Best and worst areas of your town/city

Some parts of Wester Hailes are worse than others.  Murrayburn, the Walkers and Drumbryden is worse than Hailesland.   

Muirhouse and West Pilton is the worst area of Edinburgh though.    Shouts of Craigmillar are wide of the mark these days since Greendykes and the lower half of Niddrie have been flattened.   

On #Perthshire  it's basically all good, and some of it is borderline magnificent.  

I've not been through to Wester Hailes in a few years so I may be better now but it was rough when I was younger.

Woodburn through my way can be quite dodgy at times, it seems as if it's in the paper every six months due to people discharging firearms in the early hours.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I've not been through to Wester Hailes in a few years so I may be better now but it was rough when I was younger.

Woodburn through my way can be quite dodgy at times, it seems as if it's in the paper every six months due to people discharging firearms in the early hours.

I'm far too old for the Woodburn club.......what's it actually like as a nightclub?   

Best bit of Dundee, as in for a place to be rather than a place to live, Perth Rd & West Port. Best bit to live probably further up the West End.

The worst bits like Beechwood have been razed to the ground over the last 15 years since I was at school, possibly with their residents still inside. Not sure where would be considered the worst bits now but a few candidates north of the Kingsway I'd imagine.

Wallyford is ok, doesn't take long to get to Edinburgh, plenty supermarkets etc nearby. It's good having the lovely East Lothian coastline on your doorstep though, love a wee trip to north Berwick now and again.

Shouts of Craigmillar are wide of the mark these days since Greendykes and the lower half of Niddrie have been flattened.   

I pulled Scout Xmas post duty for Craigmillar and Niddrie in the mid 90s. Encountered a surprising number of nice people (more tips than elsewhere), but also a lot that had me thinking what sort of idiot would send Scouts out to such hovels in the dark.

I specifically remember delivering a card to a jakey living on a mattress in a corridor with the house number of something and a half between two formal flat numbers. I was reminded of this recently when I saw a bit of a Harry Potter film involving a platform with 3/4 in the name.

Thank Christ they've bulldozed it.

I'm far too old for the Woodburn club.......what's it actually like as a nightclub?   

It's alright I suppose. Most of my mates go down everyday single Saturday which I find mental because it's the same night out, same people and the same patter every week, it never changes. I've been hundreds of times and although I've had some great nights in there, I tend to avoid it now as it's the same night no matter how often or little you go if that makes sense. It makes a decent wedge though as it's jam packed every Saturday so they must be doing something right.

18 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:
24 minutes ago, philpy said:
Wallyford

Almost a decade on this forum and I've always presumed this user location was just some joke name. And I've been to Gash.

Wallyford isn't a terrible place to live.The/village itself - which is getting an enormous expansion - has very little going for it, but its geographically perfect, close to Edinburgh and the beaches and towns of East Lothian.   

Wallyford isn't a terrible place to live.The/village itself - which is getting an enormous expansion - has very little going for it, but its geographically perfect, close to Edinburgh and the beaches and towns of East Lothian.   

The expansion is very sore point -the traffic through the village will increase tenfold, something we don't need. There is a new road Being built which starts across from strawberry corner and comes out just before the slip Road for the A1. Until it's opened and it's proven to ease traffic through the village, I'll reserve judgement. A lot of people from the top end of prestonpans use The big shop on the Main Street in the morning on their way to work, I can't see them changing their routine.

Cumbernauld. 

Best - Dullatur, Westerwood and Carrickstone are the nicest parts. A fair few Premiership footballers live up there. 

Worst - South Carbrain and Kildrum, the former being the worst of the two. You could probably extend that to the full of Cumbernauld town centre area. 

Birmingham  Best - For pubs I would say the Jewellery Quarter. I quite like it by the canals in the town centre too. Solihull and Sutton Coldfield are okay too. Worst - Small Heath seems like the obvious answer, shabby and rundown.... but that's enough about Blues. 

Solihull is bland as f**k you boring git. It's not part of Birmingham either, as evidenced by its disgusting voting patterns.  

Kings Heath, Stirchley, Edgbaston and Harborne are decent. Moseley is okay for the hipsters, so I don't like it.

Basically anywhere along the Coventry Road is shite.

Jewellery Quarter is decent for pubs, as you say, but but not as good as it used to be before everyone else found out about it.

The city centre is more or less what you'd expect from a large city's city centre. Plenty to do, but a bit generic in some places.

Aston is beautiful, obviously.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Wallyford is ok, doesn't take long to get to Edinburgh, plenty supermarkets etc nearby. It's good having the lovely East Lothian coastline on your doorstep though, love a wee trip to north Berwick now and again.

I spend 4 months of the year (weekends) on drummohr, a good destination

Eyemouth doesn't have a worst area, so lucky me

Is Fairfield, Letham, Muirton or North Muirton the worst part of Perth these days?
Best : Oakbank? Craigie? Western Edge? Burghmuir?

Hunters is still pretty bad, some new houses have been put in, but the years of idiots living there has ruined it permanently.

Muirton is alright now, they've improved it. North Muirton is probably the same as its always been.

The better areas in Perth and now Kinnoull, Oakbank and the western edge tbf.

Worst - Greenhills. For a town the size of EK, there aren't many dodgy areas, but Greenhills certainly has the worst reputation. It's geographically isolated from much of the town and it's used as a bit of a dumping ground by South Lanarkshire for the dregs of society. I feel sorry for the decent residents as there's not much they can do when the council decide to house junkies from Blantyre or Hamilton in the same close as them. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the worst areas in neighbouring towns, but it's the only area I've ever been wary of walking through and I never used to enjoy going up there for parties in my younger days.

Best - The Village. It's pretty much the only area of the town with a bit of character. Most of the best pubs and restaurants are on your doorstep and the train station, bus station and town centre are all within a short walk. The ideal place to stay, really. There are plenty of other cracking places to live in EK, but nowhere comes close to beating the Village for its amenities. 

Best bit of Dundee, as in for a place to be rather than a place to live, Perth Rd & West Port. Best bit to live probably further up the West End. The worst bits like Beechwood have been razed to the ground over the last 15 years since I was at school, possibly with their residents still inside. Not sure where would be considered the worst bits now but a few candidates north of the Kingsway I'd imagine.  

Hilltown is real shithole these days. Of the schemes Whitfield has all but gone so it would have to be Kirkton or Fintry - though Douglas and St Mary's are getting worse - not due the housing but the assholes the council keeps moving in to these areas.

The best areas are Broughty Ferry and Riverside.

55 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Hunters is still pretty bad, some new houses have been put in, but the years of idiots living there has ruined it permanently.

Muirton is alright now, they've improved it. North Muirton is probably the same as its always been.

The better areas in Perth and now Kinnoull, Oakbank and the western edge tbf.

I always felt that North Muirton never really recovered from the flood in 1992/3.

Yeh, forgot about Kinnoull.

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Hilltown is real shithole these days. Of the schemes Whitfield has all but gone so it would have to be Kirkton or Fintry - though Douglas and St Mary's are getting worse - not due the housing but the assholes the council keeps moving in to these areas.

The best areas are Broughty Ferry and Riverside.

Riverside? you mean Tesco and the airport?

I was tempted with saying the Hilltown but it gets a pass as it does at least have half decent pubs, half decent takeaways and shops etc.

The missus is from Fintry so I need to visit on occasion. It's fine.

Kirkton is indeed the utter fucking pits and manages rise above (below??) the likes of St Marys due to the ongoing inter family warfare.

Spend a decent amount of worktime in Douglas and St Marys and again I would say no real issues with either.

I guess it's what you define as a decent area. I would say amenities is number one which is why Lochee, Stobswell and the Hilltown despite resident opiate enthusiasts and other colourful characters would be lievable. It's places like Mid, Charleston or Mill o Mains I would struggle with.

Archived