Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It absolutely doesn't.  But some guy called XBL made a bit of a fool of himself some time ago expressing precisely that opinion, and I think Mr Dullard is playing to the same crowd, as it were.

He's not playing the crowd (someone earlier suggested he was trolling which is simply not the case).

I think he has a point, kind of - but he's expressing it badly. I'd like to see FIFA tighten up the regulations in order to maintain the integrity of international football.

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd like to see FIFA tighten up the regulations in order to maintain the integrity of international football.

Same. It's become so mercenary I'm starting to wonder what the point of it is really. Given the choice between 11 guys who love Scotland as much as I do but aren't very good, or 11 guys who don't care much about Scotland but are happy to pick up international caps and are actually good, I can't say I like either of those options enough to be arsed about it.

I'd like to see FIFA tighten up the regulations in order to maintain the integrity of international football.

As would I, but seeing as they're already much further along than many other sports I doubt we'll see change any time soon.

As would I, but seeing as they're already much further along than many other sports I doubt we'll see change any time soon.

Yeah I know. The direction of travel is the opposite way. More players finding a tenuous link and basically getting themselves a cheeky wee international career.

And then the top players who might be able to choose between a couple of nations.

47 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He's not playing the crowd (someone earlier suggested he was trolling which is simply not the case).

I think he has a point, kind of - but he's expressing it badly. I'd like to see FIFA tighten up the regulations in order to maintain the integrity of international football.

And that on its own is fair enough.  But the rules are what they are, and while they are that way it would be irresponsible to not use them just like every other nation on Earth can (and mostly do).  Blutes has suggested - hopefully not with a straight face - that removing all the ones he considers ineligible would lead to Thistle players getting a call up.  They're my team, which is why I can say with certainty that none of them are anywhere near good enough*.  I just can't fathom why someone would want to make our side objectively and demonstrably worse over something so petty.  The people he picks are there because they're the best options in their positions. 

* Except Kris Doolan of course.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah I know. The direction of travel is the opposite way. More players finding a tenuous link and basically getting themselves a cheeky wee international career.

And then the top players who might be able to choose between a couple of nations.

I think there's a difference between the grandparent rule and players rocking up, getting a passport and being paid to play for some country they've never been near (Equatorial Guinea, for example). We have no idea how Scottish Matt Ritchie considers himself to be, or Russell Martin, or James Morrison, but presumably it's enough to be bothered to turn up and be humiliated by some Eastern European no marks before inevitably not qualifying for whatever they were going for. Writing someone off as "non-Scot" because they don't meet your criteria for Scottish is bizarre. 

I think there's a difference between the grandparent rule and players rocking up, getting a passport and being paid to play for some country they've never been near (Equatorial Guinea, for example). We have no idea how Scottish Matt Ritchie considers himself to be, or Russell Martin, or James Morrison, but presumably it's enough to be bothered to turn up and be humiliated by some Eastern European no marks before inevitably not qualifying for whatever they were going for. Writing someone off as "non-Scot" because they don't meet your criteria for Scottish is bizarre. 

Again, I think you're underestimating the importance of an international career, even for Scotland.

None of this is the fault of individual players or managers. I just wish the system was a bit tighter to lesson the 'journeymen' element.

2 hours ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

Isnt a football forum a place where fans are entitled to express an opinion ?

It is. It's also a place where people will call you out on idiotic opinions. You come across as xenophobic because you don't want English born players, no matter how Scottish they consider themselves or how much they want to play for Scotland, playing for Scotland. It's a stupid view and should be no surprise that folk are giving you glaringly obvious examples of how stupid your opinion is.

6 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Can we not have some sort of consensus on the scotland players as i dont watch english football i have no idea how good the english based players are, i only can judge them on scotland performances,bannon seems to get alot of flack but fraser and phillips dont not seen enough of these players to form an opinion.

Have you never heard of Match of the Day? I gather it's a rather popular highlights show on BBC1 that is shown on Saturday and Sunday nights which features footage from the English Premiership.

There's also The Championship and Goal Rush on Channel 5 that show highlights from the English Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. I'm led to believe this airs on Saturday nights and Sunday morning.

Guest DAVIDB69
Absolutely mental that so many folk wouldn't start McArthur

MacArthur has never shown anything at international level , he hasn't shown much at club level either

MacArthur has never shown anything at international level , he hasn't shown much at club level either

He's a strange one to me, must be a decent player there as he's been a solid performer down south for a good few years but I've never seen him have anything remotely like a decent game for Scotland.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Have you never heard of Match of the Day? I gather it's a rather popular highlights show on BBC1 that is shown on Saturday and Sunday nights which features footage from the English Premiership.

There's also The Championship and Goal Rush on Channel 5 that show highlights from the English Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. I'm led to believe this airs on Saturday nights and Sunday morning.

This is how i see English football it's like artificial grass, it looks like grass it feels like grass but it isn't grass,i have no interest in it,when i see these players playing for Scotland i judge them on Scotland performances not the club they play for and not the league they play in,for me Richie looks decent Morrison has been ok but the rest are mince.   

Apart from winning FA Cup with Wigan and being a finalist with Crystal Palace lol pretty successful by Scottish player standards. He's had a few good games but still agree he could show more in the Scotland shirt

Apart from winning FA Cup with Wigan and being a finalist with Crystal Palace lol pretty successful by Scottish player standards. He's had a few good games but still agree he could show more in the Scotland shirt

The role he plays is always going to be undervalued.

His defensive positioning is a strength - but this is very difficult to notice.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

The role he plays is always going to be undervalued.

His defensive positioning is a strength - but this is very difficult to notice.

Personally think he's average. Games pass him by and seems erratic in his play and technically quite poor whenever I've seen him.

Archived