Getting the **** out of dodge

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 05:32, Fullerene said:

The Americans still get pissed off that Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series two years in a row.
Also, the whole idea that it is the "World Series" when Toronto and Montreal were the only teams from outside the USA.

Other countries like Cuba and Japan are keen on baseball but I seriously doubt there are plans to a genuine World Series with teams from around the world.

If you move to somewhere like Green Bay, Wisconsin - you are definitely required to love American football (even if secretly you don't).

I also recall somebody saying real football (as in the game that is played mostly by moving the ball with your feet) is the most common school sport in America - simply because it is cheaper.

Oh, and as has been said before, if you hate the national anthem - then avoid all sporting events - even at a school level.

Never heard anybody be upset other than joking about the Jays winning the series. I loved those teams as a kid. There are plenty of people who think that US leagues should be US leagues only. I'm not one of them, and of those who do I can't think of anybody who cares that much. I think Montreal should get the Expos back and Quebec should get the Nordiques back, even if it comes at the expense of US cities. I am dead set against putting full time teams in Mexico or the UK.

We call it a World Championship in any sport where our domestic league is obviously the best in the world. Japanese baseball is generally considered somewhere between AAA and Major League level. The Caribbean Winter Leagues are a strange mix of people who are Major League stars and people who would struggle to make the top high school teams in the US.

Soccer has been one of the top organized participation sport for decades. I played baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and tennis at some form of organized level as a kid. In my experience soccer was the one that the kids and parents cared least about, and it was very, very rare that pickup neighborhood games occurred. I never had a coach who had played the game at higher than a high school level. Most were just random dads who'd never even played. There was a subculture of traveling teams and kids who focused on soccer, but those kids were always viewed as a bit different. Rich nerds if I had to put my finger on it. Think it's changed somewhat by now as I was part of the last generation where it was very odd to focus on one sport, but soccer still seems to be way behind basketball, baseball, and football in how well it's organized for average kids at the very local level. (Football is about advancing a ball on foot versus horseback or stick and ball sports.)

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

(Football is about advancing a ball on foot versus horseback or stick and ball sports.)

That's the first time I've heard that definition. Does that mean that in basketball, the ball is advanced by basket? How is it advanced in baseball?

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

We call it a World Championship in any sport where our domestic league is obviously the best in the world.

It's a wonder the English haven't started referring to the EPL as the World Championship.

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

That's the first time I've heard that definition. Does that mean that in basketball, the ball is advanced by basket? How is it advanced in baseball?

It's a wonder the English haven't started referring to the EPL as the World Championship.

I'm under the impression that the US, Canada, Ireland, and Australia all call something besides soccer "football." It's because the term football in the English language didn't have anything specifically to do with kicking the ball.

I'm under the impression that the US, Canada, Ireland, and Australia all call something besides soccer "football." It's because the term football in the English language didn't have anything specifically to do with kicking the ball.
you actually saying the Americans used grammar as an excuse for their fucked up ways?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 02:08, Stellaboz said:
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 00:50, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

you actually saying the Americans used grammar as an excuse for their fucked up ways?

You guys need to learn some cultural humility. Not everyone is exactly the same as you. No need to insist that everyone in the world do things your way.

30 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Stella issuing a telt to the world? G’on yersel! Get them telt!

The boys probably just discovered the Pascha and is wondering why he didn't move to Germany much earlier.

Archived