Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Completed the Double last season with a 9-0 defeat of St mirren in the Scottish cup final and walked the league by 15 odd points. 

Didnt need to tweak the side much but extended Cutrones loan, brought in Kasey Palmer (beast), Tammy Abraham, Josh Onamah and Angus Gunn on season long loans. Signed Justin Kluivert for £14.5 million and brought in Zuniga on a free. 

Got rid of Scott Brown and Craig Gordon and the squad didn't kick off which was surprising. Also managed to offload Ciftci, Allan, Christie for combined £3.5 million for the 5 players. 

Started the season like  a train with 19/19 in all comps. 8 wins in the league, 10 wins in the champs league including a 1-0 away win at Napoli on match day one and a comfy win against Basel at home. Dortmund at home next.  Changed practically the whole 11 for a trip to Falkirk in the league cup and scraped through 2-1.  

Dunfermline walked the championship last season and have come up all guns blazing. Won their first 5 but have then slipped up with 2 defeats and a draw. Aberdeen and Rangers are so inconsistent drawing every second game so they are pretty much out the title race already.  The play off final was won by Ict 3-2 on agg with Islam Feruz scoring in the 93rd min in A highland derby winner took all after a 2-2 draw in the first leg. 

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Academy game has hit a bit of a bumpy road in recent games with injuries starting to stack up.  My top scorer Paul Esslemont has been out for about a month and is not due back for a few weeks plus my Ball Winning midfield general is out for a couple of months and my top Centreback and Right midfielder are all out for over a month meaning that form has been rocky of late.  Last two league games were both draws, 2-2 at Cumbernauld Colds after one of my injury replacements conceded a daft penalty with 10 minutes to go and a 3-3 draw at home against East Stirlingshire, coming back from 3-0 down at half time after some good substitutions.  That week was capped with a 3-0 Scottish Cup fifth round loss at St. Johnstone after I had managed a cupset in the 4th round against Alloa.  Still leading the lowland league but East Kilbride, Spartans, and Civil Service Strollers are closing the gap

28 minutes ago, The Ginger Prince said:

I done an LA Galaxy save on last years game and thoroughly enjoyed it tbh.

I was getting bored of FM tbh so thought I would try something different. I did not know a great deal about the rules so it took some getting used to, but the rules encourage you to pick your squad and choose transfers and contracts carefully whereas on previous saves I would make signings I probably didn't need.

My Academy game has hit a bit of a bumpy road in recent games with injuries starting to stack up.  My top scorer Paul Esslemont has been out for about a month and is not due back for a few weeks plus my Ball Winning midfield general is out for a couple of months and my top Centreback and Right midfielder are all out for over a month meaning that form has been rocky of late.  Last two league games were both draws, 2-2 at Cumbernauld Colds after one of my injury replacements conceded a daft penalty with 10 minutes to go and a 3-3 draw at home against East Stirlingshire, coming back from 3-0 down at half time after some good substitutions.  That week was capped with a 3-0 Scottish Cup fifth round loss at St. Johnstone after I had managed a cupset in the 4th round against Alloa.  Still leading the lowland league but East Kilbride, Spartans, and Civil Service Strollers are closing the gap

Massive props for the use of the word "cupset"

I done an LA Galaxy save on last years game and thoroughly enjoyed it tbh.

I've always wondered about MLS but the rules always put me off. How is it a few years in once regens start coming through?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Massive props for the use of the word "cupset"

Thanks!  It's a good Football word!

Meanwhile I am closing in on the Lowland league title, a nervy 2-1 win at Spartans has left me 9 points clear of second placed East Kilbride with 6 games to go.  Will need to navigate the next few games without 3 of my 4 first choice midfielders as my creative spark in the centre of the park has joined my ball-winner on the sidelines for a month.  

I've always wondered about MLS but the rules always put me off. How is it a few years in once regens start coming through?

Tbh I think I only done 1 maybe 2 seasons. It’s quite complicated to fully understand everything so I just went along with it and picked up small bits here and there.

6 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Anyone else constantly drawing games? Ive changed formations and tactics and yet I still draw the vast majority of my games.

12 league games played- 3 wins, 1 defeat and 8 draws with Leeds :lol:

Not so much draws but late goals and late penalties seem too common!  Maybe I just need to get better at managing defenders

Not so much draws but late goals and late penalties seem too common!  Maybe I just need to get better at managing defenders

Aye late goals are ridiculous this year.

On a brighter note, I think I've broke my drawing hoodoo. 2 wins on the trot [emoji41]

First dropped points in the league have just happened on matchday 19. 2-0 up away to Dunfermline @ half time and ended up losing 4-3. Won my champions league group and won the league cup. Main objective was to go the season unbeaten so a bit disappointed but I'm 17 points clear with a game in hand so can't be too upset about it. 

So I was able to win the lowland league and then cruise through the playoffs, beating Formartine 8-0 on aggregate and then crushing Albion Rovers 13-5 on aggregate to get promotion to the SPFL, using the in-game editor to boost youth recruitment of a lower league club has it's benefits!  The downside is that teams higher up the pyramid and in England are circling around my best players so I may have to do an almost complete rebuild.  Apparantly my 16 year old midfield orchestrator is on the radar of Man United, it's the only reason why Mourinho would show up at a Lowland League game in East Kilbride

Bout 15 games in to the league, sitting 3rd to Rangers and celtic, Hamilton 4th and are really good. Knocked out of league cup by aberdeen in semi finals. Last min pen.

Signed Mark Russell from Morton who's been performing well, Bell from Celtic for development and Scott Mctominay on a free wage loan. Tried to get Morgan from St Mirren but compensation way too much

Aye, Hamilton are the over rated team in this year's edition it seems, them and Dunfermline. One day we'll have a Scottish set up which is vaguely true to life

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, Hamilton are the over rated team in this year's edition it seems, them and Dunfermline. One day we'll have a Scottish set up which is vaguely true to life

I would also say Rangers are very overrated given the shitshow that they are in real life.  In my 3 running games based in Scotland (including one where I manage the club) they stay relatively competitive with Celtic for the title.  

Decided I wanted to spend money and cheat a bit by starting a Liverpool save and boosting the bank balance a bit.  Was able to drop over 200 million quid on 3 players, Virgil Van Dijk (66M), Aymeric Laporte (58M), and Jan Oblak (89M).  So far I have kept clean sheets in my first three competitive games (2-0 wins in the EPL against West Ham and Stoke as well as a 1-0 against Nice in the Champions League playoff.  Despite all the firepower my highest rated player so far has been.....

Andy Robertson with an 8.00 average rating over 3 games.

Enjoying this a lot compared to the last few years, but I'm wishing I waited until after my exams to get into a save :lol:

Going well with Spartans, finished bottom of my Betfred Cup group though, only lost against Ayr and went to penalties against ICT, Killie and Edinburgh City. Halfway through November and sitting 3rd. Went through the game so far not noticing many late goals until I read people on here mentioning it - step up Cove Rangers. Scottish Cup game, 1-0 up going into the last few minutes, concede a 88th minute equaliser, throw everyone forward and get a 95th minute winner, utter scenes everywhere. 3rd in the league, 1 point off top 

Pretty much all of my players are on around £30 a week, with a couple as high as £100, along comes Ally Love who sets up 2 and scores 1 as a trialist, hoping to get him signed up, but the p***k wants £700 a week :lol: Good young squad with a few older guys (28, 30, 30 the only players I have over 23), hopefully get some good money for a few of them down the line, board are improving the youth recruitment too so should set me up nicely. Already got a few players coming from Queens Park in January, with a few on their way out as well.

25 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Decided I wanted to spend money and cheat a bit by starting a Liverpool save and boosting the bank balance a bit.  Was able to drop over 200 million quid on 3 players, Virgil Van Dijk (66M), Aymeric Laporte (58M), and Jan Oblak (89M).  So far I have kept clean sheets in my first three competitive games (2-0 wins in the EPL against West Ham and Stoke as well as a 1-0 against Nice in the Champions League playoff.  Despite all the firepower my highest rated player so far has been.....

Andy Robertson with an 8.00 average rating over 3 games.

I've played a few Liverpool saves over the last few years. Signing a decent keeper and at least one decent centre half pretty much guarantees turning a mid table side into title challengers.

Im sure theres a real life lesson in there somewhere

Archived