Aberdeen v Celtic - 25/10/17

32 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I thought McInnes had learned his lesson by the Scottish Cup final, but tonight felt like two steps back. If there is an acceptable way to lose against superior teams, that isn't it. 

Exactly this. It's always likely that they're going to beat us, but we were so passive it was unreal. Celtic were able to play the game at the tempo they wanted, without us doing anything to disrupt them. Exactly the same crap as the league cup final.

The Scottish Cup final and their draw with Hibs showed that you can make Celtic uncomfortable by maintaining a high press and disrupting their play. I can understand why McInnes told them to let Boyata have the ball, but there were times when he'd amble forward until he was 30 yards from our goal without anyone going near him.

As you said, Considine is an issue in games like this (and in Europe). It's not even that he plays all that badly, but, when we're playing good opposition, we can't afford a full-back who isn't comfortable on the ball.

One final thing I'll say is that, seeing them in the flesh, Celtic's off the ball movement is so impressive. They create space for each other out of nothing.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aberdeen were bad because Celtic were so good. Every single Celtic player took that ball and created space so well there, when they didn't have it they pressed Aberdeen so well that they just couldn't do anything.

Rooney was also a total passenger, not his kind of game at all that. Effectively a man down when Celtic had it.

I don't think you can be too harsh on Aberdeen there. Celtic have enough to win every league game by even playing weakened teams and rotating their squads, so that when the big domestic games come round they can plan way in advance for them and have that set of players 100 percent fit and ready to go.

Someone said they hope Dembele doesn't play against them, well, if he doesn't there's Sinclair/Roberts and Griffiths to come in..

Jamama was greeting about tv coverage, in just this week we've had Well v Rangers, Hibs v Hearts and Hearts v Rangers. Yes it's annoying watching a game when you know that Celtic are so on top and likely to win but if that game wasn't on TV tonight everyone would be wondering why. I'd like to see it more mixed up too but it's totally understandable and happens in every league around the world, how many times have Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG/Juve been on the TV this season? The biggest clubs in each league always get shown.

I think we're lucky to have BT now, Sky used to be Rangers/Celtic every single week without fail. Atleast they mix it up a bit, even had championship games last few year.

To be fair Rangers games are incredibly enjoyable at the moment because they're so fucking funny. I don't think you can complain too much.

No one in Scotland will get near Celtic while Rodgers is there. Their strength in depth was shown tonight. The game was won without the need to bring on Sinclair, Griffiths or Roberts and the best non-Celtic player from the last few years got a token run out to rub it in.

Apparently we should all feel grateful for the Champions League money that they have kindly gifted us but as long as they are getting 100 times than any other team then it’s going to damage Scottish football every year they qualify. Not that it’s their fault but the gap is only going to get wider.

56 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

No one in Scotland will get near Celtic while Rodgers is there. Their strength in depth was shown tonight. The game was won without the need to bring on Sinclair, Griffiths or Roberts and the best non-Celtic player from the last few years got a token run out to rub it in.

Apparently we should all feel grateful for the Champions League money that they have kindly gifted us but as long as they are getting 100 times than any other team then it’s going to damage Scottish football every year they qualify. Not that it’s their fault but the gap is only going to get wider.

We don't have a competition now. Celtic will win the treble again this year.

Great for Celtic lads but pish for the rest.

It's not going to change either. Celtic are miles ahead of everyone in all fields. 

Why can't people just accept Celtic are good? Always got to be the other team being shite or the ref or something else

With the budget that Celtic have compared to every other team in the league they should be winning easily. They can simply afford a better calibre of player than the rest.
I think Rodgers deserves credit for bringing a consistency out of the team that his predecessors could not.
However, this lengthy unbeaten domestic run is down to domestic consistency and simply having better players and a better manager than everyone else in the league. It isn't the Herculean feat that many seem to think it is.

Booing Catholics
Booing black players (Dembele)
Glorifying child abuse

And were getting it because we won a football match.

Eh ?

Booing Dembele for persistent diving.

Booing Brown because he is Scott Brown.

We don't have a competition now. Celtic will win the treble again this year.
Great for Celtic lads but pish for the rest.
It's not going to change either. Celtic are miles ahead of everyone in all fields. 

The only ways it’ll change is if Rodgers leaves and they appoint another Deila or Lennon and/or UEFA give the smaller nations even less of a chance of Champions League qualification and they miss out for a number of consecutive years. Unfortunately the golden era of having 10 trophies won by 8 different clubs is over.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

The only ways it’ll change is if Rodgers leaves and they appoint another Deila or Lennon and/or UEFA give the smaller nations even less of a chance of Champions League qualification and they miss out for a number of consecutive years. Unfortunately the golden era of having 10 trophies won by 8 different clubs is over.

Aye it's boring mate. Rodgers won't leave and why would he.

He's a hero up here. His family's settled. Earns a fortune. Wins everything. No pressure.

He never exactly set the fire alight with Liverpool apart from one season inspired by Suarez.

Celtic are the best by miles and it ain't changing.

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I don't see us taking that risk with the next manager.  Rodgers is showing that pushing the boat out to land a manager of his calibre is paying off dividends.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aberdeen were bad because Celtic were so good. Every single Celtic player took that ball and created space so well there, when they didn't have it they pressed Aberdeen so well that they just couldn't do anything.

Rooney was also a total passenger, not his kind of game at all that. Effectively a man down when Celtic had it.

I don't think you can be too harsh on Aberdeen there. Celtic have enough to win every league game by even playing weakened teams and rotating their squads, so that when the big domestic games come round they can plan way in advance for them and have that set of players 100 percent fit and ready to go.

Saves me posting.

Celtic were very good, and when they're like that there's no living with them at all. It's easy to suggest that Aberdeen's rhythm was upset by bringing Considine back in (it was),  but the fact is there was simply nothing we could do. 

Our best player plays for Celtic.

Despite the shite that Lennon talks, over 38 games Aberdeen are still the 2nd best team in the country by a considerable margin. There's still considerable work to be done by McInnes though, given that both Christie and McLean will be gone by May.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Surely Celtic can't go back to back domestic seasons unbeaten...

Quite possibly can. However, one bad game and it's good night, Vienna. We can but hope.

Went to bed at 3-0, quite relieved to see that's how it finished. The debacle at Ibrox cheered me somewhat. Straws, etc...

Well that was thoroughly depressing.

Obviously no complaints about the result, blown away by a far superior team. It's not pleasant to watch your team, supposedly 2nd best in the country, work so hard and yet look so utterly incapable of stopping what's happening.

I must admit I was frustrated at how much we stood off them at times, we seemed very content for boyata to have as much time on the ball as he liked while all that rotation went on ahead of him.

Shinnie put in a good shift I thought but no one else was really allowed the chance to look good.

I think we could have defended the goals better, not sure if Logan or GMS was culpable for the first but someone needs to be tracking tierney better.

Rooney should definitely not start games such as these.

Archived