Berwick Rangers next manager

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean the new manager will not be full-time as Coughlin has been? Is that confirmed?

What will happen to those aspects of club affairs which have come to rely on a full-time manager?

Whether that be in relation to the playing squad, development or age-group teams, off-field business, etc. etc.

It was only last week that the club was appealing to recruit a network of volunteer scouts.

Indeed it even stated...

"the club has been more active in the community since Coughlin’s return, with the first-team boss playing a key role in implementing a more definitive youth infrastructure"

... so what happens to that infrastructure?

You mean the new manager will not be full-time as Coughlin has been? Is that confirmed?

What will happen to those aspects of club affairs which have come to rely on a full-time manager?

Whether that be in relation to the playing squad, development or age-group teams, off-field business, etc. etc.

It was only last week that the club was appealing to recruit a network of volunteer scouts.

Indeed it even stated...

"the club has been more active in the community since Coughlin’s return, with the first-team boss playing a key role in implementing a more definitive youth infrastructure"

... so what happens to that infrastructure?

My thoughts precisely. The club really will die if we continue to knee-jerk to ill conceived changes to sound strategies. Grass roots is the only way we will build anything sustainable. Neil Oliver is a fantastic mentor and coach; and gets the long-term ideals. Full-time manager please.

Id rather a full time manager too, or at least someone else at the club aside from the manager who can take over some of the positive steps made off the field. I don't mean in fixing the roof.

Provide a budget to allow the Manager to assemble a squad

Championship opponents Morton 1 – 0 home defeat

League Two opponents Edinburgh 2 – 2 away draw

League One opponents Queen’s Park 3 – 2 home defeat

Premier opponents Motherwell 1 – 0 away defeat

League Two opponents Clyde 3 – 1 home win

League Two opponents Stirling 4 – 0 away defeat

Development opponents Kilmarnock 2 – 0 away win

League Two opponents Annan 5 – 1 home defeat

Two very bad results but the sack?

11 minutes ago, leb8t said:

A: In fairness, he's had a good 2 years to do that
B: Mutual termination, not sacked. I think he knew his time was over

1 minute ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

A: In fairness, he's had a good 2 years to do that
B: Mutual termination, not sacked. I think he knew his time was over

A: Yes I agree he had 2 years and that first team results are the priority and increasingly Managers stand or fall by their recruitment,  but is it not a bit quick? Integrating new young players there will always be fluctuations,  why not the first quarter of the season? 

B: Despite club statement it was not mutual termination, the usual euphemism, I think he knew he did not have the full backing of the board. 

54 minutes ago, leb8t said:

Agree. Missing a key defender in Scullion in these games also. 

5 hours ago, A Believer said:

Neil Oliver is a fantastic mentor and coach; and gets the long-term ideals. Full-time manager please.

Just F*ck right off and stop splaffing total sh*te... Neil Oliver is the 2nd biggest self opinionated waste of space known to man, after Yellow feet, using his initials as a piece of advice... Neil Oliver.... NO! 8)

Surely if Neil Oliver was serious about getting the job, he'd go out there and prove himself as a manager? As far as I know, he had a short stint as assistant manager about a decade ago, managed Duns to the bottom of the EOS, then had a short stint at Coldstream where many say he couldn't be bothered and it was a bit of a shambles. Even in his recent role with the u20s, he only does home games. Hardly a glittering record.

Compare it with Robbie Horn who's gone out and worked hard to build a reputation at Vale of Leithen and had brilliant success at Bonnyrigg. Not to mention working as assistant manager under two managers and his history at Berwick and affection for the club. It's a no brainer for me if that was the choice.

The constant pushing of Neil Oliver seems to come from his friends and the odd local who never watch Berwick and seem to think being from Berwick is enough. He may be good one day, but he's 50 now and done nothing of note as a manager at a lower level as of yet.

Archived