Craig Thomson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's mistakes and there's mistakes. It's well known that the weekend of the least number of mistakes was when the jocks went on strike and these foreign chappies came in and showed everyone what real refs could do. 

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

There's mistakes and there's mistakes. It's well known that the weekend of the least number of mistakes was when the jocks went on strike and these foreign chappies came in and showed everyone what real refs could do. 

Yep. I can't remember who Celtic were playing but there was a horrendous decision against them that weekend. Cost them a point or two I think. To the surprise of nobody we didn't hear a peep out of the usual conspiracy merchants.

15 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Yep. I can't remember who Celtic were playing but there was a horrendous decision against them that weekend. Cost them a point or two I think. To the surprise of nobody we didn't hear a peep out of the usual conspiracy merchants.

You've just made that up. The foreign officials did fine.

4 hours ago, ropy said:

I refuse to believe he has it in for Motherwell alone, and just that he is not very good.  Am I wrong?

Just watched the highlights. No idea what Motherwell are whining about. The third red is probably wrong but the game was long gone by then. He also called the free kick wrong that led to the opener but it was on the halfway line. The first red card is spot on though and McHugh's second yellow should have been a red on its own.

Is handling the ball a red card offence (genuine question)?  Why pull Moult back after beating two players, why give Saints a free kick that led to their goal.  The one I agree he got right was the second yellow to 'Bob' for a robust challenge.  Why give a penalty when he didn't see a challenge?

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I'd suggest he was lenient on the second red - should have been straight.

At least the second yellow means they can't appeal the red. Though would he miss an extra match if it was a straight red?

49 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is handling the ball a red card offence (genuine question)?  Why pull Moult back after beating two players, why give Saints a free kick that led to their goal.  The one I agree he got right was the second yellow to 'Bob' for a robust challenge.  Why give a penalty when he didn't see a challenge?

Handling the ball is a red card if it is DOGSO

No idea what Motherwell are whining about.

It's a bit bizarre. They seem to fail to mention they were already losing and hadn't had a serious shot on goal when the first red came about, instead entirely blaming the ref for the loss.

Strange thread. Motherwell gave their fans plenty to be worried about at the weekend. It's going to be a long old season for them. The three reds were the only possible decisions he could make (except for the straight red he could have given to McHugh, but that's a non-issue).

There's this strange idea that referees in Scotland are uniquely bad. This is parochial and has little basis in reality. Plenty of Italian fans had unflattering views of Colina, and Kim Milton Nielsen wasn't that popular in Denmark. It's part of the narrative and psychodrama of being a fitba fan. Referees are often convenient scapegoats for our teams' defeats. They do a hard job and I admire the hell out of them for it (after work on a Tuesday who the hell feels like driving up to Dingwall to get shouted at for an hour and a half?). Our refs are no better or worse than those in other leagues, probably. 

It's a bit bizarre. They seem to fail to mention they were already losing and hadn't had a serious shot on goal when the first red came about, instead entirely blaming the ref for the loss.

What the score is at the time has absolutely no bearing on the refs decisions and whether they are correct or not surely?

I'm blaming our players decision making and inability to defend for the defeat. Dunne for not showing Scougall outside at the first goal, Tait for allowing O'Halloran to cut inside for the second, Carson for grabbing the ball and not toeing it out the park and McHugh for 2 daft tackles.

The only decisions that I have a problem with are the foul in the lead up to the first goal, not playing advantage when Moult skipped past a few tackles and the penalty/3rd sending off. While the game might have gone differently if those decisions were made correctly, they were not the cause of our defeat.

What the score is at the time has absolutely no bearing on the refs decisions and whether they are correct or not surely?

Im not saying it is, I'm saying there's Motherwell fans who seem determined to blame the result on the ref.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im not saying it is, I'm saying there's Motherwell fans who seem determined to blame the result on the ref.

I am sure if St Johnstone or any other team had the same decisions made against them as we did on Saturday the reaction would be exactly the same. In fact worse if it were Rangers or Celtic - but Thompson would probably not send anyone off let alone 3.

Very few Well fans are saying the only reason we lost was because of the referee, but he was chronic. Several of his decisions were poor leaving aside the red cards. 

I was at the game and actually felt we were the better side for the most part and up until the 1st red card. Yes St J were more clinical and in MOH have a very decent player. But most of the game in the 1st half took place far away from the away end. Yes we were powderpuff but I was fairly convinced we could get something from the game as the 2nd half started. 

For a ref to give a red card he needs to be 100% or near as dammit that the offence merits one. We have debated all 3 this weekend and everyone pretty much agrees the McHugh challenge was a 2nd yellow and probably merited. But the 3rd was a joke and even the 1st - was it denying a clear goal scoring opportunity - I don't think so. 

Referees have off days much like players and managers do. We also have refs who most teams see is on their game on a Saturday and grumble before a ball is kicked. Beaton and especially Thompson fall into that category for Motherwell. Conversely every time I see Steve McLean I know we have a good chance as his record for us is actually very good in terms of results. 

We will likely appeal the 1st and 3rd red card and I suspect we will not get let off for both. If it was Scott Brown however then yes we would....

26 minutes ago, welldaft said:

For a ref to give a red card he needs to be 100% or near as dammit that the offence merits one. We have debated all 3 this weekend and everyone pretty much agrees the McHugh challenge was a 2nd yellow and probably merited. But the 3rd was a joke and even the 1st - was it denying a clear goal scoring opportunity - I don't think so.

Keeper handling the ball was a tight call but I think a red was correct. McHugh was fortunate not to get a straight red. Last one ref was conned by a dive. 

OK, we all know which refs are the worst, but which one is the best.

I'd bet very few of you would be able to come up with a name (I know I can't) simply because the best referees are the ones you never notice.

No big mistakes and no primadonna attitude = good referee.

Who the feck would want to be a ref?,i think the guys that become refs are the ones that didn't get a game at school,the guys that wanted to play but wheren't good enough
now they are in control of the game and want to piss us all off,it's a thankless job with no sympathy, they are a necessary evil,the Nigel's of the game 
Every time McLean,madden and Robertson ref Celtic games i think Celtic are going to drop points why because of their mistakes in games gone by leaves a lasting impression.
If managers have styles in managing teams,if players have styles in how they play,then referees have styles in how they ref.

Archived