Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

On 22/08/2017 at 10:43, The Moonster said:

Seems to be a goalkeeper thing mate, Antti Niemi could never get a look in either.

On 22/08/2017 at 11:01, TheScarf said:

He's finished mate.

You're probably right m9, he's 45 now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, forameus said:

And that on its own is fair enough.  But the rules are what they are, and while they are that way it would be irresponsible to not use them just like every other nation on Earth can (and mostly do).  Blutes has suggested - hopefully not with a straight face - that removing all the ones he considers ineligible would lead to Thistle players getting a call up.  They're my team, which is why I can say with certainty that none of them are anywhere near good enough*.  I just can't fathom why someone would want to make our side objectively and demonstrably worse over something so petty.  The people he picks are there because they're the best options in their positions. 

* Except Kris Doolan of course.

How gracious of you to even consider I have a point. Shall we consider that each has his own view ?

I know Thistle beat us 5-0 a few weeks ago and whilst the days of Jimmy Davidson, Johnny McKenzie and Alan Rough are long gone, surely the possibility of someone in the red and yellow hoops playing for Scotland cannot be ignored.

Disregarding the nationality thing, would anyone agree that it seems some Scotland players seem almost to have a "contract", and have international careers of a few years whether they play well, play badly or are not regular starters for their teams ? Ive noticed that some of the players had decent debuts and early games then fell away but still get picked. It has been suggested by so-called pundits that McGregor is too inexperienced to be thrown in against Lithuania for his first cap, and panellists all seemed to agree, as if only a player ( Bannan perhaps) with many caps but few decent performances would be more reliable. Its this attitude that will see us fail to reach yet another World Cup finals.

Just finally, in your last sentence, do you really believe the people he picks are the best options in their positions ?

Just now, Dullard Bluteau said:

How gracious of you to even consider I have a point. Shall we consider that each has his own view ?

I know Thistle beat us 5-0 a few weeks ago and whilst the days of Jimmy Davidson, Johnny McKenzie and Alan Rough are long gone, surely the possibility of someone in the red and yellow hoops playing for Scotland cannot be ignored.

Disregarding the nationality thing, would anyone agree that it seems some Scotland players seem almost to have a "contract", and have international careers of a few years whether they play well, play badly or are not regular starters for their teams ? Ive noticed that some of the players had decent debuts and early games then fell away but still get picked. It has been suggested by so-called pundits that McGregor is too inexperienced to be thrown in against Lithuania for his first cap, and panellists all seemed to agree, as if only a player ( Bannan perhaps) with many caps but few decent performances would be more reliable. Its this attitude that will see us fail to reach yet another World Cup finals.

Just finally, in your last sentence, do you really believe the people he picks are the best options in their positions ?

Well I wasn't replying to you.  If someone made the same point as you, I probably agreed with them because they managed to do it without circling it back to hating the English, like you manage to do with every post.

And yes, the possibility of a Thistle player playing for Scotland can be ignored now, and likely for a fair while to come.  Outside of Celtic, the story is largely the same with a few exceptions.  But of course, they're real Scots these guys, which automatically means they'll turn our fortunes around, waive any match fees they have, and run barefoot to every home and away game cos they're just pure dedicated, min.  Or, more accurately, they're worse players than we have playing for us now, and they'll struggle to make the step-up to a higher level.  Reminds me of the whole "It can't get any worse" argument.  Oh yes it can.

If you have any examples of better options, feel free to share them.  You're always very light on the detail with that.  All very well saying that we shouldn't be letting these turncoats play for us, but I don't see any direct comparisons from you.  What good, wee blue Scottish person is better than Russel Martin, for example?  Which one is better than Kieran Tierney (who wasn't born here)?  With a few exceptions - and there's only a few - he picks the best quality players we have available to us.  Luckily he isn't as filled with incandescent rage as you are at the sound of someone not speaking like he's in Braveheart.  Just because they've "failed" - and that's another pish argument, given that the same Welsh players failed countless times before they went to the semi finals of the Euros - doesn't mean that putting worse players in with PASSION will suddenly mean we succeed.  There are no better options waiting in the wings, we have what we have.

Well I wasn't replying to you.  If someone made the same point as you, I probably agreed with them because they managed to do it without circling it back to hating the English, like you manage to do with every post.
And yes, the possibility of a Thistle player playing for Scotland can be ignored now, and likely for a fair while to come.  Outside of Celtic, the story is largely the same with a few exceptions.  But of course, they're real Scots these guys, which automatically means they'll turn our fortunes around, waive any match fees they have, and run barefoot to every home and away game cos they're just pure dedicated, min.  Or, more accurately, they're worse players than we have playing for us now, and they'll struggle to make the step-up to a higher level.  Reminds me of the whole "It can't get any worse" argument.  Oh yes it can.
If you have any examples of better options, feel free to share them.  You're always very light on the detail with that.  All very well saying that we shouldn't be letting these turncoats play for us, but I don't see any direct comparisons from you.  What good, wee blue Scottish person is better than Russel Martin, for example?  Which one is better than Kieran Tierney (who wasn't born here)?  With a few exceptions - and there's only a few - he picks the best quality players we have available to us.  Luckily he isn't as filled with incandescent rage as you are at the sound of someone not speaking like he's in Braveheart.  Just because they've "failed" - and that's another pish argument, given that the same Welsh players failed countless times before they went to the semi finals of the Euros - doesn't mean that putting worse players in with PASSION will suddenly mean we succeed.  There are no better options waiting in the wings, we have what we have.

Out of interest you have stated that you are against paying to watch the national team via sky etc in past posts. You obviously don't go to games as you have also posted about not going to games due to ticket prices. So where do you get the analytical knowledge to evaluate Barry bannans performances for Scotland when you haven't seen any of the games?

6 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Out of interest you have stated that you are against paying to watch the national team via sky etc in past posts. You obviously don't go to games as you have also posted about not going to games due to ticket prices. So where do you get the analytical knowledge to evaluate Barry bannans performances for Scotland when you haven't seen any of the games?

Think you meant to quote Blutes there.  I'm the moron that bought a season ticket :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

giphy.gif

They basically are the best picks. And the reason players are not dropped after a poor performance or being out of their club side is that there's a view that international football should be run as much like a club team as possible.

Don't throw out players easily, stick with them, build a team unity. I'm not defending it, but it's done by a lot of nations these days.

Throwing together the most in form 15 players or so each time would leave a lack of continuity (or so the story goes).

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Calm down for goodness sake. I hope your team win tomorrow.

BTW is it true that the children of Thistle supporters are born with grey hair, lol ?

I'm not too keen on Armstrong as a number 10, especially against teams that are liable to sit a bit deeper; I tend to think he is most effective when deployed as more of a number 8, making penetrating runs from deep and with more of the play developing in-front of him. There should be some room for in-game rotation if the central three is Brown, Armstrong and Morrison, though.

I'm not too keen on Armstrong as a number 10, especially against teams that are liable to sit a bit deeper; I tend to think he is most effective when deployed as more of a number 8, making penetrating runs from deep and with more of the play developing in-front of him. There should be some room for in-game rotation if the central three is Brown, Armstrong and Morrison, though.

I'm not sure Lithuania will sit too deep against us. Malta, yes - but these guys should definitely see us as there for the taking.

Archived