Fort William tomorrow

Audaces Fortuna Juvat

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Portree apparently had only 9 players most of whom were schoolboys.

They're 2nd bottom but Portree Juniors are 2nd top (who do they field? infants?). Maybe time to promote youth...

Of 9 teams in the league 4 are actually mainland: Mallaig, Glenelg, Kyle, Gairloch-Altbea... which isn't in Lochalsh either!

EDIT: According to league twitter Portree's manager and club officials didn't travel with the boys. They adopted 6-0-2 formation :unsure:. Mallaig rested players.

I'm prety sure Portree used to be pretty dominant out there not that long ago - how quickly things can change!

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I know some people take these things more seriously, but wouldn't it have been better to award a 5-0 win and play a friendly with some of the extra players making up the numbers for Portree?

Yes.

Interestingly (for a given value of interest) the extremes of travel in that league eg Mallaig v GA Utd are played at neutral venues ,as happens in the Highland Am Cup.

I don't see why a feeder league into the HFL couldn't do this even if they weren't divided into eastern and west divisions.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I know some people take these things more seriously, but wouldn't it have been better to award a 5-0 win and play a friendly with some of the extra players making up the numbers for Portree?

Mallaig are 3 points off the title with I presume 2 games left in their league season. The result has given them the best goal difference which is one of the reasons they may have enjoyed one aspect of running up the score.

image.png.3f3308fe0a9b77f6175d1828c10c543c.png

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It seems Portree would've been deducted 3pts and fined £100 for not playing it.

Also going by social media plenty loving them getting a hiding, what goes around comes around, boot on other foot, etc.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Hypothetically would there be any way of letting summer leagues join the pyramid or would clubs switching between summer/winter after promotion/relegation be impossible?

(Looking at you Hibee. You must know examples of this from the Swiss 5th tier or something)

I think it'd be very difficult with the overlapping seasons. Up here, many players play for a summer amateur team and a winter team, usually in the NCL, which often gives issues raising teams early in the winter season as the summer amateurs are heading into cup finals and championship clashes. The player pool is really small, the NCL offers winter football: I guess summer teams could switch to winter, but it'd take two seasons.

18 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Mallaig are 3 points off the title with I presume 2 games left in their league season. The result has given them the best goal difference which is one of the reasons they may have enjoyed one aspect of running up the score.

image.png.3f3308fe0a9b77f6175d1828c10c543c.png

Seen a comment on Twitter saying that the league doesn't come down to Goal Difference.

Will be on holiday in Fort William for a couple of days with my Campervan, notice they play Strathspey Thistle on Wednesday night.  Think I will pop along as Caravan Park is not far from the ground. 

Both teams have no points thus far this season, might the Fort win this one :) or will Strathspey Thistle get their first one of the season. :whistle 

What ever happens can`t see Strathspey scoring 8 or 10 against the Fort but you never know. 

Boo! 1-1. Mind you I've a soft spot for Grantown too..

Strathspey had a man sent off in the 2nd half and were unlucky not to go in front after equalising, Fort had a chance near the end to pinch the points but could not get the winner.
Draw a fair result for both teams.