Dundee FC v Ross County FC

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit anxious and the season hasn't even started yet.

There was a lot of similarity to Dundee's shape in the DAB Derby with how Hibs played when they were up the road a couple of weeks ago in the cup.  Both teams used one out-and-out striker, a right winger who stuck to the flank, a shithouse of a defensive midifelder and more fluid movement among the rest of the midfielders.

Hibs to me look a more well oiled machine at the moment, but if McCann sticks with the same team from yesterday then I think that will cause County a lot of problems, and Allan will find more space than he did against United when he comes inside.  Having said that I was impressed with the quality of Randy Wolters's crossing when he came on for Allan.

County's back four have looked really good so far and I think the centre-backs could shackle Moussa if they aren't over-worked.  However the midfield is vulnerable and there isn't a fully formed strike partnership yet.  No goals vs Hibs and Arbroath is a minor worry but the concern for me is County being outnumbered in the middle of the pitch, regardless of who plays there.  County can't afford to play both Gardyne and Dow on the wings when Dow has one good moment and is anonymous for the rest of the match - he needs to get back to the form he showed in Spring.

How I think County will line up, like against Arbroath:

Fox

Naismith Fraser Davies Kelly

Gardyne O'Brien Chow Dow

Curran Schalk

I would advocate dropping Dow, bringing Lindsay into centre-mid beside Chow and O'Brien, with a lop-sided formation like Dundee's.  Chow and Lindsay are lightweight together, but with O'Brien among them I think it's a better option than gambling that Dow will be a match-winner.

County really could do with signing some more quality and/or beef for the middle four.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

There was a lot of similarity to Dundee's shape in the DAB Derby with how Hibs played when they were up the road a couple of weeks ago in the cup.  Both teams used one out-and-out striker, a right winger who stuck to the flank, a shithouse of a defensive midifelder and more fluid movement among the rest of the midfielders.

Hibs to me look a more well oiled machine at the moment, but if McCann sticks with the same team from yesterday then I think that will cause County a lot of problems, and Allan will find more space than he did against United when he comes inside.  Having said that I was impressed with the quality of Randy Wolters's crossing when he came on for Allan.

County's back four have looked really good so far and I think the centre-backs could shackle Moussa if they aren't over-worked.  However the midfield is vulnerable and there isn't a fully formed strike partnership yet.  No goals vs Hibs and Arbroath is a minor worry but the concern for me is County being outnumbered in the middle of the pitch, regardless of who plays there.  County can't afford to play both Gardyne and Dow on the wings when Dow has one good moment and is anonymous for the rest of the match - he needs to get back to the form he showed in Spring.

Fox

Gardyne O'Brien Chow Dow

Curran Schalk

I would advocate dropping Dow, bringing Lindsay into centre-mid beside Chow and O'Brien, with a lop-sided formation like Dundee's.  Chow and Lindsay are lightweight together, but with O'Brien among them I think it's a better option than gambling that Dow will be a match-winner.

County really could do with signing some more quality and/or beef for the middle four.

We could choose from:

5800b9860abd8.jpeg

8395013.jpg

or

00930825.jpg

31 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Fox

Gardyne O'Brien Chow Dow

Curran Schalk

I think you sum up the issues comprehensively. Dundee really impressed me yesterday and their shape could create a real headache for County. The team you predict JM picking does highlight where we are less than the finished article in the middle of the park. As much as I would be loathe to disrupt a solid back four I can see Dundee dominating control from midfield if we don't make adjustments. FWIW, I would be tempted to bring Tumilty in at RB and move Naismith into midfield to play alongside O'Brien, Lindsay (or Chow) and Gardyne. I think starting with Mikkelson and Curran would discomfort the Dundee defence too. Of course, all this could be filed under B for bollocks.

I'm feeling pretty good about this now. I think having a much of yesterday's intensity could prove to be a really valuable one in our league preparation as before the game, we hadn't really been tested that much and we've pretty much got 10 new players in the squad of pretty varied experience and background so I think that sort of game was a pretty good education. Davies and Fraser looked sturdy against Hibs but I didn't really think Hibs gave them a hard job so I think it'll be a different job for them. If we get Allan and Deacon involved and dynamically roaming, we'll win. Go back to the slow build up and cross to an outnumbered striker against decent aerial players and I don't think we'll trouble much.

I think Ross County's best game plan against us would be to focus on breaking centrally with pace. O'Hara and Kamara struggled positionally at times and it gave United quite a bit of space to exploit. I could see Schalk having a bit of joy in this regard. I think Mikkelson and Curran would allow O'Dea and Waddell to play to their strengths and maybe be a better arrangement for us. United pretty much just gave up on battling in the air up top and just focused on trying to drag our defenders around and I think that's what they aren't as good at.

This fixture will always remind me of when Greg Stewart tied the County defence in knots.

giphy.gif 

Rumour has it we're still trying to unscrew Ian McShane from the pitch.

Things from Sunday's performance that need to be addressed:

Getting decent crosses, particularly from Deacon.

Letting opposing players run directly at the heart of defence without putting in any challenges.

Getting Allan more involved like he was in the second half.

Playing the ball around the back four and keeper until someone gets put under too much pressure and makes a mistake and gives the ball away.

Corners and free kicks being woefully overhit or not beating the first defender.

Personnel-wise, I would be tempted to start Wolters and Deacon wide, with Allan in front of Kamara & O'Hara. Back four as was. Moussa needs a chance to prove he can do it at this level with good supply, El Bak and Haber waiting to come on when needed.

Will be another 1-1 draw, six County players booked & none sent off, despite committing several acts of GBH throughout the 90 minutes.

21 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

4B59752A-EB89-4E25-8EF9-B97E65F436F4-1083-000001637499C7FF_tmp.png.5c9d44693b922c1bc35748aad97c033d.png

The age of the Owl passed when the Academicals slotted 4 past us. The Owl now hides behind the bricked wall in shame.

We're now a more angry beast, that is feared around the region that we reside and now have the power to tear the weak like St Johnstone and Ross County apart.

images.jpg.6ec5e4394e6dd94294ba764c55c1ddb8.jpg

11 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Fox

Gardyne O'Brien Chow Dow

Curran Schalk

Fucking hell Anne Frank.

Archived