Sticking up for Scottish Football

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

They include all the divisions.

A larger percentage of Scotland's population attends games than almost anywhere.  I think only one or two countries, with much smaller populations than even ours, can compete.

Iceland is definitely one. Cyprus possibly the other?

Scratch that, won't be Cyprus. Their top division attendances look like the Scottish Premiership if you take out our biggest 5.

As stated by most Posters on this thread, there's numerous positives about the Scottish game but it's continually let down by those running the game and the Clubs. The parochial media compounds the negatives.

Unless the fans unite in a strategic manner to force change for the betterment then we're stuck with it.

7 hours ago, sjc said:

As stated by most Posters on this thread, there's numerous positives about the Scottish game but it's continually let down by those running the game and the he parochial ounds the negatives.

Unless the fans unite in a strategic manner to force change for the betterment then we're stuck with it.

Agree to some extent.  Was temporarily locked out of aberdeen accies game mid week because the home team had 'run out of tickets' and then treated pretty shabbily inside ground by stewards. But fans uniting? The repulsive song books dug out by the cheeks at Firhill last night and Fir Park last Sunday provide a pretty large wedge between fans in scotland.

Anyone who'd rather watch a game on TV than in the flesh is a fucking weirdo. The mood around Falkirk hasn't been great this week, but I'll still be glad to be walking down to the stadium at 2:30 rather than watching 'Jeff and the boys'.

When I was in Korea I played fitba with this Scottish Celtic fan who told me once that he found it weird the first (and only) time he went to Celtic Park because "there wasn't any commentary". FFS.

Decent footballer TBF to him.

The pub last night had Arsenal vs Leicester on the big screen and the Thistle vs Celtic game on a wee one in the corner. There was a group of about eight Scots lads pretending to be massive Arsenal fans, singing songs about Giroud and everything. What on earth is that all about?

51 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

The pub last night had Arsenal vs Leicester on the big screen and the Thistle vs Celtic game on a wee one in the corner. There was a group of about eight Scots lads pretending to be massive Arsenal fans, singing songs about Giroud and everything. What on earth is that all about?

Ugh I've been at parties where that fucking Giroud song got started. Fucking morons to a man. 

48 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Where was this?

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Meadowbank.

In Edinburgh? That might explain the lack of interest in the Celtic game. I tend not to watch football in pubs unless I'm away from home, but I've never experienced that type of thing. Football tends to be a background or a distraction if people are out. I don't know anyone that still goes out, specifically to watch a game. It sounds more like they were pished and having a carry on, rather than making choices.

Maybe you should have a think about where you drink.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Maybe you should have a think about where you drink.

It's the only local pub with BT Sport, certainly not my usual venue. To be fair I don't think the Friday evening kick off helped the clientele.

It's this poor marketing for 20 years that has cost us big time compared to our rivals on the continent when it comes to TV Deals.

Just an FYI on TV deals in other European Countries

£51.7m a year in Belgim
£40m a year in Norway (although that is every game live)
£36m a year in Switzerland (who get smaller crowds and have a similar number of live games)
£23.6m a year here

8 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

It's this poor marketing for 20 years that has cost us big time compared to our rivals on the continent when it comes to TV Deals.

Just an FYI on TV deals in other European Countries

£51.7m a year in Belgim
£40m a year in Norway (although that is every game live)
£36m a year in Switzerland (who get smaller crowds and have a similar number of live games)
£23.6m a year here

Switzerland has about 3.5 million more people = lots more TVs and the deal is for ALL the superleague games, as per

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2016/10/07/Media/Swiss-Football-TV-deal.aspx

Having said that, you are not wrong, given the huge interest in football in Scotland we should be able to get a better deal although the BT audiences for the BetFred Cup aren't great, just 26K, 28K, 44K and 52K - no figures up for the Dundee-United games yet. Maybe because it was the League Cup of course...

Just now, EdTheDuck said:

Switzerland has about 3.5 million more people = lots more TVs and the deal is for ALL the superleague games, as per

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2016/10/07/Media/Swiss-Football-TV-deal.aspx

Having said that, you are not wrong, given the huge interest in football in Scotland we should be able to get a better deal although the BT audiences for the BetFred Cup aren't great, just 26K, 28K, 44K and 52K - no figures up for the Dundee-United games yet. Maybe because it was the League Cup of course...

Sorry - must have been misinformed (might be getting confused with another country)

Just now, Marr1 said:

Sorry - must have been misinformed (might be getting confused with another country)

To be sure, I still think you have a valid point. Even if every game in the Prem was shown live I don't think we'd get much more and frankly SKY/BT would have us playing on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday nights and shite like that

Personally, as a TV Deal - I would have:

- 80 Live league Games (10% of which must be from Championship-L2)
- All Play-off Finals Live (and QF and SF in Premiership POs)
- Scrap the only 4 live home games for the OF Rule
- Set Kick off times wherever possible - work toward a time that doesn't clash with EPL
- Try to get some Saturday night highlights on Free Telelvision

All for roughly £40-50m per season

That shouldn't be too hard, however - we have a donkey in charge of the SPFL who struggles to run a piss up in a brewery

I don't know anything about foreign TV deals, but it would be interesting to see how many of them have their own channel showing games. As in, we're only shown by Sky and BT, both of whom have English + major European league games live aswell. Does Belgium have a channel which shows only Belgian games live?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know anything about foreign TV deals, but it would be interesting to see how many of them have their own channel showing games. As in, we're only shown by Sky and BT, both of whom have English + major European league games live aswell. Does Belgium have a channel which shows only Belgian games live?

I'd imagine that they would have a Sky/BT equivalent which would pick up the rights to other leagues too, but the Belgian league would be the main focus of their coverage. As in, they're not relying on French satellite companies for their Belgian coverage, which is what we're doing with Sky/BT and England. 

Any better tv deal would only be shared between the 2 cheeks of the same arse while the rest fought over the scraps they drop. If it doesn't involve "the well" then as far as I'm concerned 2 f**ks couldn't be given. Until the day same equality financialy you see in other leagues is shown in ours then there is no benefit to the rest of Scottish football no matter how great a deal could be achieved.

Archived