c***s on the road

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Just about the first and most obvious rule of single track roads - there are signs everywhere - is ‘use passing places to allow overtaking’. 

Why people feel the need to deliberately impede someone else on the road still baffles me. 

If I'm doing 30mph in a 30 zone and someone is up my arse, I'm not impeding them, they're behaving like an arsehole. 

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Who?

RONNIE PICKERING!!!

Personally, I work on the 2 second rule of safe driving.  If someone is tailgating, I'll slow down so there's a 2 second gap between us.

If there's an oppertunity for them to get passed, fair enough, if not they can sit at whatever speed that 2 second gap entails for their and my safety.

Doing so definitely* saved a rear end collision/auld wifie getting flattened in Edinburgh as I had to "slam on" the brakes at about 10 mph when she stepped out in front of me.  Gave the previously tailgating c**t behind me that 2 second gap to stop. *(Yes, I know had I being doing 30mph we'd both been past her but still...)

@19QOS19 yourvmulti quote seems to have mucked up the reply function but: 

1. I (and I may be wrong) think this conversation came about by way of people’s behaviour on dual carriageways or motorways so we were talking around 70mph limits; and 

2. the National Speed Limit applies to the single track roads you describe so that’s 60mph, not 30mph. 

No wonder that van was keen to get past you! 

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Didn't notice his post count until after he'd starting spraying the red dots about. He seems to have got the hang of those pretty quickly for a new poster. And as I type I see that's a habit you've adopted too.

Nae need.

The guy seems like a total sasij, more interested in brandishing out dislikes rather than offering a viewpoint, not even worth replying too. 

Edited by Butters Scotch

7 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

True story, honest. 

Many years ago I was cut up by a van on the Bow flyover in East London. I gave the offender a blast of the horn and a friendly two-finger wave, and was greeted in return by him raising what looked very much like a sawn-off shotgun from the passenger seat, accompanied by a raised eyebrow and body language which I took to be him asking whether I wanted to stop and discuss the matter further. Needless to say, I didn't, and I've been a lot more circumspect behind the wheel ever since.

Aye.

I once slowed down to stop a Passat that was clearly doing about 50 in a 20.

It swung out to overtake me, into oncoming traffic, and genuinely had about 8 folk in the car with their jaws swinging who didn't seem to even realise I was there.

Seen it on the A9 too where a tailgater overtook then cut across the person who'd been in front of them and blocked the whole road as he confronted them.

You just don't know who's in the other car.

7 hours ago, alta-pete said:

@19QOS19 yourvmulti quote seems to have mucked up the reply function but: 

1. I (and I may be wrong) think this conversation came about by way of people’s behaviour on dual carriageways or motorways so we were talking around 70mph limits; and 

2. the National Speed Limit applies to the single track roads you describe so that’s 60mph, not 30mph. 

No wonder that van was keen to get past you! 

1) The speed of the road is irrelevant. The point remains the same. 

2) You seem to have just made up a story in your mind here. I never said I was doing 30 in a 60, I said I was doing well below the speed limit given the conditions. I had no issue letting the van past and never claimed he was tailgating. I only told that story as it was the only time I'd let someone pass me.

I was following a hearse on the motorway. It was going kind of slow in the middle lane. I thought, I can't overtake it as that would be disrespectful.

So I decided to undertake. 

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I see we have now reached the point where indicating at roundabouts is entirely optional.

Wasn't this point reached years ago? 

16 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I see we have now reached the point where indicating at roundabouts is entirely optional.

Or indicating incorrectly. See quite a lot of the indicating right at smaller roundabouts when going straight on, tremendously useful driving. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I was following a hearse on the motorway. It was going kind of slow in the middle lane. I thought, I can't overtake it as that would be disrespectful.

So I decided to undertake. 

8 Best I See What You Did There Meme picture 2021 | Memes ...

17 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Assuming you're driving at the speed limit and not one of those "40-in-a-60" types, then pulling in to let them past merely rewards and reinforces their bad behaviour. Better that they're stuck behind me than letting them through to give some hypothetical little old lady further down the road a heart attack.

With more and more Teslas and their like on the road now with 360-degree cameras, you'd hope they'll soon be forced be adopt better habits.

It makes you safe as you are out of the situation. Why you would not want to do this because it rewards and reinforces their bad behaviour beggars belief.

You delibrately hold them up, block their way or irritate them will make them angrier and put you and other road users at more risk.

12 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Personally, I work on the 2 second rule of safe driving.  If someone is tailgating, I'll slow down so there's a 2 second gap between us.

If there's an oppertunity for them to get passed, fair enough, if not they can sit at whatever speed that 2 second gap entails for their and my safety.

Doing so definitely* saved a rear end collision/auld wifie getting flattened in Edinburgh as I had to "slam on" the brakes at about 10 mph when she stepped out in front of me.  Gave the previously tailgating c**t behind me that 2 second gap to stop. *(Yes, I know had I being doing 30mph we'd both been past her but still...)

How can you possibly make a car behind you be 2 seconds away. 

You can make yourself 2 seconds behind the car in front of you but not the car behind. In the wet or bad conditions make it 4 seconds.

22 minutes ago, Big Bobo said:

How can you possibly make a car behind you be 2 seconds away. 

You can make yourself 2 seconds behind the car in front of you but not the car behind. In the wet or bad conditions make it 4 seconds.

By slowing down to the point that the very small gap is 2 seconds.  The closer the car the slower the speed.

When up north I always let the psycho country bumpkins past on single track roads, they go flying round blind bends at 60mph, wether you know the road or not you don't know what's coming round the corner.

Would I f**k be pulling over whilst doing the speed limit on a normal road to let some raging gammon past.

Dual carriageways and motorways only in the outside lane overtaking and even if I am going faster than the lane next to me if I see someone racing up behind me I'll let them past when safe.

Had a weird one coming back from Stirling the other week. His behaviour epitomised a c**t on the road. Needless to say he was driving a Range Rover and was in the middle lane with f**k all ahead of him. I was in the inside lane, travelling faster so obviously had to go all the way out to the fast lane to pass the p***k. When I pulled back in I obviously pulled right across him into the inside lane (to highlight he had no reason to be in the middle lane). Continued and about 5 seconds later I looked in my rear view mirror to see the moron had pulled out into the fast lane. 

Absolutely bizarre behaviour and clearly did it to show "I'll drive how I like". Twat. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had a weird one coming back from Stirling the other week. His behaviour epitomised a c**t on the road. Needless to say he was driving a Range Rover and was in the middle lane with f**k all ahead of him. I was in the inside lane, travelling faster so obviously had to go all the way out to the fast lane to pass the p***k. When I pulled back in I obviously pulled right across him into the inside lane (to highlight he had no reason to be in the middle lane). Continued and about 5 seconds later I looked in my rear view mirror to see the moron had pulled out into the fast lane. 

Absolutely bizarre behaviour and clearly did it to show "I'll drive how I like". Twat. 

Had similar at the weekend. I was on the M9, driving up the inside lane doing 70, and there was a guy on the outside lane doing about 65. Nothing in the inside lane next to him - he was overtaking fresh air. 

I had 2 options - carry on and undertake him, or pull in behind him and hope he takes the hint. 

I was saved the decision by his turning off appearing and he went across 2 lanes to get to it. 

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

@alta-pete drives one of these pimptractors.

Jist sayin', likesay...................................

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

By slowing down to the point that the very small gap is 2 seconds.  The closer the car the slower the speed.

Sorry I still do not get this. The slower you go the closer the other car will get to you.