Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

I work with a man who on an afternoon sesh can put away 20 pints of beer, he unfortunately came to a sticky end when a Guinness promotion was on. Having to phone your wife to pick you up, asking her to bring bin liners for the car seats was a tad embarrassing 

No sure if folk are just winding poor throbber up here but I don’t think half a bottle of wine and 6 beers is very much. Last Friday night I had 5 pints then done a 5k on Saturday morning, no issue.

10 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

No sure if folk are just winding poor throbber up here but I don’t think half a bottle of wine and 6 beers is very much. Last Friday night I had 5 pints then done a 5k on Saturday morning, no issue.

It is a lot to drink. I don't deny that its over doing it. 

27 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Lying? Surely not.

I'm inclined to agree, hence why I wondered if wine's alcohol content was less in those days. His contemporary Blaise Cendrars tells similar yarns of driving around France, necking wine by the litre. 

It is a lot to drink. I don't deny that its over doing it. 

I don’t really think it is. Could easily go through that on a Saturday without really noticing. Say, 4 pints through the afternoon, couple glasses of wine with some food, then a couple of pints after? I realise it’s over the recommended amount but I’d have that without thinking I’d overdone it...

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I don’t really think it is. Could easily go through that on a Saturday without really noticing. Say, 4 pints through the afternoon, couple glasses of wine with some food, then a couple of pints after? I realise it’s over the recommended amount but I’d have that without thinking I’d overdone it...

I totally agree with you and i drink that much all the time, what others are saying is also true though and it is too much to be drinking on a regular basis. 

I'm going to the football tomorrow and will probably have about 15 drinks throughout the day but when you break it down it really isn't that much of a piss up. Will have a beer before the train at 11, then maybe 2 beers on way to Glasgow, then 2 hours in pub so will probably go through 4 beers at that time ( 2 pints per half hour is fairly moderate), 2 hours of sobering up at the game and then maybe 2 beers before the train and about 2 for the train followed by another 4 pack and a bit of wine when i get back home at about 7 pm. Its not like you are talking about an obscenely heavy binge when you think of it like that but you are going through a fair amount of booze.

I totally agree with you and i drink that much all the time, what others are saying is also true though and it is too much to be drinking on a regular basis. 
I'm going to the football tomorrow and will probably have about 15 drinks throughout the day but when you break it down it really isn't that much of a piss up. Will have a beer before the train at 11, then maybe 2 beers on way to Glasgow, then 2 hours in pub so will probably go through 4 beers at that time ( 2 pints per half hour is fairly moderate), 2 hours of sobering up at the game and then maybe 2 beers before the train and about 2 for the train followed by another 4 pack and a bit of wine when i get back home at about 7 pm. Its not like you are talking about an obscenely heavy binge when you think of it like that but you are going through a fair amount of booze.

Aye, true. It is too much but it’s easily done. I’m going out for pints tomorrow evening, hoping to not have more than 10 (probably across 5-7 hours) but as you say, while it doesn’t feel a lot it is a fair amount.

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

Surely if you're in the pub for 2 hours, drinking at this moderate pace of 2 pints per half hour, that'll mean you have 8 pints in the pub.

You can't even keep track of your alcohol consumption when it's fictional.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Surely if you're in the pub for 2 hours, drinking at this moderate pace of 2 pints per half hour, that'll mean you have 8 pints in the pub.

You can't even keep track of your alcohol consumption when it's fictional.

That was a typo. 

I'm inclined to agree, hence why I wondered if wine's alcohol content was less in those days. His contemporary Blaise Cendrars tells similar yarns of driving around France, necking wine by the litre. 

Aye wine used to be about 10%abv in those days
Oh and none of my comments were meant to be boastful more regretful and embarrassed

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The childish boasting on here is hilarious.

f**k off you tedious square. Hope your latest crossword has you pulling yoir last grey strand out. What an annoying waste of space. I bet your wife and workmates fucking hate you.

Ps. So do I 

6 minutes ago, Finch road said:

f**k off you tedious square. Hope your latest crossword has you pulling yoir last grey strand out. What an annoying waste of space. I bet your wife and workmates fucking hate you.

Ps. So do I 

:lol:

I'm actually a much loved figure.

Never a crossword in my house or workplace.

:lol:
I'm actually a much loved figure.
Never a crossword in my house or workplace.

None of the drinkers on here are boasting about consuming a great deal of booze here, we are just stating how much we go through. It is nothing to be proud of and I have no interest in trying to impress people about alcohol consumption.

None of the drinkers on here are boasting about consuming a great deal of booze here, we are just stating how much we go through. It is nothing to be proud of and I have no interest in trying to impress people about alcohol consumption.

Pretty much this. Consuming 20 plus units for a midweek buzz is pretty shite

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Some definitely are.

I like a drink myself and often think that if I had more leisure, it would be very easy to lapse into drinking more than is  a good idea.  I also know that I drink much less now than I did when I was younger.

It's not so much the quantities that are striking here, as the determination to say that such volumes don't make the consumer drunk.  I've not heard such copious fibbing on the subject since I was about seventeen.