Hamilton Academical v Partick Thistle

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m really disappointed we never won that, but it was a much improved performance on Saturday. I don’t think you can criticise the players and I think Archibald got his team and formation spot on.

Steven McLean was utterly horrendous throughout. He was wildly incompetent.

Good things about that game :
1) the accies boy hammering it into the pie stall via a bottle of sauce. 
2)

2) Davie Irons sitting in the Jags end.

3) Tinpot Accies’ attempt at dating the tickets.

bb324d0075699fc03d82973cdc7c9072.jpg

The jags edged a shitfest first half, accies shaded the second half , clearest opening was Storey bearing down on our goal and blazing the ball well over, our clearest opportunity fell to Templeton who missed the target from 12 yards , all in all an absolute horror of a game , the fans of both clubs deserve medals for the devotion shown on a miserably wet and cold night. Think both clubs unless major improvements are forthcoming could find themselves occupying the bottom 2 places come the end of the season , and on tonight's dire showing both would be relegated. 

The big positive we can take from tonight's game was a clean sheet and the return of Woods.

Based simply on tonight, Thistle’s midfield seemed to be a lot better defensively than you lot have said, but I obviously haven’t really seen them this season other than tonight. Barton and Edwards tracked Docherty and Boyd - then Templeton - all game. They completely nullified Boyd, but they did struggle when Templeton began drifting wide and finding space that Boyd couldn’t.
Archibald also knew how to get at us, the long ball in behind the wide centre-back, but didn’t really have the players to latch onto it. Could it have been worth playing Sammon and Storey?

Anyone know what the switch of Donati for Tomas was for? It seemed a strange one as Tomas didn't looked injured and was doing OK defensively.  The 1st half was torture. Hardly any football played whatsoever but both team opened up a bit in the 2nd and were a bit more adventurous.  Our strikers were feeding off scraps as Thistle's midfield  practically nullified ours the whole game.  Great chance for Temps in the 2nd half.  Apart from that we never really created much or troubled their keeper.  A point was a fair result.

5 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Anyone know what the switch of Donati for Tomas was for? It seemed a strange one as Tomas didn't looked injured and was doing OK defensively.  The 1st half was torture. Hardly any football played whatsoever but both team opened up a bit in the 2nd and were a bit more adventurous.  Our strikers were feeding off scraps as Thistle's midfield  practically nullified ours the whole game.  Great chance for Temps in the 2nd half.  Apart from that we never really created much or troubled their keeper.  A point was a fair result.

Tomas appeared to tweak his hamstring , he signalled to the bench he couldn't continue , Canning reacted instantly and made the substitution.

Can only assume it’s due to Donati being better on the ball and being able to step into midfield, but Thistle’s front 2 and Spittal pressed the 3 centre-backs constantly anyway so Woods was always gonna go long. It can sometimes help when he gives an extra number in midfield, though.
Is there any real danger of Archie being sacked, or has he almost got a job for as long as he wants it?

32 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ooft.

Leefy has done a number on you lads.

At least we didn't concede. That's all.

Pulling out the post-match multi-quote is the real "ooft" here, I'm afraid.

Pretty dreadful fare all round... rain, wind and the pitch made it impossible for either team to get the ball down.

Best summed up by the passage of play where we were caught offside. Accies took the FK long but were flagged offside from the kick. We took the FK and went straight to one of their defenders who battered it out of play in our half.

Both teams missed a sitter, both teams should have had a penalty I think -the Keown foul (or Neil Neon as the Accies anouncer said) at the end of the first half looked inside the box to me and the handball by Imrie seemed blatant, both teams were shit scared to lose. Draw was fair.

Not making any subs was a bit odd, don't know if it's a squad rotation thing with so many players out but Doolan was getting no change at all 2nd half and Sammon as a big lump might have been useful.

37 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ooft.

Leefy has done a number on you lads.

At least we didn't concede. That's all.

Who's Leefy? First clean sheet of the season ya bellend that is all.. 

16 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Pretty dreadful fare all round... rain, wind and the pitch made it impossible for either team to get the ball down.

Best summed up by the passage of play where we were caught offside. Accies took the FK long but were flagged offside from the kick. We took the FK and went straight to one of their defenders who battered it out of play in our half.

Both teams missed a sitter, both teams should have had a penalty I think -the Keown foul (or Neil Neon as the Accies anouncer said) at the end of the first half looked inside the box to me and the handball by Imrie seemed blatant, both teams were shit scared to lose. Draw was fair.

Not making any subs was a bit odd, don't know if it's a squad rotation thing with so many players out but Doolan was getting no change at all 2nd half and Sammon as a big lump might have been useful.

Was surprised Archie didn't try freshen things up front for you , for once I felt reasonably confident that the attacking options Thistle started the match with were being dealt with efficiently by our extremely shaky defence, think Archie's reasoning for leaving Doolan on is his goal-scoring record against us.

Archived