Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

At the very least there should be a reelection system and something similar to the SFL's old East Stirling rule so they can be replaced by another licensed club like Banks o Dee or Golspie Sutherland. Fort William in the HL hasn't worked and there is no prospect of it ever working.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

At the very least there should be a reelection system and something similar to the SFL's old East Stirling rule so they can be replaced by another licensed club like Banks o Dee or Golspie Sutherland. Fort William in the HL hasn't worked and there is no prospect of it ever working.

Don't mention Banks o' Dee in front of the HL boys.

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

They are actively damaging a league that many 100s of other guid fitba men  are giving up their time for.  Whether through stupidity, blind optimism or the ego boost of being part of  a league they can't sustain being in they deserve no-ones best wishes or sympathy

What is actively damaging the league is their refusal so far to properly join the pyramid & allow relegation. Once that happens, FW will drop down to the level that is appropriate for them, whatever that might be, while other clubs that "should" be in the HL, will end up there.

The SJFA appear to be serious about pyramid entry given there were only two votes against at their AGM, so it's only a matter of time until this all gets sorted out even if the north region juniors are very much an afterthought in all of this.  The status quo was only sustainable if the junior grade kept doing their own thing in a traditional sort of way. Kelty Hearts broke the logjam on that.

26 minutes ago, Marten said:

What is actively damaging the league is their refusal so far to properly join the pyramid & allow relegation. Once that happens, FW will drop down to the level that is appropriate for them, whatever that might be, while other clubs that "should" be in the HL, will end up there.

The Highland League is part of the pyramid champ. They don't have an obligation to seek out other leagues to send clubs down to.

36 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The Highland League is part of the pyramid champ. They don't have an obligation to seek out other leagues to send clubs down to.

They haven't exactly been welcoming to the idea of relegation from their league in recent years. Hopefully that's changing now, but until then, you can't blame FW for being in that league.

Fort have a trialist today who's scored 2 against Formartine, currently 2-5 down. Things could be on the up. Somebody said they could be getting a few more in when the Shinty season's over.

P.S. Ryan Henderson for Fort somehow managed to collect 2 red cards, the second for mouthing off at the ref while walking off after the first one. :lol:

FT 2-8. 

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, Marten said:

They haven't exactly been welcoming to the idea of relegation from their league in recent years. Hopefully that's changing now, but until then, you can't blame FW for being in that league.

They actually made the choice in the summer between applying to join the NCL or staying in the HL. 

7 hours ago, Marten said:

As I said they aren't under any obligation to seek a league to relegate into. The ball is in the NCL clubs court, I'd they wanted in the pyramid they would be in.

As for FW they decided to do so instead of applying for the NCL so yes I do blame them 50% and HL 50% for allowing them.

I said further up they should consider the Skye and Lochalsh league. Mallaig beat Portree 35-0 today so I'm sure they could give it a good go.

They are actively damaging a league that many 100s of other guid fitba men  are giving up their time for.  Whether through stupidity, blind optimism or the ego boost of being part of  a league they can't sustain being in they deserve no-ones best wishes or sympathy
Actively damaging...stupidity...ego boost....they deserve no-ones best wishes or sympathy...

Reign yourself in. You're losing perspective.

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

As I said they aren't under any obligation to seek a league to relegate into. The ball is in the NCL clubs court, I'd they wanted in the pyramid they would be in.

As for FW they decided to do so instead of applying for the NCL so yes I do blame them 50% and HL 50% for allowing them.

I said further up they should consider the Skye and Lochalsh league. Mallaig beat Portree 35-0 today so I'm sure they could give it a good go.

The NCL is an amateur league with a limited NW geographical scope that can only function outwith the summer leagues - the most logical integration will come with the North and Tayside Juniors. Whether that's this summer, next or whatever, who knows. But I seem to recall points of view being spoken by Highland associates that they saw the pyramid being a progressive one with HFL being the point from which to progress (i.e. no interest in a lower division feeding in). I know they have an peculiarly un-Scottish love (in terms of club perspective) of a big division of clubs playing everyone twice but the gulf in standard makes a mockery of it. I'm not saying 10 is the way to go but they can feasibly go to 14 or 16 and see the overall standard increase from where it is just now. Fort and Strathspey for starters bring nothing to the table year in, year out.

The SFA's shoulder-shrugging approach to the pyramid's formation (arguably because Regan knew the square of... about the various set-ups) wasn't just neglegent in the now Lowlands catchment - they should never have allowed Highland to become *the* division feeding up to Level 4. The original plan was for Division 4 North and South with 10 clubs in each. Highland refused to take this on board and for some reason were allowed to have their cake and eat it. The self-serving nature of these clubs was clear from the day North Premier champions Banks o' Dee were refused entry in favour of two lower division sides (Strathspey and Formartine) and a side who dodged relegation out of their league on goal difference (Turriff). Strathspey were the one that should never have been allowed near the Highland League on anything other than sporting merit (i.e. being promoted up into it).

Edited by cmontheloknow

This would be my idea (in an ideal world), but I doubt it'll happen - 16 team Highland League, with two leagues below it - a Highland Regional League and a North East League.  The HRL would have Fort William, Strathspey Thistle, Golspie Sutherland, Invergordon, Alness United, Nairn St Ninian, Thurso etc. possibly with a rejuvenated Inverness City.  The NEL would have Banks O'Dee, Stonehaven, Culter, New Elgin, Forres Thistle etc.  Have Brodie as the borderline and perhaps some would have to switch between the leagues from time to time to make up the numbers.  Have the winners of these regional leagues play each other with the winner playing the bottom Highland League side.

Again, chances are this'll never happen but it'd be nice if it did.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

This would be my idea (in an ideal world), but I doubt it'll happen - 16 team Highland League, with two leagues below it - a Highland Regional League and a North East League.  The HRL would have Fort William, Strathspey Thistle, Golspie Sutherland, Invergordon, Alness United, Nairn St Ninian, Thurso etc. possibly with a rejuvenated Inverness City.  The NEL would have Banks O'Dee, Stonehaven, Culter, New Elgin, Forres Thistle etc.  Have Brodie as the borderline and perhaps some would have to switch between the leagues from time to time to make up the numbers.  Have the winners of these regional leagues play each other with the winner playing the bottom Highland League side.

Again, chances are this'll never happen but it'd be nice if it did.

There's no way the Dundee and Angus area sides are not coming to the Highland pyramid unless they completely go back to the drawing board and say the Lowland League is everything south of Brechin.

17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

There's no way the Dundee and Angus area sides are not coming to the Highland pyramid unless they completely go back to the drawing board and say the Lowland League is everything south of Brechin.

Oh yeah, never thought of that.  You'd imagine the likes of Lochee United and Dundee Violet would be fairly strong as well.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Strathspey were the one that should never have been allowed near the Highland League on anything other than sporting merit (i.e. being promoted up into it).

Think they were chosen to keep some geographical spread instead of inviting in 3 Aberdeenshire teams. The odd decision for me was letting in Formartine instead of Banks o'Dee. They're doing well now but when they joined it took them years to get their pitch fit for purpose, more postponements than Fort William.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Think they were chosen to keep some geographical spread instead of inviting in 3 Aberdeenshire teams. The odd decision for me was letting in Formartine instead of Banks o'Dee. They're doing well now but when they joined it took them years to get their pitch fit for purpose, more postponements than Fort William.

At least they had a decently good onfield history unlike Strathspey who have pretty much been awful since their inception. I know STFC were filling a missing part of the Highlands but has it really been worth it? Like Fort, do they use many local players or are they importing from Inverness? I know they have also benefitted from EU workers living in Aviemore too.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Must be some ridiculously good away days in the Skye and Lochalsh league. Old Man of Storr vs The Fairy Glen sounds tasty.

Portree apparently had only 9 players most of whom were schoolboys.

They're 2nd bottom but Portree Juniors are 2nd top (who do they field? infants?). Maybe time to promote youth...

Of 9 teams in the league 4 are actually mainland: Mallaig, Glenelg, Kyle, Gairloch-Altbea... which isn't in Lochalsh either!

EDIT: According to league twitter Portree's manager and club officials didn't travel with the boys. They adopted 6-0-2 formation :unsure:. Mallaig rested players.

Edited by HibeeJibee