c***s on the road

50 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

You really are tearing the arse out of this.

Back off, no problem.

Stop trying to justify the tailgater being in the right.

I’m genuinely not saying tailgating is right, and as I said earlier if the tailgater was to go into the back of the car in front they would rightly be held responsible. However, every scenario I have mentioned so far can be avoided by people learning and obeying the rules stated very clearly on the Highway Code, that ALL driving should be done in the left hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If it wasn’t such a regular occurrence to see people travelling in one of the two overtaking lanes with not another car in sight then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. It’s probably not as dangerous as tailgating, but it’s still dangerous as it forces faster moving vehicles to pass on the left. I see it untold amount of times every single day of my life, and I do believe that some of the people just don’t know that motorway driving should be done in the left hand lane, except when you are passing another slower moving vehicle. 

You claim I am trying to justify tailgaters being in the right, at the same time as justifying people who don’t drive according to the rules of the Highway Code, just because they are being tailgated. It’s a vicious circle here, tailgaters in this situation wouldn’t exist if these people didn’t commit the initial offence of not driving in the correct lane. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:
3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:
It’s also absolutely amazing that folk reckon they can saunter along the motorway at any speed they please whist disobeying the very VERY simple rule of moving over to the left to allow faster travelling vehicles to pass them, at the same time as calling these drivers ‘entitled pushy c***s’. I may have over-egged my actions earlier but if someone is sitting in the outside lane with not another car in sight, then I see me coming up close behind them as a reminder that they should probably pull over, and most people do. I’m not flashing and peeping like a maniac but I will sit behind them for 30 odd seconds and if they still maintain the outside lane is the only place they should be, they get undertaken and made to look like the dick they are. The majority of the time they don’t even have a clue they are doing anything wrong and are still sitting in the outside when I glance back in my mirror. 

Very odd behaviour.

I assume you mean the undertaking? As everything else in that post is just basic motorway knowledge that it appears a good 60% of the driving population are unaware of. Well aware passing on the left is an offence but I don’t like to be driving that close to someone who obviously hasn’t got the first idea how a motorway works, so god knows what else they would have up their sleeve. 

Get the feeling there is a lot of posters on this topic who have been away telling stories to their friends and family that they had a car sitting right up their arse on the outside of lane of the motorway for no reason at all...whilst they drive about oblivious to the rules of the road. 

6 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Tarmac lorrys travelling up the A7 with every single light on full

Been noticing more and more recently that a lot of trucks have the front of their cabs lit up with blue lights shaped in a triangle with flashing amber lights on top. Possibly they’ve always been like this and I’ve never noticed but I don’t think so. 

On a similar vein to your post, cars that drive around with their fog lights on in the height of the summer because the driver thinks that it makes the car look better, and people who park up at the side of the road while facing oncoming traffic and leave their main beam on can also be added to c***s on the road. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Been noticing more and more recently that a lot of trucks have the front of their cabs lit up with blue lights shaped in a triangle with flashing amber lights on top. Possibly they’ve always been like this and I’ve never noticed but I don’t think so. 

they had a shit tone of blue and white lights on there cabs there amber beacons were the only lights not on 

1 minute ago, ajwffc said:

they had a shit tone of blue and white lights on there cabs there amber beacons were the only lights not on 

Maybe Volvo or Scania have started making their new trucks with these lights all over them, because I really can’t recall seeing them in the past. The only sort of trucks I remember seeing with the flashing lights etc. were the wide load vehicles carrying parts for the rigs when I used to work up in Aberdeen, but these ones I’ve been spotting recently have been trucks with the space for a standard sized container on their trailer. 

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

On a similar vein to your post, cars that drive around with their fog lights on in the height of the summer because the driver thinks that it makes the car look better, and people who park up at the side of the road while facing oncoming traffic and leave their main beam on can also be added to c***s on the road. 

I've always wondered how they get away with those lights -

Generally, all lights and retro reflectors showing to the front of the vehicle must be white and all those showing to the rear must be red. The exception is direction indicators and side marker lamps, which must be amber.

A red light may be shown to the front of a vehicle when it is:

• a red and white chequered domed lamp or a mast mounted flashing beacon fitted to a fire service vehicle

A white light may be shown to the rear of a vehicle when it is:

• for the purpose of reversing

• to illuminate the interior of a vehicle

• to illuminate the rear number plate

• the international distinguishing sign of the UK incorporated in the retro-reflective rear number plate in accordance with EC Regulation No. 2411/98

• to illuminate a taxi meter or public service vehicle destination blind

• when a work lamp is used to illuminate a working area or the scene of an accident, breakdown or roadworks in the vicinity of the vehicle.

Lamps showing other colours may be fitted to vehicles used by the emergency and other services.

https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/vehicle-lighting-requirements/indepth

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

I've always wondered how they get away with those lights -

Generally, all lights and retro reflectors showing to the front of the vehicle must be white and all those showing to the rear must be red. The exception is direction indicators and side marker lamps, which must be amber.

A red light may be shown to the front of a vehicle when it is:

• a red and white chequered domed lamp or a mast mounted flashing beacon fitted to a fire service vehicle

A white light may be shown to the rear of a vehicle when it is:

• for the purpose of reversing

• to illuminate the interior of a vehicle

• to illuminate the rear number plate

• the international distinguishing sign of the UK incorporated in the retro-reflective rear number plate in accordance with EC Regulation No. 2411/98

• to illuminate a taxi meter or public service vehicle destination blind

• when a work lamp is used to illuminate a working area or the scene of an accident, breakdown or roadworks in the vicinity of the vehicle.

Lamps showing other colours may be fitted to vehicles used by the emergency and other services.

https://app.croneri.co.uk/topics/vehicle-lighting-requirements/indepth

Literally haven’t got a wink of sleep wondering how they get away with it. I’ve contacted the Department of Transport and have tweeted Grant Shapps so I will let you know how it ends up. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Literally haven’t got a wink of sleep wondering how they get away with it. I’ve contacted the Department of Transport and have tweeted Grant Shapps so I will let you know how it ends up. 

Make sure you do. 

ETA - nothing to do with the number of lorries with their blue and red illuminated The Rangers logos in the cabs. 

Edited by NewBornBairn

15 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Make sure you do. 

ETA - nothing to do with the number of lorries with their blue and red illuminated The Rangers logos in the cabs. 

I have actually seen that before. Would probably be fair to say a Rangers supporter who is also a lorry driver doesn’t have that much to show off, so will allow it on this occasion. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Those people should be shot. Selfish, inconsiderate behaviour of the highest order.

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Those people should be shot. Selfish, inconsiderate behaviour of the highest order.

It really is. Especially with the strength of some of these headlights nowadays. If you are going to be sitting facing oncoming traffic for any more than 10 seconds it’s easy enough to switch the lights off. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

It really is. Especially with the strength of some of these headlights nowadays. If you are going to be sitting facing oncoming traffic for any more than 10 seconds it’s easy enough to switch the lights off. 

It's bad enough facing these lights driving towards you when they are on the correct side of the road, it really is horrendous when they are facing you on "your" side of the road.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's bad enough facing these lights driving towards you when they are on the correct side of the road, it really is horrendous when they are facing you on "your" side of the road.

Audis and Peugeot’s for some reason seem to have absolutely blinding main beams, especially the newer ones. It can be a bit of a worrying experience having one of them coming towards you on a winding back road in the pitch dark.