Sportscene Watch 19/20

Absolutely no offence intended towards Hearts or Hibs, but the ease at which the OF won their league cup semi finals should be a serious worry for anyone in Scottish football with half a brain.

The sad thing is, he is correct in that this was the final the television broadcasters wanted, and the worrying thing is that this imbecile was a key member of the Scotland national team staff. The short-sightedness will be what turns people away from Scottish football, but people like him will never realise it as long as Rangers and Celtic are battling it out for league and cups. 

Hearts and Hibs are fucking rubbish to be fair. People assumed they might give them a game purely based on who the clubs were, not the actual players and managers. The results were exactly what you'd expect of two pieces of bottom six junk who scraped through to the semis.

The general point might hold in the sense that I think Killie and Livi are the only teams who haven't taken a battering off either of them so far this season. I'm not sure many of the top 8 would have put in such an insipid performance in a semi-final, right enough.

The thing is, there is nothing wrong with media, pundits, etc. wanting an Old Firm final as they are the two best teams, biggest rivals, sold out stadium and possible guide to who is favourites to win the league yadda yadda yadda. Same way they would want Man City v Liverpool, Real Madrid v Barca, etc.

But to assume all other fans of Scottish football want to see it is just insulting. Without even remotely liking either Hibs or Hearts, I'd have had a fucking stauner if both of those teams had won and we had an all Edinburgh final. The collective seethe would have been beautiful.

The only 'good' thing about an OF final is that it might actually be close. Depressingly, either one of them vs a diddy this season is likely to be a total non event like yesterday.

It's going back to the point where you almost can't be arsed with making a semi if you're up against one of them, such is the effort involved to more than likely see your side get pumped.

As has been said, it is a terrible state of affairs for our game but those in the media and those running it cannot see beyond their showpiece fixture.

I think (mainly because Rangers are overspending at the requisite level again) - we have come full circle to the place the media and assorted former player pundits are most comfortable - the OF duopoly. Viewing figures/clicks/circulation are all easier when you just concentrate on the easy stories about the big two to the virtual exclusion of all else.

The Armageddon years were (for me anyway), the most interesting Scottish Football had been for years. The problem that the media faced was that there are no viewing figures or clicks about ICT, County and St Johnstone winning stuff or diddy teams getting european berths and high league finishes. The almost audible sigh of relief from the media now that the game has got back to its soul destroying worst is as depressing as it is predictable.

Sportscene giving the opening 15 mins to some route 1 punditry about a competition that they can't even show the goals from was laughable, as was the fact that they were unwilling (or more likely unable due to the fucking pathetic rights they (under)paid for) to extend the coverage of the league games from the weekend that they could show. I'm not really sure who the "talk about Rangers and Celtic and end the show early" format was aimed at... 

Edited by Swello

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hearts and Hibs are fucking rubbish to be fair. People assumed they might give them a game purely based on who the clubs were, not the actual players and managers. The results were exactly what you'd expect of two pieces of bottom six junk who scraped through to the semis.

The general point might hold in the sense that I think Killie and Livi are the only teams who haven't taken a battering off either of them so far this season. I'm not sure many of the top 8 would have put in such an insipid performance in a semi-final, right enough.

Hearts and Hibs had both drawn against their semi-final opponents in the run-up to the games. I didn't expect Hearts to win yesterday but I thought they might have put up a bit of a fight at least.

Hearts and Hibs had both drawn against their semi-final opponents in the run-up to the games. I didn't expect Hearts to win yesterday but I thought they might have put up a bit of a fight at least.
Both of them caught their opponents on off-days in front of noisy home crowds. Those off days are rarer at Hampden in a big game.

Still no excuse for the nonsense Hibs (for the first half) and Hearts (for the last 70 minutes) served up. At least take some bodies.

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I still don't understand why the BBC even read out Gerrard's post-match quotes so often.

I must admit I'm not sure what the BBC get out of this boycott.

'We refuse to come to Ibrox, except we're still going to cover Rangers extensively, just in an infinitely more amateurish way'.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Both of them caught their opponents on off-days in front of noisy home crowds. Those off days are rarer at Hampden in a big game.

Still no excuse for the nonsense Hibs (for the first half) and Hearts (for the last 70 minutes) served up. At least take some bodies.

Setting up in the same ultra cautious manner as we always do in Glasgow against Rangers when it rarely delivers anything other than a comfortable win for them was totally baffling as well.

It was about as free a hit as you're ever likely to get for MacPhee yesterday. I'm not saying go gung-ho but at least set up in a way that gives them something to think about.

His tactic, based on the line-up, appeared to be get it to 60 minutes then bring on Ikpeazu, Naismith and Walker. If Ikpeazu is fit enough to last a half or more, why not let him batter the Rangers centre-halves for the first half at least? 

Relying on Hearts to get deep into the game without either Rangers scoring or a Hearts player going off injured (or getting sent off, as would have happened to Maclean) was madness as well.

You've also got Wighton making his first start of the season for no real reason plus Hickey and Clare being shunted all over the place because he refused to put a centre half on the bench. 

Grim.

39 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I still don't understand why the BBC even read out Gerrard's post-match quotes so often.

I think they should get an impressionist done up as Stevie G, plonk him in front of a sponsors board and get him to act out Gerards's comments every week :)

To be honest, those "sh1tfest it until late on, then score a set piece" tactics  worked for McInnes in last season's LC semi.

If the tactics do work, then nobody cares too much how you played  - but if they don't, it feels like a waste of a Hampden day out - and all the stuff about 'just wanting your team to make a fight of it' will come to the fore. 

Edited by tarapoa

To be honest, those "sh1tfest it until late on, then score a set piece" tactics  worked for McInnes in last season's LC semi.
If the tactics do work, then nobody cares too much how you played  - but if they don't, it feels like a waste of a Hampden day out - and all the stuff about 'just wanting your team to make a fight of it' will come to the fore. 

Indeed, the final shows the fine margins here too. It worked to an extent against Celtic but we conceded late in the first half and never really looked like scoring so criticism then follows.

26 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Aberdeen don't have players going off injured in every single game, thereby ruining your chances of bringing on the players you'd like to make a mark on the game later on - and that's provided all goes well with the shitfesting, which it rarely does for Hearts against Rangers in Glasgow.

MacPhee's big sell was meant to be: "I'm my own man." He set out Hearts exactly as Levein would have, albeit with an even stranger line-up.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

If Ikpeazu is fit enough to last a half or more, why not let him batter the Rangers centre-halves for the first half at least? 

Grim.

Daz summing up all that's wrong with Scottish Scottish fitba, no wonder it's so poor when you've got attitudes like his.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
8 minutes ago, bennett said:
Daz summing up all that's wrong with Scottish Scottish fitba, no wonder it's so poor when you've got attitudes like his.

What would you know about "Scottish fitba" you've never been to a game in your puff you oxygen thief.

No wonder you're trying to deflect away from Daz's shocker of post, why bother playing fitba when you just "batter" other players....