Partick Thistle vs Flag Stealing ****

jagfox

Decent performances in 2 tough fixtures, we were also missing Erskine and Storey tonight. Sammon and Turnbull were standouts for me, Barton was just not suited to that game, and he gave up even participating in ET. Rangers really don't look like a squad built with several million quid.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammon, Edwards, Elliott and maybe Lawless ran through brick walls for us, even if the quality of the final ball lacked at times. However Barton and McGinn were at walking pace, possible fitness issues with McGinn but his side was being exploited more as the game went on. I had very little confidence in our back three holding out either, some horrific lapses in concentration throughout the game that put a couple of sitters on a plate for the ****. The players deserve serious credit for getting it to extra time, but a Celtic or Aberdeen would probably have put us away by three or four.

Must say though, that was one of the best forward displays I've ever seen from a Thistle player by Conor Sammon. To feed off the most pitiful of scraps and turn them into some genuinely quality opportunities was an outstanding effort, and without him I honestly think we'd have been penned in the entire game and lost by three or four in the 90. I assumed he was brought in as a third choice, sparingly used target man; pleasantly surprised he's got that kind of quality and determination in him, and if we weren't playing his parent club next I'd have him first on the team sheet.

I'm confused about something that I'm hoping some Rangers fans might help clear up for me. 

Why did you celebrate a goal against Partick Thistle by singing about how much you hate Catholics? 

It just seems unbelievably moronic but I'm probably missing something. 

Seemed like the players ran themselves into the ground to grab the equaliser, as they were nowhere to be seen for ET. We had all the momentum going into it, so I can't think of another explanation, really. The "shitebag" excuse which so often applies to us doesn't particularly makes sense in this circumstance, as grabbing a late equaliser to take the tie to ET is pretty much the opposite of our normal displays of shitebaggery.

We were decent today, but I really felt like that mob were there for the taking. They're just really not very good, and I won't be surprised if Celtic absolutely cuff them again on Sunday. Morelos looks a great wee player, and they've made some serviceable signings like Dorrans and Jack, but the rest of the foreign contingent are a bunch of diddies; Cardoso, Candeias, Herrera and Pena will all be out of the door as soon as Caixinha gets the boot. Speaking of which, typical of us to let another total haddie like Pena score against us. Add him to the list along with Calvin Zola, Joe Dodoo and the rest of the utter dug meat that have scored against us since we came back up.

Sammon was excellent, but Barton really needs a spell on the sidelines. Just miles off it. I'm still not convinced about Scully, either.

Result was probably a fair reflection on the game. Thought Rangers knocked it about well in spells, but only when Thistle sat off them. Whenever Thistle put pressure on they proved more than capable of matching them. Morelos apart, Rangers appeared to have zero goal threat during the 90 minutes with most of their decent chances coming from Thistle defenders and midfielders making a c**t of things. Their defence also somehow managed to look worse than last season. Cardoso in particular looked like he was playing well outside his comfort zone.

Not sure either side can take much from the game. Shame BT didn't put the Hibs game on instead.

It's difficult to be objective when you are a supporter of one of the two teams, but I'm a bit disappointed that Thistle didn't put in a good enough performance to get through the tie. I'm still not convinced that I've seen our best players in their best positions so far this season, and when we try to use substitutes they are rarely capable of making an impact (apart from Doolan's goal obviously). 

Hope my seat in the Jackie Husband Stand has survived the last two games.

Archived