who said Dennistoun is nice?

56 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Places I've lived, all for at least four years.

Falkirk

Best - Always liked the town centre itself given the lack of pubs in any of the surrounding areas. The houses next to the High station in particular are v. dece. 

Worst - Langlees is a toilet.

Edinburgh

Best - Bruntsfield/Fountainbridge

Worst - Wester Hailes

Glasgow

Best - Partick is close to the West End without being massively pretentious. I like Finnieston if you avoid the worst of the hipster places.

Worst - Used to think it was Possil by a distance but since I've moved South of the river I've been stunned at how much of a crumbling hovel Govanhill is.

Some shouts so far for Glasgow have been awful. Dennistoun is a midden. The Merchant City is a real mixed bag. 

:lol: Dennistoun's fine. Duke Street's managed to gentrify to an extent without being taken over like the west end has. It's also close to the city centre and has inexpensive rent costs. Can't knock it really. 

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

:lol: Dennistoun's fine. Duke Street's managed to gentrify to an extent without being taken over like the west end has. It's also close to the city centre and has inexpensive rent costs. Can't knock it really. 

Image result for no gif

Best - The Grange.   Main reason being that this beaut is (in my opinion) in the Grange

Image result for rugby park

Little known fact about the Grange - childrens TV show Grange Hill is named after this area of Kilmarnock as the producer of the show was a Kilmarnock local and named it after Grange Academy which sits on a hill.   So there you go.

Worst:

Image result for onthank kilmarnock

Some people will say Onthank is ok, and I'm sure some people who live in it are, but you only need to read the local paper to see how much crime is either committed in Onthank or by people who live in Onthank.

Best - The Grange.   Main reason being that this beaut is (in my opinion) in the Grange
kilmarnock_rugby_park1.jpg

Little known fact about the Grange - childrens TV show Grange Hill is named after this area of Kilmarnock as the producer of the show was a Kilmarnock local and named it after Grange Academy which sits on a hill.   So there you go.

Worst:
2344773.main_image.jpg?strip=all
Some people will say Onthank is ok, and I'm sure some people who live in it are, but you only need to read the local paper to see how much crime is either committed in Onthank or by people who live in Onthank.

My gran used to live just along the road from Onthank and would always have her address as: Davaar Drive, Wardneuk Estate, Kilmarnock.

May have well have been Davaar Drive, NOT Onthank, Kilmarnock.

Must admit, I for one was quite surprised when I worked out where 'the scheme' actually was. I just presumed it was the hole on the other side of town where my other uncle still lives (they evidently don't have phone, internet or post yet).

My gran used to live just along the road from Onthank and would always have her address as: Davaar Drive, Wardneuk Estate, Kilmarnock.

May have well have been Davaar Drive, NOT Onthank, Kilmarnock.

Must admit, I for one was quite surprised when I worked out where 'the scheme' actually was. I just presumed it was the hole on the other side of town where my other uncle still lives (they evidently don't have phone, internet or post yet).

To be fair Wardneuk is a different place. Right next to Onthank but a different scheme and definitely more up market.

Not my neck of the woods, but my daughter stayed in Leith when she was studying in Edinburgh. Really took to the Leith Walk area.

In contrast the part of the city she stays now in the New Town (Stockbridge?) is a bit up it's own arse. There's two cheese shops within 50 yards of each other. I can accept one shop selling cheese, but two seems unnecessary. A choice of bakers, pubs and bookies is what I'm comfortable with...   

I don't get all the hate for Torry. I lived in Balnagask for years and every member of the Torry Derry was a stand up member of the community. All good c***s imo, a very close proud bunch.

Used to drink a lot in Woodside and again my wife is very proud of her Woodside roots, again a very close community.

The Bridge of Don, now thats full of tossers of the highest order, pretentious as f**k. No thanks.

Logie, Marchburn, Byron and Northfield are all full c***s you could not trust.

Hazlehead, Cove, Bucksburn and Shedocksly are all middle of the road.

I had a school friend who'd moved from Dundee to Perth, said he used to live in kirkton, always mind him saying it was bad area, any truth in it?

I'm probably a bit biased, but there are many parts of the Southside which are very nice ... Shawlands is okay for a drink, and Battlefield / Cathcart is fine for us older types who don't want to the hustle and bustle of city life but still want to stay close to the toon.

That area round the church on the hill and some other pub that looked on to Queen's Park was nice when I used to drink there.

I had a school friend who'd moved from Dundee to Perth, said he used to live in kirkton, always mind him saying it was bad area, any truth in it?

Yes

Although Kirkton seemed to produce a lot of good c***s. In my experience.

So middle class folk have pushed working class folk out the area further away from the city centre into other shit holes. However, there are still some working class people around so you can enjoy living there without feeling guilty about your part in the occupation? And your takeover means there isn't enough of the plebs kicking about to have large enough numbers to have any influence on the area, or impact on your life, other than seeing them.

I've just been googling the best place to buy sushi ingredients nearby.  I'm part of the problem.

This place on leith walk. Been in a few times, plenty of stuff.ec0db062ad20f85f884c767e32c1953d.jpg

36 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

That area round the church on the hill and some other pub that looked on to Queen's Park was nice when I used to drink there.

Still is! Except during gigs or big matches at Hampden when visitors' language can get a bit salty. 

6 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Is Agenda still on the go ?

No idea ... I've never heard of it, but then again, I'm not really the one to ask about the most happening hostelries. The Shed's still there if that's any use :) 

Archived