Motherwell v Aberdeen - League Cup Quarter Final

rambunctious

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DuklaWandy said:

Interesting to read that both sets of fans seem to be thinking it won't go well!  Going to head along to this.  Should be a decent game.*

*Put your money on 0-0

I can't speak for Aberdeen fans but in our case we've seen games/nights like these end badly for us on more occasions than we care to remember. With the exception of the Playoff victory over Rangers and a Scottish Cup QF replay against Dundee United in 2011, whenever we get a big, hopeful crowd inside Fir Park for a massive game with so much at stake, we always fail to turn up. Add to that Aberdeen are a good side, the second best in the country imo and they have a bit of a habit of winning Cup ties at Fir Park, which they did even when they were pretty pish before McInnes came along, so I can completely understand why Motherwell fans won't feel confident about this tie.

38 minutes ago, MJC said:

I can't speak for Aberdeen fans but in our case we've seen games/nights like these end badly for us on more occasions than we care to remember. With the exception of the Playoff victory over Rangers and a Scottish Cup QF replay against Dundee United in 2011, whenever we get a big, hopeful crowd inside Fir Park for a massive game with so much at stake, we always fail to turn up. Add to that Aberdeen are a good side, the second best in the country imo and they have a bit of a habit of winning Cup ties at Fir Park, which they did even when they were pretty pish before McInnes came along, so I can completely understand why Motherwell fans won't feel confident about this tie.

I remember so many kicks in the baws over the years in "big" games (The Dundee Utd cup replay at Fir Park  where Brian Welsh scored the only goal in front of a 13,000 crowd(!) still makes me sad 20 years later) that I can't be over confident. I see our chances tomorrow night as 50/50 which is fucking great - as last season, it would have been 80/20 against.....

57 minutes ago, MJC said:

I understand completely that perspective.  I was at the play-off game against Rangers and the atmosphere and performance were excellent, but I think fans of most teams are more than familiar with the traditional boot in the baws.  As Aberdeen fans have said, they haven't really clicked yet, so I guess they will either be brilliant, or Well have a great chance.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I remember so many kicks in the baws over the years in "big" games (The Dundee Utd cup replay at Fir Park  where Brian Welsh scored the only goal in front of a 13,000 crowd(!) still makes me sad 20 years later) that I can't be over confident. I see our chances tomorrow night as 50/50 which is fucking great - as last season, it would have been 80/20 against.....

That was a sickener right enough that one, especially as we'd done the hard bit by getting the replay in the Tannadice game.

The other two that stick in my mind are the two recent Quarter Finals against Aberdeen ironically enough. In 2012 we played them at Fir Park at a time when they hadn't beaten us for over three years. Two minutes in, they get a corner that wasn't which they score from, Higdon misses a penalty for us then they run up the field and kill of the tie. The other one was in the League Cup two seasons later and arguably this was the worst of the lot given the Semi Finals contained St.Johnstone, Inverness and a Hearts side full of kids. Aberdeen were reduced to 10 men early doors, Shaughnessy sent off, we have a goal disallowed then we huff and puff for the rest of the game but can't muster a meaningful effort on target and I doubt there would have been a Well fan in the ground who didn't see what was coming. Sure enough, 83 minutes and they score through Considine from a corner then kill it in the last minute. An absolutely infuriating, yet so, so predictable outcome.

Hope we win obviously but doesn't exactly feel there is a lot riding on it given Celtic are about 99% certain to steam roll their way to the trophy again

Would probably rather we win the league game tbh 

3 hours ago, Karl Fletcher said:

Hope we win obviously but doesn't exactly feel there is a lot riding on it given Celtic are about 99% certain to steam roll their way to the trophy again

Would probably rather we win the league game tbh 

Not sure if you are fishing - if so then got a bite!

I would disagree with that - our best chance of a trophy is in the cups and a one-off game against Celtic we have a chance which we showed in the Scottish Cup final which our long hard season caught up with us after 60 minutes. 

Looking forward today trip away and also looking forward to our supporters club going to Club 100 - always good to help out other supporters clubs! 

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

On this day in 1994 we beat Falkirk 4-1 in a league cup final. Scott Booth hat trick and a Rice og.

Which has absolutely no bearing on the game tonight but I posted it anyway because I have nothing better to do with my time.

Spot the mistake?

Archived