The Gretna 2008 Thread

gretnascotty

20 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

South I believe.

Gretna FC were are a fine club ( pre Milesons invasion ) My father, uncle and my two sons played there. In my youth i watched many many hard fought games between Annan/ Gretna in the Cumberland League. 

3 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Gretna FC were are a fine club ( pre Milesons invasion ) My father, uncle and my two sons played there. In my youth i watched many many hard fought games between Annan/ Gretna in the Cumberland League. 

I mate of mine told me they were a fine and well respected club in their Northern Leagiue days

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

I mate of mine told me they were a fine and well respected club in their Northern Leagiue days

Always until things changed ! The liquidators took some very very valuable  ( in terms of history ) photographs 

and silverware with them. Anyway it’s all about the future now. Thank you for your comment.

3 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Always until things changed ! The liquidators took some very very valuable  ( in terms of history ) photographs 

and silverware with them. Anyway it’s all about the future now. Thank you for your comment.

Sadly I only got to a game after the circus arrived wish I had went down pre SFL. Remember all the old pics in the wee bar.

15 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Sadly I only got to a game after the circus arrived wish I had went down pre SFL. Remember all the old pics in the wee bar.

There was one of my uncle with Billy Cross and Bill Shankly who I believe was a friend of owner Jimmy Kerr at the time.

Wonder what became of the chap that used to post about Gretna in the millionaire days. Really full of himself until the final weeks and like the club was never heard of again. Hundreds of posts taking on anyone and everyone that questioned what was going on and then nothing, zilch, zero.

As though he'd never posted like well, ever.

Probably watches Carlisle Utd now on his firestick.

Maybe a tiny bit of credit for Gretna going away to league leaders and only losing 2-0. From reports sounds like got off lightly.  That said, looks like an improved performance,  something to build on.

41 minutes ago, ekok said:

Maybe a tiny bit of credit for Gretna going away to league leaders and only losing 2-0. From reports sounds like got off lightly...

Maybe the trialists made a difference compared to the previous games? Early days to be writing them off as dead certs to finish last when Edinburgh Uni finished with so few points last season.

13 hours ago, ekok said:

Maybe a tiny bit of credit for Gretna going away to league leaders and only losing 2-0. From reports sounds like got off lightly.  That said, looks like an improved performance,  something to build on.

They did not look like a team that lost twenty three goals in their last three games.

The door is well and truly shut on going back to England now. Once the club moved back into Scotland they signed their membership of the English FA away for good just as the Welsh clubs did who opted for the League of Wales back in the early 1990s. 
I was a regular visitor over there during their Northern League and Northern Premier League days and as Cowdenbeath says they were a very well ran and respected club. Never heard anyone have a bad word to say about them in all the years I travelled across there. 
Always looked after you  and offered the hand of friendship. It was a totally different atmosphere the last few times I was there during the season when they won the second division in 2005/6. 

22 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Wonder what became of the chap that used to post about Gretna in the millionaire days. Really full of himself until the final weeks and like the club was never heard of again. Hundreds of posts taking on anyone and everyone that questioned what was going on and then nothing, zilch, zero.

As though he'd never posted like well, ever.

Probably watches Carlisle Utd now on his firestick.

There were plenty got caught up in it not just one. It was no fairytale just a disaster waiting to happen IMO. They wont be the last for sure. At least Gretna 2008 are honest to recognise its a new club replacing one who fucked up !!!!!!

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

There were plenty got caught up in it not just one. It was no fairytale just a disaster waiting to happen IMO. They wont be the last for sure. At least Gretna 2008 are honest to recognise its a new club replacing one who fucked up !!!!!!

Pity nobody in the Ibrox side of things seems it that way.

You're a new club.

End of.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

The worse bit for me is the knocked down the covered terrace behind the goal, best bit of the ground. Wouldn't have been so bad if they had done the ground up instead of paying silly wages.

Looking forward to our away day to gretna, honest good people who run the club who make you feel welcome. Experienced this when we played them and they were playing out of annan. Made me, my other half and little one feel more than welcome. 

Agree 100%, always made very welcome, great set up and been a credit to the League on and off the park.What happened in past put behind them, so should everyone else.

Hope they continue with recent improved performances, long long way to go for everyone in this ever improving League. 

Good win for rovers,

Gretna made it difficult in the first half even after the red card (ex Rovers player and coatbridge lad Ronan Kearney)

2nd half it really should have been much much more rovers hit the post twice and had a couple chances off target that should have been scored, 

Gretna lucky to finish with 10 men, the number 2 kicked out at the Rovers player off the ball which the referee and linesman had a discussion about but failed to identify him, also the number 12 walking a tightrope, after being yellow carded 

Fair play to the Gretna keeper who engaged with the away support with getting banter aimed at him, gave some back and was rightly applauded off the park at the end by rovers fans shaking hands with a few, football needs more of this, and certainly took to being wound up much better than some of the locals as well as the manager.

Overall verdict, Gretna were lucky it wasn't 6, 7 or even 8

Edited by Chris_the_rover

17 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Fair play to the Gretna keeper who engaged with the away support with getting banter aimed at him, gave some back and was rightly applauded off the park at the end by rovers fans shaking hands with a few, football needs more of this, and certainly took to being wound up much better than some of the locals as well as the manager.

You guys sound like utter cretins.

What did you do at the weekend?

Went down to Gretna and hurled abuse at their keeper for 90 minutes.

Oh, did you win?

Don't know, we just go to the football so we can shout obscenities' at people for 90 minutes.

Oh dear.......