c***s on the road

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Or be aware of your mirrors and be capable of making judgements on relative speeds in lanes, act accordingly with courtesy for everyone, and then no one need trouble their pants. 

I do that of course, but on a congested motorway or a single carriageway with nowhere to pull over you still get tailgaters. I'm not going to speed up to get closer to the car in front, so the only way to keep safe distances is to make the tailgater shit themselves. 

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

Driving down and back to England on the M74 a few times a year it's easy for my speed to creep up to 80 plus but there is always someone up your arse wanting past no matter what speed i'm going so it's no big deal. 

I actually don’t mind that even if I am sitting slightly above the limit and someone comes up behind me, I will over take the cars on my left until I find a gap to pull in and let the speedracer pass. The scenario that annoys me much more is when you are sitting in traffic on the M8 at 7.30 in the morning and nobody in the outside lane is going faster than say 50, and you can visibly see that even if you get past the car infront you will still have another 40 in the same position. When someone feels the need to sit 2 inches from your bumper in this situation, swinging out from time to time as if they are about to undertake everyone on a packed motorway, then these people deserve a bit of retribution. 

That’s just reminded me of one of the most satisfying things that you can see on a motorway...the car that thinks everyone is going too slow for them and fires down the inside at an incredible rate to undertake everyone. Only to inevitably get stuck behind a slower moving car and has to sit there as everyone, including people that had been previously behind this car, get to re-overtake them. I always look in to them with a big Ryan Porteous smug gif face. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not defending tailgaters here  @welshbairn but if a car behind thinks they can get past you before the next HGV in lane 1 or 2 and is making such intention clear, and you’re in no particular hurry, why wouldn’t you let them past? 

As I've repeatedly said, if there's room to pull over, pull over. Just don't make your decisions on safe driving based on intimidation from the car behind. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As I've repeatedly said, if there's room to pull over, pull over. Just don't make your decisions on safe driving based on intimidation from the car behind. 

^^^absolute nailed on guy who sits in the outside lane of an empty motorway getting angry that the car driving up their bumper is ‘intimidating’ them. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I think this conversation is gaining an irretrievable wobble but the slower car losing (say) 5 mph and letting the other guy past in 200yds is far preferable to it holding its ground for a mile or so and raising everybody’s blood pressure until he think he’s got the space to pull in while maintaining his sedate pace. The faster should be able to dictate the pace, not the slower. 

and, for the avoidance of doubt, as I age I find myself increasingly the position of the puller-overer(?) than the faster guy. Doesn’t however mean we can’t all share the same tarmac for our own uses if used courteously. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

^^^absolute nailed on guy who sits in the outside lane of an empty motorway getting angry that the car driving up their bumper is ‘intimidating’ them. 

We're obviously talking at cross purposes so I'll exit this chat. Lane hoggers are bad, so are tailgaters but more dangerous. Driving would be a more pleasant experience if both offences got automatic points.

15 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Absolutely amazing that folk reckon that being an entitled pushy c**t is normal behaviour.

It’s also absolutely amazing that folk reckon they can saunter along the motorway at any speed they please whist disobeying the very VERY simple rule of moving over to the left to allow faster travelling vehicles to pass them, at the same time as calling these drivers ‘entitled pushy c***s’. I may have over-egged my actions earlier but if someone is sitting in the outside lane with not another car in sight, then I see me coming up close behind them as a reminder that they should probably pull over, and most people do. I’m not flashing and peeping like a maniac but I will sit behind them for 30 odd seconds and if they still maintain the outside lane is the only place they should be, they get undertaken and made to look like the dick they are. The majority of the time they don’t even have a clue they are doing anything wrong and are still sitting in the outside when I glance back in my mirror. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We're obviously talking at cross purposes so I'll exit this chat. Lane hoggers are bad, so are tailgaters but more dangerous. Driving would be a more pleasant experience if both offences got automatic points.

As I said earlier I regularly see police vehicles sitting in the middle lane and not overtaking anyone, so can’t see them issuing points for that particular offence any time soon. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I will sit behind them for 30 odd seconds and if they still maintain the outside lane is the only place they should be, they get undertaken and made to look like the dick they are. The majority of the time they don’t even have a clue they are doing anything wrong and are still sitting in the outside when I glance back in my mirror. 

:lol: 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

:lol: 

I’m aware that makes me sound like a bit of an entitled dick that thinks the outside lane is for me and me only, but that scenario maybe only occurs twice a year. If someone sits long enough in the outside lane of an empty motorway that they have another car travelling faster up behind them, and they don’t pull over to at least the middle lane, then I would genuinely say they are too stupid to deserve a license. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

I’m aware that makes me sound like a bit of an entitled dick that thinks the outside lane is for me and me only, but that scenario maybe only occurs twice a year. If someone sits long enough in the outside lane of an empty motorway that they have another car travelling faster up behind them, and they don’t pull over to at least the middle lane, then I would genuinely say they are too stupid to deserve a license. 

I'm just picturing you on an empty motorway, presumably on the inside lane because why not, and suddenly you see an old doddery couple on the outside lane. You angrily switch 2 lanes and pull up behind them seething, wait 30 seconds then whisk past them in the middle lane to teach them a lesson, leaving them oblivious talking about their grandchildren. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just picturing you on an empty motorway, presumably on the inside lane because why not, and suddenly you see an old doddery couple on the outside lane. You angrily switch 2 lanes and pull up behind them seething, wait 30 seconds then whisk past them in the middle lane to teach them a lesson, leaving them oblivious talking about their grandchildren. :rolleyes:

:lol: To be honest I wouldn’t do that, because in my opinion being undertaken by someone on the inside lane while you fart about in the outside lane is the ultimate humiliation. 

Also, why would it matter if it was an old doddery couple or a 20 year old bam. Everyone should be abiding by the same rules when travelling on a motorway, and if an old doddery couple think it’s alright to do that then they should have their license taken from them. 

And the reason I would be in the inside lane in this scenario is because it’s the only lane any sensible person would drive in on an empty motorway. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Is this ‘brake testing’ thing not incredibly stupid? If the car that is tailgating you proceeds to smash in to you, would you not be more likely to be found to be at fault for braking harshly unnecessarily unless you have a rear dash cam or a witness in the car that can vouch they were actually tailgating?

13 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Is this ‘brake testing’ thing not incredibly stupid? If the car that is tailgating you proceeds to smash in to you, would you not be more likely to be found to be at fault for braking harshly unnecessarily unless you have a rear dash cam or a witness in the car that can vouch they were actually tailgating?

99 times out 100 the person behind will be found to have been at fault, and probably rightly so in that sort of situation as you should be leaving a reasonable distance taking into account reaction time, stopping distance and weather conditions. 

But you are correct that it’s incredibly stupid for someone to do if they are sitting in the outside lane, forcing anyone who wants to pass them to undertake. As someone else said earlier it’s much easier for the slower vehicle to pull into the left (as they rightfully should do) and let the faster travelling vehicle pass, rather than taking some sort of moral standpoint against someone being too close to their bumper because they don’t have the courtesy or driving knowledge to see that they are in the wrong lane, and pull over either into the driving lane or the middle lane if they are also passing slower moving vehicles. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

39 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The brake testing thing is just tapping the brake pedal, flashing the red lights to warn the car behind it's getting too close, it doesn't slow the car down.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The brake testing thing is just tapping the brake pedal, flashing the red lights to warn the car behind it's getting too close, it doesn't slow the car down.

It’s not as innocent a move as you make out as it could then see the person travelling behind to stamp hard down on the brake pedal to avoid a potential collision, and run the risk of a car behind them not being able to stop in time and smashing into them. This sort of move becomes even more idiotic on a quiet motorway where the car doing the ‘brake testing’ has had ample time and space to move to their left, as has been said a hundred times, where they should be. 

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s not as innocent a move as you make out as it could then see the person travelling behind to stamp hard down on the brake pedal to avoid a potential collision, and run the risk of a car behind them not being able to stop in time and smashing into them. This sort of move becomes even more idiotic on a quiet motorway where the car doing the ‘brake testing’ has had ample time and space to move to their left, as has been said a hundred times, where they should be. 

You really are tearing the arse out of this.

Back off, no problem.

Stop trying to justify the tailgater being in the right.

It’s also absolutely amazing that folk reckon they can saunter along the motorway at any speed they please whist disobeying the very VERY simple rule of moving over to the left to allow faster travelling vehicles to pass them, at the same time as calling these drivers ‘entitled pushy c***s’. I may have over-egged my actions earlier but if someone is sitting in the outside lane with not another car in sight, then I see me coming up close behind them as a reminder that they should probably pull over, and most people do. I’m not flashing and peeping like a maniac but I will sit behind them for 30 odd seconds and if they still maintain the outside lane is the only place they should be, they get undertaken and made to look like the dick they are. The majority of the time they don’t even have a clue they are doing anything wrong and are still sitting in the outside when I glance back in my mirror. 
Very odd behaviour.