Catalonia

Whitburn Vale

4 hours ago, tirso said:

Yet you take a side by saying "Catalan nonsense"

As someone with Spanish heritage I'm also annoyed by some hangers on. It applies both ways.

The fact over 40% of an entire electorate voted for something means something. I've no idea but it's probably not far off the Scottish no vote in 2014. It's beleaguered at the moment but it's not going away and needs some kind of resolution that doesn't include locking people up.

It's not over 40% - it was 38%! 

As I said I'm not interested enough to try to find out much about it but according to the Guardian newspaper report the turnout at this years Diada was around 600,000 - a seven year low - and well down on the 1.8 million that reportedly took part in 2014.

Edited by Malky3

• 5 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That's an odd thing for you to say as you frequently give the impression you view the EU as not much different from Westminster, when this is an example (a shameful one) of how limited the powers of the EU as a supranational body really are. In any case I hope their case is heard promptly by the ECHR as I can only assume they will eventually appeal to it.

Not sure I've ever said the EU is not much different to Westminster. But the point I was having a dig at is that the middle class, liberal pant-wetterati seem to think the EU is some kind of nice, warm, cozy, comfort blanket that is a bulwark against extremism. Unless, of course, it is the nationalism of a solidly pro-EU state like Spain. In which case, fck democracy and human rights. Not much sign of political pressure on Spain to stop acting like utter shop fronts.

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Shameful that Holyrood and Westminster are not screaming about this . But I suppose we can rely upon the EU guardian of justice to reign in Spain....

Don't care about the Westminster goons, but good to see the FM is not afraid to speak out for what is right:

Belgian courts will have to pronounce on the legality of the charges and proportionality of possible sentencing soon, within the context of EU extradition rules.

http://www.catalannews.com/politics/item/spain-issues-extradition-orders-for-puigdemont-and-other-exiled-catalan-politicians-after-verdict

P.S. They issued a correction, it's only Puigdemont the Spanish are after.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Like I say, you give that impression regardless of whether you've actually said those words exactly.

I suspect the dropping of rebellion charges was the political pressure. The silence from a lot of people who would be cock a hoop of this was China is deplorable.

Oh well, not too  bad then. Only 12-13 year prison sentences for for the heinous crime of organising an election. 

The real take away in all this is that in the 21st century for a supposed Democratic country and one of the main EU member states to jail the legally devolved parliament of part of the country for holding a referendum on their independence is nothing short of disgraceful / shocking / unbelievable.

It's really no different from Westminster sending in the storm troopers from London to arrest and jail the Scottish Parliament (who knows, it could come to that yet).

As mentioned, if this had been Russia or China then there'd be "outrage" in the corridors of power from London to Brussels to Washington.

Incidentally, I'm just back from a week in Catalonia and while there's not a great deal visible on the surface (still a few Estelada's kicking around) when you get talking to some, there's still real bitterness about how they've been treated by Madrid. Of course, similar to Scotland, you still have the majority who count themselves as Spanish or Spanish & Catalan as opposed to Catalan so always difficult to make sweeping statements about who wants what etc.

I did count 14 large police buses packed with Guardia Civil parked just outside Lumine Golf club when I left on Thursday, so unless they were there to watch the European Tour qualifying school then I reckon there could be a bit of trouble ahead, especially if they go in all heavy handed again..........

The real take away in all this is that in the 21st century for a supposed Democratic country and one of the main EU member states to jail the legally devolved parliament of part of the country for holding a referendum on their independence is nothing short of disgraceful / shocking / unbelievable.

It's really no different from Westminster sending in the storm troopers from London to arrest and jail the Scottish Parliament (who knows, it could come to that yet).

As mentioned, if this had been Russia or China then there'd be "outrage" in the corridors of power from London to Brussels to Washington.

Incidentally, I'm just back from a week in Catalonia and while there's not a great deal visible on the surface (still a few Estelada's kicking around) when you get talking to some, there's still real bitterness about how they've been treated by Madrid. Of course, similar to Scotland, you still have the majority who count themselves as Spanish or Spanish & Catalan as opposed to Catalan so always difficult to make sweeping statements about who wants what etc.

I did count 14 large police buses packed with Guardia Civil parked just outside Lumine Golf club when I left on Thursday, so unless they were there to watch the European Tour qualifying school then I reckon there could be a bit of trouble ahead, especially if they go in all heavy handed again..........

How did you conduct the calculations that the majority regard themselves as Spanish or Spanish/Catalan?

I’ve probably been there for 2-3 weeks on business for the last 8 years and interested to know how you came to this conclusion in just a week.

9 hours ago, G-MAN said:

How did you conduct the calculations that the majority regard themselves as Spanish or Spanish/Catalan?

I’ve probably been there for 2-3 weeks on business for the last 8 years and interested to know how you came to this conclusion in just a week.

I go there regularly and know quite a few people, however the "majority" figure is what I'm taking from the estimated figures released by both the Catalans themselves and the Spanish.

Getting away from that, is anyone else completely shocked / in disbelief at how little coverage this is getting in the UK media ??

It's not the first time of course as our News appears completely dumbed down and seems to focus on utter trivialities.

Even forgetting that this is a major incident / attack on Democracy with the court decision to jail the leading Catalan parliamentarians, you would think that the riots at Barcelona Airport may have been covered, especially when this will have a direct impact on lots of UK holiday makers and business travellers with the start of the October holidays...........