Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

23 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

FTFY

I don't think that's right. There will be people seething if the SFA postpone the decision for a month or two, or if they stay at Hampden but it won't be redeveloped. People are idiots. They want other people to spend money they don't have on a stadium they don't need or want (i.e. "why can't we build a massive stadium near Stirling???" type nonsense).

Edinburgh is much easier to get to and quicker for east coasters. As a Perth man, here’s how each journey shapes up:

Glasgow

1 hr train to Queen Street
Walk to central station
Train to Mount Florida
Walk to Hampden

Edinburgh

1 hr 10 minute Train to Haymarket
Walk/Tram to Murrayfield

Edinburgh is the winner

So keep Hampden and also rent Murrayfield, Parkhead and Ibrox, aye that will fill the SFA coffers!
Can we also put to bed this nonsense of moving games "around the country", Gibraltar 34,000, Malta 26,000. Other than Glasgow and Murrayfield, where do you play them?

I would rather pack out one of the smaller grounds than have a cavernous atmosphere in Hampden, even if it means people miss out on tickets. Games against the likes of Malta are unappealing - imagine selling out Tynecastle for the same game. You would turn a game with little atmosphere into a cauldron of noise.

I would rather pack out one of the smaller grounds than have a cavernous atmosphere in Hampden, even if it means people miss out on tickets. Games against the likes of Malta are unappealing - imagine selling out Tynecastle for the same game. You would turn a game with little atmosphere into a cauldron of noise.
So you lock out 6,000 Scotland fans and the SFA lose revenue via ticket sales and have to pay for rent. Top plan bud.

52 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Edinburgh is much easier to get to and quicker for east coasters. As a Perth man, here’s how each journey shapes up:

Glasgow

1 hr train to Queen Street
Walk to central station
Train to Mount Florida
Walk to Hampden

Edinburgh

1 hr 10 minute Train to Haymarket
Walk/Tram to Murrayfield

Edinburgh is the winner

14 minutes ago, Jason King said:

It has to be said that East Coasters who don't seem to know that Hampden is easily walkable from the centre of Glasgow is eye-opening.  

Yeah, in the quoted example, by the time youv'e got off at Queen Street, walked to central, queued up, gotten the train, and then walked to Hampden, you could have probably just walked from Queen Street and got there anyway.  Still probably a slightly longer journey end-to-end as the Haymarket example, but it's not the massive difference being made out.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Can't believe some of these posts when you consider the two grounds are only 45 miles apart (same distance as my house to Glebe Park for regular season games).  I used to commute more than that daily, never mind the 3+ hour trains to Hampden for what are rather infrequent games.  If people are suggesting that we should stay at a hole of a ground rather than a superior one all because a group of Weegies can't be bothered with an extra hour travel (if that) now and again, then God help us.

For a couple of previous points:

i) Aberdeen doesn't have anywhere suitable for a 30k stadium in the city, otherwise they'd have built the 20k one here.  I agree with binning the national tour idea though seeing as even the smaller competitive would easily fill them.  Smaller friendlies, absolutely, but that's the status quo really.   

ii) From Aberdeen / Dundee, it 'only' takes an extra 20 mins to get to Glasgow than it does to Edinburgh.  That's not taking intra-city transport into consideration though, for which you'd need to add on more for Glasgow.  Overall, it would be a minor change for the northern contingent on the travel front so there's not too much of an "Edinburgh is much easier" argument from us.

As an Ayrshire boy I can tell you that I would be unable to get home after a midweek game at Murrayfield as last bus and train from Glasgow to Ayrshire is before 11.15pm for us. I've no idea the situation in Fife / Lothian etc but that's a fact from our end of things, so no more Scotland matches for me.

I'd also point out that Edinburgh already has the Rugby national stadium, the Parliament building the Edinburgh Festival, the Fringe, most of the flights leaving Scotland and of course the Tram debacle.

Can you not at least leave us with SOMETHING in the West ????

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As an Ayrshire boy I can tell you that I would be unable to get home after a midweek game at Murrayfield as last bus and train from Glasgow to Ayrshire is before 11.15pm for us. I've no idea the situation in Fife / Lothian etc but that's a fact from our end of things, so no more Scotland matches for me.

I'd also point out that Edinburgh already has the Rugby national stadium, the Parliament building the Edinburgh Festival, the Fringe, most of the flights leaving Scotland and of course the Tram debacle.

Well you do have Trident.......

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Too right. as soon as Scotland gets independence I'm starting the Dalriada National Party. Those Northumbrians get everything.

I've been reading though multiple threads on multiple forums regarding this and a couple of things keep coming up bar the whole East coast/West coast chat. They generally are, Renovate Hampden etc... sort out the goal ends or knock it down and start again, or build a new stadium in the Central belt somewhere.

It strikes me just how little people understand about the situation here, the SFA have NO MONEY to be able to renovate Hampden park to the standard that would deem it suitable. Ergo there is no money to knock it down and start again, be that on the same site or elsewhere in the country.

Which leads us to the situation we find ourselves in today, Move to Murrayfield or stick with the status quo. It's that simple.

For me it's Murrayfield, never liked Hampden on occasions I've been and I have no emotional ties to it whatsoever having only really experienced semi-final misery over the years at a club level.

Edited by SaintDougie

4 minutes ago, SaintDougie said:

I've been reading though multiple threads on multiple forums regarding this and a couple of things keep coming up bar the whole East coast/West coast chat. They generally are, Renovate Hampden etc... sort out the goal ends or knock it down and start again, or build a new stadium in the Central belt somewhere.

It strikes me just how little people understand about the situation here, the SFA have NO MONEY to be able to renovate Hampden park to the standard that would deem it suitable. Ergo there is no money to knock it down and start again, be that on the same site or elsewhere in the country.

Which leads us to the situation we find ourselves in today, Move to Murrayfield or stick with the status quo. It's that simple.

As has also been mentioned, how does every other nation and of course the other home nations especially, manage to get funding for new state of the art purpose built stadiums ? 

For me it's Murrayfield, never liked Hampden on occasions I've been and I have no emotional ties to it whatsoever having only really experienced semi-final misery over the years at a club level.
You raise money.

Where are Aberdeen getting £50m from to build New Pittodrie?

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As has also been mentioned, how does every other nation and of course the other home nations especially, manage to get funding for new state of the art purpose built stadiums ? 

To me that's entirely got to do with who is and has been in charge at the SFA, this still doesn't change the fact that they have no money to carry out any of these suggestions.