Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's around 2.5 units roughly in a can. 15 cans gives you 37.5 units, plus the bottle of wine is 10 units, giving a total for his three days of between 40 and 50 units of alcohol. The recommended weekly allowance for men is 14.

That was my maths. There's probably a higher allowance in Ayr though. Doctors recommend at least 80 units per week for those in KA7

5 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Throbber's claim was that he "limits himself to 15 cans of budweiser and a bottle of red wine" consumed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

There's around 2.5 units roughly in a can. 15 cans gives you 37.5 units, plus the bottle of wine is 10 units, giving a total for his three days of between 40 and 50 units of alcohol. The recommended weekly allowance for men is 14.

Shandon was quoting a post about the two days (even specifically in his post said "over 2 days").

Assuming you're correct with the units per can etc. 9 x 2.5 = 22.5, + half a bottle of red = 5 units, total 27.5 units.

Admittedly I didn't realise they'd changed male and female recommended limit to he the same down from men at 21 units, even still it's not even double, never mind 4x.

He might be a bit of a jakey b*****d, but at least he is less of a jakey b*****d than he used to be. That's at least how I justify my cycle of binging...

I had 3 pints and 3 gin and tonics on Saturday and 3 and a half pints on Sunday. The weekend before I had 9 or 10 half litre bottles of beer. Time was that the numbers above would have constituted Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night on an average week.

This weekend should be heavier. One of my brothers is over visiting and it's going to be fucking baltic so there won't be a great deal of walking about and showing off the tourist pap. Should be a couple of days of solid drinking and a Sunday of recovering because I have work on Sunday and just can't handle drinking on a school night anymore.

21 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

He also sneaked in "6 Kraft (sic) beers". 

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Shandon was quoting a post about the two days (even specifically in his post said "over 2 days").

Assuming you're correct with the units per can etc. 9 x 2.5 = 22.5, + half a bottle of red = 5 units, total 27.5 units.

Admittedly I didn't realise they'd changed male and female recommended limit to he the same down from men at 21 units, even still it's not even double, never mind 4x.

15 cans, ffs!

Not for a man with such a devil may care outlook on life as myself. I have drank 14 units of alcohol during a football game on a Tuesday/Wednesday night many a time.

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

15 cans, ffs!

Why are people struggling so much with this. Shandon was talking about two days - Saturday and Sunday - in which he said he'd drink 9 cans and half a bottle of red.

Edited by Honest_Man#1
Looking back, he actually said he drinks 3 on the Friday leaving 6 for the Saturday and Sunday which Shandon replies directly to, so it's even less than I'd thought.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I have been managing to abstain from alcohol Monday - Thursday of late and have limited myself to 15 cans of bud and a bottle of red wine to distribute throughout the weekend. Feel much better for it.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

I usually have only 3 beers on the Friday night so I’m left with 6 beers and a half bottle of red for the Saturday/Sunday so I’m only going over the limit 2 days a week and drinking responsibly on the Friday.

Three beers on the Friday. Six on Saturday, six on Sunday. Half a bottle of wine on Saturday and Sunday.

For all I started this thread, I do still have a pint now and then as it goes.

I can’t imagine not, but hopefully get to the point where I don’t. One or two don’t bother me but I never usually stop at one or two if it’s a Friday or Saturday. It usually escalates which I’m starting to get fed up of.

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I’m going to try and give up the bevy next year. I’m not sure how I’ll fare but I’ll try.

4 months off it for me now. Did the same this time last year and got back on it in a big way from New Year to July. Will try and stay off for good. Not really missed it this time. 

4 months off it for me now. Did the same this time last year and got back on it in a big way from New Year to July. Will try and stay off for good. Not really missed it this time. 

That’s good going. The longest I’ve went recently is 3 weeks. No point trying just now as the usual festive period nights out are arranged. 31st Jan will be my last night on the sauce.

1 minute ago, Finch road said:

Genuinely don' see an issue with 9 cans and a half bottle of wine. I regularly have a bottle of wine and 6-8 cans and function perfectly fine. Cant remember the last time I was properly drunk 

That sounds like a lot to be having in one sitting and claiming to be not overly affected by it. However, I won't take issue with it, nor do I with Throbber's lifestyle, as it's one I can relate to so it'd be hypocritical to critiscise someone for it.