Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

I'm pretty sure he has it over a good few hours like I myself. Over 6 hours its not exactly tearing the arse off it and you won't ever feel properly drunk. 

If you're drinking at home you don't really notice it, but staggering to the bar you would. Your girlfriend must be a saint to put up with you.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you're drinking at home you don't really notice it, but staggering to the bar you would. Your girlfriend must be a saint to put up with you.

She doesn't go about keeping tabs on how much I'm drinking  and has her own life to worry about so its not really that much of an issue. I don't really disgrace myself when drunk nowadays either so we hardly ever fall out over it. She's out tonight and I'm not drinking. 

9 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The girlfriend is almost certainly completely fictional.

No she's not, I would have to be a bit of an oddball to go and make something like that up.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This thread is like a jakey-filled Hemingway novel. People consuming quantities of alcohol in four hours that would blind an elephant and suffering no ill-effects. What a load of shite.

I'm not saying i suffer no ill-effects from it, if i were to do my usual Sunday of a half bottle of wine and 6+ beers I won't be steaming drunk on the Sunday but I will still feel pretty rough on the Monday morning. Have never missed work through my drinking though.

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This thread is like a jakey-filled Hemingway novel. People consuming quantities of alcohol in four hours that would blind an elephant and suffering no ill-effects. What a load of shite.

^^^^ Lightweight.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Reading Hem, he seems to have got through mad quantities of booze. Made me think maybe wine was less alcoholic back then. That, or he was lying, or he was some sort of superman.

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

^^^Is anyone's after a Kopperberg 

1 minute ago, Duszek said:

Reading Hem, he seems to have got through mad quantities of booze. Made me think maybe wine was less alcoholic back then. That, or he was lying, or he was some sort of superman.

I worked with a guy (very big guy) who polished off at least a litre of spirits a night and was the best worker ive ever had. 

I worked with a guy who was late 30’s at the time who’s life was totally ruined by alcohol from an early age who went on a mad binge for a few weeks and was consuming 3 bottles of vodka a day at his worst. He ended up finding religion and gave up alcohol for about 8 years before dying of cancer at 46. It properly gets a hold of some people to the point they can’t function without it.

I worked with a guy who was late 30’s at the time who’s life was totally ruined by alcohol from an early age who went on a mad binge for a few weeks and was consuming 3 bottles of vodka a day at his worst. He ended up finding religion and gave up alcohol for about 8 years before dying of cancer at 46. It properly gets a hold of some people to the point they can’t function without it.

No you didn't.

Throbber just confessed to me by private message that he's a single, friendless, loner who, at the age of 32 has yet to experience the caress of a woman, other than his gran. I feel sorry for the wee soul.

I hate you Pete.