Sportscene Watch 19/20

Not sure what the hell is going on here! Have I entered a parallel universe? The fact that he had his hand securely on top of the ball and was pulling/rolling it towards his body, means that he had full control of the ball. I give up.

He was flicking/rolling it back towards himself rather than picking it up because it wasn't secure though.

Watched the weekend's Bundesliga highlights yesterday evening and there was a game where a similar situation arose. The keeper had his hand on the ball on the ground and the opposition player proceeded to kick it to a teammate, whom then scored.  Immediately as the scorer began celebrating the ref had already blown for the foul and explained his reasoning to the players, there were very little if any complaints from either team and the English commentator proceed to explaining to the viewers why it wasn't given in the first highlight of the incident.

It all appeared to come across as a well known rule (albeit not in Scotland, surprise, surprise!) and the like of Rob Maclean giving it 'You learn something every weekend. Well, I do anyway' just added to this.

So fair play to Dallas, he's a fucking terrible referee but he got this one spot on.  

Just now, SaintDougie said:

Watched the weekend's Bundesliga highlights yesterday evening and there was a game where a similar situation arose. The keeper had his hand on the ball on the ground and the opposition player proceeded to kick it to a teammate, whom then scored.  Immediately as the scorer began celebrating the ref had already blown for the foul and explained his reasoning to the players, there were very little if any complaints from either team and the English commentator proceed to explaining to the viewers why it wasn't given in the first highlight of the incident.

It all appeared to come across as a well known rule (albeit not in Scotland, surprise, surprise!) and the like of Rob Maclean giving it 'You learn something every weekend. Well, I do anyway' just added to this.

So fair play to Dallas, he's a fucking terrible referee but he got this one spot on.  

Similar isn't same mate. Keeper probably hand his hand directly and firmly on top of the ball. That wasn't the case in the Motherwell/Hearts game.

21 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

He was flicking/rolling it back towards himself rather than picking it up because it wasn't secure though.

The ball was between his hand and the ground, therefore under the rules he was in control of it.

I disagree with the rule as I don't see simply putting your hand on the ball without securing it in your grip as being in control of it, but the rule says that is being in control of it and it was absolutely the correct decision.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The ball was between his hand and the ground, therefore under the rules he was in control of it.

I disagree with the rule as I don't see simply putting your hand on the ball without securing it in your grip as being in control of it, but the rule says that is being in control of it and it was absolutely the correct decision.

The law states that the ball has to be "trapped" between the GKs hand and the ground. That's the problem with the rule. At what degree do you consider the ball to be trapped? If it only takes the slightest touch to shift the ball out of the GKs touch, then can it really be considered a trapped ball?

12 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

The law states that the ball has to be "trapped" between the GKs hand and the ground. That's the problem with the rule. At what degree do you consider the ball to be trapped? If it only takes the slightest touch to shift the ball out of the GKs touch, then can it really be considered a trapped ball?

The word 'trapped' is not included in the rule: http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct/chapters/indirect-free-kick

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The word 'trapped' is not included in the rule: http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct/chapters/indirect-free-kick

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! People on here want to read the rule, and while they’re reading the rule, watch the split second when the ball is kicked into the goal. Now, if after doing this you think that the referee has got his decision wrong, I will shoot myself.

Caught some of afternoon Sportsound today and i don't know if I just missed it but after the classified results they talked about the OF game then started on about Man United v Liverpool before a quick chat about some of the Scottish Premiership. There didn't seem to be any in depth Premiership chat though maybe I missed it before the classifieds but there was absolutely zero acknowledgement of the leagues below.

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

First time I've watched the Saturday afternoon Sportscene in ages.

Do they always dedicate so much time to the English Premiership/Cup games? Bonner and Thompson doing analysis on these FFS.

I'm pretty sure it started later than usual today and instead of finishing early they moved onto England which was still ongoing (the joys of 3pm ko in Scotland). Usually Saturday afternoon showing finished relatively close to when the games are finishing (15-20 mins post FT).

• 2 weeks later...

f**k knows where to put this but he'll be appearing on Sportsound soon no why not.

McGhee blaming everyone and everything for his six-man ban and failure at Barnet whilst saying he is done with being a manager and instead wants to impart his great amount of failure on  to others, Expect great waves of sympathy from his chums when he turns up on the BBC.

(The link is to the Sun's website for anyone who wants to avoid such horrors.)

24 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

McGhee blaming everyone and everything ...

When he was at Aberdeen, I heard him on consecutive weeks on the radio absolutely betraying his squad by calling every one of them out for a lack of effort and character as a deflection from his appalling stewardship. Both times, it was laced with, "Anyone who knows me will tell you that I never criticize my players, and I have never criticized them before, this is the first time..."

The second week it happened, I was driving home and thought to myself, "Eh? It's at least the second time to my certain knowledge!" Then to my great surprise the guest pundit back in the studio made exactly that point, then went further and said that he'd been shifting the blame to his players for several weeks. Don't know who the pundit was, but he was pioneering the role that I has recently been filled by Michael Stewart, which I would describe: "Don't close ranks and conspire to deny reality on behalf of those of us who have played the game."

Not a man whose integrity or managerial credentials I would trust.

Edited by sugna
Severe dyslexia