Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

The amount of injuries in the FM touch version is a joke.

Managed to nail Morgan down to a new 2 year deal, 1.8M release clause but nobody has matched it yet. Won the title in the first season and Dumbarton won the playoffs to join us in the top league :o.

Managed to get 500k from Aston Villa for Magennis, helped with the bank balance, was nearly 300k in debt even though I spent f**k all and nearly every single one of my loan signings cost me nowt in wages.

Anyone else have a really long wait to hear what your Brexit will look like?  I got the original message that the UK was leaving the EU in late September 2019, an updated message saying it may involve a foreign player limit at the end of October but it's now Christmas and there are no more updates.  I want to know what Brexit will look like so I can plan my January transfer window with that in mind!

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Anyone else have a really long wait to hear what your Brexit will look like?  I got the original message that the UK was leaving the EU in late September 2019, an updated message saying it may involve a foreign player limit at the end of October but it's now Christmas and there are no more updates.  I want to know what Brexit will look like so I can plan my January transfer window with that in mind!

Brexit caused havoc in my old 2017 saves. Got lucky in my main StMirren save, Scotland and Gibraltar both voted to leave the UK and stayed in the EU so transfers weren't effected.

You'll find trying to sign any sort of European player that isn't a regular for their country, it's an absolute nightmare because of work permit issues. Basically ruins the game. Especially if you are a smaller club, you won't be able to afford big name players. 

So here is the state of play in New Years Day 2020.  I still don't know what Brexit will bring me and the Mancester Clubs are circling around some of my top Scottish players like Ryan Christie, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Anthony Ralston, John McGinn and John Souttar so I hope the Brexit situation at least provides me answers so I can plan for the future.  If it's a hard Brexit I'll need to fight for my British players but a softer brexit means I can seek out European replacements. 

image.png.1e7f694f4449eb0732ef46dff4f248f7.png

13 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

So here is the state of play in New Years Day 2020.  I still don't know what Brexit will bring me and the Mancester Clubs are circling around some of my top Scottish players like Ryan Christie, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Anthony Ralston, John McGinn and John Souttar so I hope the Brexit situation at least provides me answers so I can plan for the future.  If it's a hard Brexit I'll need to fight for my British players but a softer brexit means I can seek out European replacements. 

image.png.1e7f694f4449eb0732ef46dff4f248f7.png

With the amount you will likely be spending on your targets and or the level they play at even a hard brexit you will be fine. My squad currently consists of 1 Argentinian, 1 Belgian, 5 Brazilians, 1 Burkinabe, 1 Chilean, 4 Englishmen,  1 Frenchman, 1 Greek, 1 Dutchman, 3 Mexicans, 1 Moroccan and 6 Scottish players. 

I'm having quite an easy time of things this season, partly due to me shoring up the defence which saw us win to nil 9 times out our first 13 league games but have chucked a few in now. I have taken 58 points from a possible 60 in the league. Rangers beat me in the betfred cup final and I'm out the champions league so that wasn't ideal but I played a weakened team  most games in the betfred and got shafted against Ac Milan at home. Bombarded them for 85 mins and drawing 1-1. Lost the away leg 2-1 and matched all other results.  A very good Lyon side topped the group.  There are some nice signings available in a few days on pre contracts so hoping to get a few of those signed up. 

Edited by Broony88

Brexit caused havoc in my old 2017 saves. Got lucky in my main StMirren save, Scotland and Gibraltar both voted to leave the UK and stayed in the EU so transfers weren't effected.
You'll find trying to sign any sort of European player that isn't a regular for their country, it's an absolute nightmare because of work permit issues. Basically ruins the game. Especially if you are a smaller club, you won't be able to afford big name players. 

If Scotland vote to leave the UK, does the national under-23 team get entered into Olympic qualifiers?

1 hour ago, Broony88 said:

With the amount you will likely be spending on your targets and or the level they play at even a hard brexit you will be fine. My squad currently consists of 1 Argentinian, 1 Belgian, 5 Brazilians, 1 Burkinabe, 1 Chilean, 4 Englishmen,  1 Frenchman, 1 Greek, 1 Dutchman, 3 Mexicans, 1 Moroccan and 6 Scottish players. 

I'm having quite an easy time of things this season, partly due to me shoring up the defence which saw us win to nil 9 times out our first 13 league games but have chucked a few in now. I have taken 58 points from a possible 60 in the league. Rangers beat me in the betfred cup final and I'm out the champions league so that wasn't ideal but I played a weekend team most games in the betfred and got shafted against Ac Milan at home. Bombarded them for 85 mins and drawing 1-1. Lost the away leg 2-1 and matched all other results.  A very good Lyon side topped the group.  There are some nice signings available in a few days on pre contracts so hoping to get a few of those signed up. 

I've been able to pick up some top class defenders from the EPL and Serie A for relatively cheap because they were just on the fringes of top clubs in those leagues.  My most recent acquisition was Andy Robertson from Liverpool to compete with and provide cover for Mattia De Sciglio who often picks up little knocks and my next best Left Back is Greg Taylor who has been poor every time I've given him an opportunity this season.  Also Anthony Ralston has really developed into a class Right Back for me as has John Souttar in the centre of the park.  I had picked up Andrea Conti from AC Milan as my first choice RB to replace the Omar Elabdellaoui who had his release clause triggered by West Ham but Ralston has cemented the first choice spot at RB.  My only defender I don't know what to do with is Simunovic who is now fourth choice at CB.   He's grumpy about lack of game time but I need depth at CB with my first choice pairing being Phil Jones and Chris Smalling who are a bit brittle. 

Looking at my first team nationalities I think I am Brexit ready 

17 Scottish

3 English

2 Italian

1 South African

1 Swede

1 Belgian

1 Bosnian

1 Argentine

Also, for your info, Broony is heading off to Toronto in MLS.  He had a lot of bad injuries and has slowed down a lot.  

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

I've been able to pick up some top class defenders from the EPL and Serie A for relatively cheap because they were just on the fringes of top clubs in those leagues.  My most recent acquisition was Andy Robertson from Liverpool to compete with and provide cover for Mattia De Sciglio who often picks up little knocks and my next best Left Back is Greg Taylor who has been poor every time I've given him an opportunity this season.  Also Anthony Ralston has really developed into a class Right Back for me as has John Souttar in the centre of the park.  I had picked up Andrea Conti from AC Milan as my first choice RB to replace the Omar Elabdellaoui who had his release clause triggered by West Ham but Ralston has cemented the first choice spot at RB.  My only defender I don't know what to do with is Simunovic who is now fourth choice at CB.   He's grumpy about lack of game time but I need depth at CB with my first choice pairing being Phil Jones and Chris Smalling who are a bit brittle. 

Looking at my first team nationalities I think I am Brexit ready 

17 Scottish

3 English

2 Italian

1 South African

1 Swede

1 Belgian

1 Bosnian

1 Argentine

Also, for your info, Broony is heading off to Toronto in MLS.  He had a lot of bad injuries and has slowed down a lot.  

Lacking severely in silky South American players imo. I have come across an Argentinian centre back from Boca. He was worth £5 million but had a £6.5 million release clause. Aged 20 and had 44 u20 caps and has now been capped 3 times by the full team. Seville and Ac Milan are sniffing around but no offers in January. 

Lukaku has reluctantly been sold, 45 appearances 44 goals 17 assists. Arsenal offered £22 million in the summer which I turned down as he was so good. But my other strikers are good enough to get me by and I couldn't turn down £14 million upfront with add ons for a player who is 33 in 4 and a bit months. 

Edited by Broony88

16 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Lacking severely in silky South American players imo. I have come across an Argentinian centre back from Boca. He was worth £5 million but had a £6.5 million release clause. Aged 20 and had 44 u20 caps and has now been capped 3 times by the full team. Seville and Ac Milan are sniffing around but no offers in January. 

Lukaku has reluctantly been sold, 45 appearances 44 goals 17 assists. Arsenal offered £22 million in the summer which I turned down as he was so good. But my other strikers are good enough to get me by and I couldn't turn down £14 million upfront with add ons for a player who is 33 in 4 and a bit months. 

Who needs silky South Americans when you have John McGinn?

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Who needs silky South Americans when you have John McGinn?

Yeah he is massively overrated from the start of the game. 

I think I have noticed a glitch, seen it twice in a short space of time. I was tracking Domenico Berardi who was still with Sassuolo. Then next time I check he has signed for Marseille for £8 million in January but I can still sign him on a pre contract. The same has happened with jean kevin Augustin. 

Won't complain as I was able to get berardi but augustin wants to play at a higher level. Also have managed to sign a 34 year old Casemiro on £60,000 a week. This guy still looks absolute dynamite. 

Edited by Broony88

12 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Yeah he is massively overrated from the start of the game. 

I think I have noticed a glitch, seen it twice in a short space of time. I was tracking Domenico Berardi who was still with Sassuolo. Then next time I check he has signed for Marseille for £8 million in January but I can still sign him on a pre contract. The same has happened with jean kevin Augustin. 

Won't complain as I was able to get berardi but augustin wants to play at a higher level. Also have managed to sign a 34 year old Casemiro on £60,000 a week. This guy still looks absolute dynamite. 

I`m not complaining though!  McGinn has bagged 12 goals from midfield for me already this year (none of them penalties).  Update I still don't know what Brexit will mean but I was able to keep my top players despite getting offers from teams like Borussia Dortmund and Juventus for players like Ryan Christie and John Souttar.  Meanwhile I was able to flip Andrea Conti back to Italy for a profit after only 6 months with me, I bought him for 8M from AC Milan and sold him to Juventus for 12M plus add-ons that could rise to 14.5M.  Not a bad profit for half a season!

Got the Betfred Cup 2nd Round draw coming up... the group stage hasn't even finished yet. I'm quite excited to see the clusterfuck when every group still has at least 1 game to play with loads of teams (including me) not knowing if they're through yet.

Bit of an anti-climax, draw just never happened, weird it was scheduled for that day in the first place. Also managed to finish top of the group anyway thanks to Ayr winning against Kilmarnock. Got a home tie against Celtic to look forward to.

Haven't lost a game as Raith in 90 minutes yet, lost to Kilmarnock on penalties but I'm doing the Celtic method of selectively choosing which games make me invincible. Signed 15 players over the summer but still might look for a couple more, got a good solid squad but could do with some extra depth in defence and the wings.

Edited by LiviLion

Right, we stopped them... but they played a youth striker, who got injured and was replaced by another youth striker (the one I just sold them). He then got injured and Scott Sinclair ended up playing up front. Feels like this one didn't really count because there was no Dembele or Griffiths.

image.thumb.png.05f0d83498128733e10cb832a0056326.png

Absolutely gutted.  I was 5 minutes away from knocking Man City out of the Champions League on away goals when Gabriel Jesus strikes to put them 3-2 up on the night and 4-3 on aggregate.  I immediately make my final sub, bringing on Ryan Christie for Chris Smalling and changed from a 5-4-1 to a 4-2-3-1 and go forward but Jesus deliveres the dagger in stoppage time

image.thumb.png.aa3715e34f873642e507aa609480c2eb.png

Getting offered all sorts of Premier League jobs right now. I really don't see how we can beat Celtic with the team they have, but I'm gonna stick at it. Looking to sell a lot of players and let some run out their contract. Need to make sure I can meet the Champions League requirements as well.